roadmap & wp.org search? -was- Re: Wordpress development roadmap?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

roadmap & wp.org search? -was- Re: Wordpress development roadmap?

Lloyd Budd-3
On 3/16/06, Scott Merrill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Where do I find the current development roadmap?
>
> http://trac.wordpress.org/roadmap

Ouch,  http://wordpress.org/search/roadmap does not find it, even after I
added  "Roadmap" to http://codex.wordpress.org/Developer_Documentation .

I search on Tester, test, QA, and documentation, and none of the searches
find anything?!
http://wordpress.org/search/

> How long until the next release?
>
> "When it's done."

What is an estimate when 2.1 will be? example Q4 2006.

And an estimate on 2.5 will be?

> What are the goals?
>
> At the least, the eliminaiton of open bugs.  Beyond that, whatever Matt
> and Ryan feel like including.

Is Severity="enhancement", the correct way for me to identify what are new
planned features for 2.1 ? Any way for me to identify roughly when they are
planned to be implemented, what are the highest risk, or most "interesting"
items?
http://trac.wordpress.org/query?action=view&status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&severity=enhancement&milestone=2.1&order=priority

--
Peace be in you,
Lloyd D Budd
http://www.foolswisdom.com/~lloyd/
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: roadmap & wp.org search? -was- Re: Wordpress development roadmap?

Douglas Stewart-3
[hidden email] wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Scott Merrill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Where do I find the current development roadmap?
>>
>>http://trac.wordpress.org/roadmap
>
>
> Ouch,  http://wordpress.org/search/roadmap does not find it, even after I
> added  "Roadmap" to http://codex.wordpress.org/Developer_Documentation .
>
> I search on Tester, test, QA, and documentation, and none of the searches
> find anything?!
> http://wordpress.org/search/
>
>

Search on wp.org has been broken since the move to the new server/setup
that roughly coincided with the release of WP2.0.

No idea when it'll be fixed, even though it's a Decidedly Known Issue(TM).

--
----------
Doug Stewart
Systems Administrator/Web Applications Developer
Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Labs
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: roadmap & wp.org search? -was- Re: Wordpress developmentroadmap?

David Chait
In reply to this post by Lloyd Budd-3
Lloyd -

You might want to get on the wp-testers list, as that's likely more
appropriate for some of this discussion (QA topics, testing, etc.).  I'm
sure Matt & others will be glad to have a tester on-board.

As for the question of a roadmap, timeline, etc., god only knows.  2.0 was
the closest to having defined 'goals', but imho development is very 'fluid'.
Certainly a lot is bugfixing or enhancement to existing feature areas.  New
feature areas seem to spring into existance either from particular demand,
or a particular coder wanting to try something out.  Again, imho. ;)

-d

_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: roadmap & wp.org search? -was- Re: Wordpress developmentroadmap?

Lloyd Budd-3
On 3/16/06, David Chait <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Lloyd -
>
> You might want to get on the wp-testers list, as that's likely more
> appropriate for some of this discussion (QA topics, testing, etc.).  I'm
> sure Matt & others will be glad to have a tester on-board.

Hi David, thank you. Yes, I am on the testers list as well, and have posted
my tester questions there, though reading a little in the mailing list
archives. I see a lot of rich discussion about testing and quality on this
list as well ;-)

As for the question of a roadmap, timeline, etc., god only knows.  2.0 was
> the closest to having defined 'goals', but imho development is very
> 'fluid'.
> Certainly a lot is bugfixing or enhancement to existing feature
> areas.  New
> feature areas seem to spring into existance either from particular demand,
> or a particular coder wanting to try something out.  Again, imho. ;)

Fantastic!

For testing to be successful (and also to encourage more participants in
other roles in the community), we need to know where we have been, where we
are, and have estimates on where we are going and when.

--
Peace be in you,
Lloyd D Budd
http://www.foolswisdom.com/~lloyd/
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: roadmap & wp.org search? -was- Re: Wordpress development roadmap?

Lloyd Budd-3
In reply to this post by Douglas Stewart-3
On 3/16/06, Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > I search on Tester, test, QA, and documentation, and none of the
> searches
> > find anything?!
> > http://wordpress.org/search/
>
> Search on wp.org has been broken since the move to the new server/setup
> that roughly coincided with the release of WP2.0.
>
> No idea when it'll be fixed, even though it's a Decidedly Known Issue(TM).
>
>
I checked in Trac before asking. I thought it was just me ;-)  If it is not
filed, it is less likely to be fixed :(

You have been bugged ;-)
wordpress.org/search does not find any results
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2577
--
Peace be in you,
Lloyd D Budd
http://www.foolswisdom.com/~lloyd/ <http://www.foolswisdom.com/%7Elloyd/>
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: roadmap & wp.org search? -was- Re: Wordpress development roadmap?

Matt Mullenweg
In reply to this post by Lloyd Budd-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> What is an estimate when 2.1 will be? example Q4 2006.

Assuming development continues at its current pace, I would imagine we
stop adding big features in early May.

>> What are the goals?

There were a couple of things from 2.0 roadmap that didn't make the cut:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_1.6

Of these I think a few are worth pursuing:

* XML import/export
* Better uploading functionality
* Link manager / Bookmark overhaul
* WYSIWYG enhancements, spell checking and autosave
* Backend design improvements from Shuttle
* Update checking for WP, plugins, and themes
* Better contextual documentation

> Is Severity="enhancement", the correct way for me to identify what are new
> planned features for 2.1 ? Any way for me to identify roughly when they are
> planned to be implemented, what are the highest risk, or most "interesting"
> items?

Last version we took submissions through the Codex, simply because it
was a lower barrier to entry and didn't clutter Trac.

--
Matt Mullenweg
  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers