trac tags

Scott Merrill
A brief discussion at the IRC meetup last night confirmed that the
bg|commit tag is useful to Ryan when making commits to the code.

In a similar vein, the list of commit candidates (trac report #9) was
modified to provide a chronological view of tickets, rather than a list
grouped by owner.

Finally, it was tentatively agreed that the bg| prefix from tags can
reasonably be dropped.  We can collectively make an effort to remove the
 bg| prefix from all current _open_ tickets, and then modify the reports
as needed.  I figure if everyone chips and and modifies a dozen or so
tickets, we could be done in a day or two.

Cheers,
Scott

--
[hidden email] | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35

Re: trac tags

David House
On 16/02/06, Scott Merrill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Finally, it was tentatively agreed that the bg| prefix from tags can
> reasonably be dropped.  We can collectively make an effort to remove the
>  bg| prefix from all current _open_ tickets, and then modify the reports
> as needed.  I figure if everyone chips and and modifies a dozen or so
> tickets, we could be done in a day or two.

Quickly wondering why we might want to do this? I kinda like the
namespacing, it seperates the meta tags from the actual tags, so to
speak.

--
-David House, [hidden email], http://xmouse.ithium.net

Re: trac tags

Mark Jaquith
On Feb 16, 2006, at 8:46 AM, Scott Merrill wrote:

> Finally, it was tentatively agreed that the bg| prefix from tags can
> reasonably be dropped.  We can collectively make an effort to
> remove the
>  bg| prefix from all current _open_ tickets, and then modify the
> reports
> as needed.  I figure if everyone chips and and modifies a dozen or so
> tickets, we could be done in a day or two.

I'm modifying the reports now.  No harm in this, as LIKE '%commit%'
will match "bg|commit" as well as "commit", so this can be a seamless
change.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/

Re: trac tags

David House
On 16/02/06, Mark Jaquith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm modifying the reports now.  No harm in this, as LIKE '%commit%'
> will match "bg|commit" as well as "commit", so this can be a seamless
> change.

This is going to wreak havoc with my wp-trac inbox... :)

David House wrote:

> On 16/02/06, Scott Merrill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Finally, it was tentatively agreed that the bg| prefix from tags can
>> reasonably be dropped.  We can collectively make an effort to remove the
>>  bg| prefix from all current _open_ tickets, and then modify the reports
>> as needed.  I figure if everyone chips and and modifies a dozen or so
>> tickets, we could be done in a day or two.
>
> Quickly wondering why we might want to do this? I kinda like the
> namespacing, it seperates the meta tags from the actual tags, so to
> speak.

Since more hands are touching trac, it makes some sense to drop the bg|
prefix to something more easily understood.  "bg|" stood for "Bug
Gardener", and was a token used by us to quickly put some sense to the
jungle of tickets.  The notion of "bug gardener" has diminished
somewhat, with the influx of trac participation, so removing that prefix
seems to make some sense.

But hey, if the majority wants to keep it, I won't care.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 8:56 AM, David House wrote:

> This is going to wreak havoc with my wp-trac inbox... :)

You know, there's really no reason to go back and change the old
ones.  They'll still be picked up by the reports, which is what
really matters.  I wasn't at the meetup (have a conflict with the
time, unfortunately), but I've definitely noticed Matt and Ryan both
making use of the commit report.
--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/

Re: trac tags

Jamie Talbot

Re: trac tags

Abhay Kumar
> [snip]
> Can anybody put a 'commit' tag onto a bug?  Or does it have to be a dev, bug-gardener, contributing
> developer etc...?  If we can, what are the requirements for such a tag to be added?

There is no barrier that prevents you from putting in a commit tag
onto a bug. normally when some one wants to submit a patch that should
be looked at by a bug gardener or a dev (if nothing else, for
redundancy), we use the bg|has-patch tag.

-Abhay

--
Abhay Kumar
http://abhaykumar.net/

Re: trac tags

Jamie Talbot

Re: trac tags

Ryan Boren
Jamie Talbot wrote:

> Abhay Kumar wrote:
>
>>There is no barrier that prevents you from putting in a commit tag
>>onto a bug. normally when some one wants to submit a patch that should
>>be looked at by a bug gardener or a dev (if nothing else, for
>>redundancy), we use the bg|has-patch tag.
>

> I know /technically/ there's nothing stopping me from putting 'commit' onto a bug, I just want to
> know if it is considered bad form for just any random person (i.e., me) to add it.  It might seem a
> bit presumptuous.

I like commit to mean the patch has been tested and reviewed by at least
  one person beyond the author.  It needs to mean something more than
has-patch.  I look to see who adds the commit tag and give more weight
to those I know.  I'm more confident in the commit worthyness of a patch
when other regular contributors give it the commit tag.  But, anyone who
has tested the patch can add the tag.  You can also add a comment to the
bug saying you tested or reviewed it.

Ryan

Re: trac tags

Jamie Talbot