"This plugin is not properly prepared for localization" - what am I missing

"This plugin is not properly prepared for localization" - what am I missing

David F. Carr-2
The translations page for my plugin RSVPMaker displays the message shown
above

https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/rsvpmaker

That warning links to the instructions for internationalization, which I
have tried to follow. Most of the key output strings are encoded with __()
or _e(). I've created a POT file, and a few translations have been produced
by users of the plugin. I fixed one issue with the header, where the
"domain path" for the translation files wasn't specified, but I'm still
getting the same message.

How do I figure out what I'm missing?

David F. Carr, versatile and inventive writer, editor, and web consultant
Author, Social Collaboration for Dummies
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/111865854X?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393185&creativeASIN=111865854X&linkCode=shr&tag=carrcomminc-20&linkId=EZ7CIRPGUSZ7LXLP&qid=1416786890&sr=8-1&keywords=social+collaboration+for+dummies&utm_content=bufferef24a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
See my work on Forbes <http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidcarr/>, connect
with me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/davidfcarr>, LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidfcarr>, or Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/carrcomm>

Re: "This plugin is not properly prepared for localization" - what am I missing

Braad
There might be other issues as well, but I see you're setting the "Text
Domain" in your plugin header as "rsvptoast", but then you're using
"rsvpmaker" in all your translation functions. According to
https://developer.wordpress.org/plugins/internationalization/how-to-internationalize-your-plugin/
these must match, and your text domain must be set to the slug of your
plugin.

Text Domain: rsvptoast

__('Thank you!','rsvpmaker');

-Braad

On 04/07/2016 07:47 AM, David F. Carr wrote:

> The translations page for my plugin RSVPMaker displays the message shown
> above
>
> https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/rsvpmaker
>
> That warning links to the instructions for internationalization, which I
> have tried to follow. Most of the key output strings are encoded with __()
> or _e(). I've created a POT file, and a few translations have been produced
> by users of the plugin. I fixed one issue with the header, where the
> "domain path" for the translation files wasn't specified, but I'm still
> getting the same message.
>
> How do I figure out what I'm missing?
>
> David F. Carr, versatile and inventive writer, editor, and web consultant
> Author, Social Collaboration for Dummies
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/111865854X?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393185&creativeASIN=111865854X&linkCode=shr&tag=carrcomminc-20&linkId=EZ7CIRPGUSZ7LXLP&qid=1416786890&sr=8-1&keywords=social+collaboration+for+dummies&utm_content=bufferef24a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
> See my work on Forbes <http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidcarr/>, connect
> with me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/davidfcarr>, LinkedIn
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidfcarr>, or Facebook
> <http://www.facebook.com/carrcomm>

Re: "This plugin is not properly prepared for localization" - what am I missing

J.D. Grimes
Yes, this is the error that the import bot is reporting:

https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/meta-language-packs/p1459995808025653

> Code for stable (rsvpmaker/tags/3.7.9/ <https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/rsvpmaker/tags/3.7.9/>) in process...
> This plugin has a wrong text domain declaration in the file header:
>     ./rsvpmaker.php:Text Domain: rsvptoast
> This plugin doesn't use load_plugin_textdomain().
> Code for stable was processed.
> Readme for stable (rsvpmaker/tags/3.7.9/ <https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/rsvpmaker/tags/3.7.9/>) in process...
> The GlotPress projects were updated.
> Result of the POT import: 0 new strings added, 0 updated, 0 fuzzied, and 0 obsoleted.
> Readme for stable  was processed.

You can find the errors for you plugin on that slack channel. I think this has been documented somewhere (a post on the make blog, I think), but maybe it isn't mentioned in the handbook.

-J.D.

> On Apr 7, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Braad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There might be other issues as well, but I see you're setting the "Text Domain" in your plugin header as "rsvptoast", but then you're using "rsvpmaker" in all your translation functions. According to https://developer.wordpress.org/plugins/internationalization/how-to-internationalize-your-plugin/ these must match, and your text domain must be set to the slug of your plugin.
>
> Text Domain: rsvptoast
>
> __('Thank you!','rsvpmaker');
>
> -Braad
>

> On 04/07/2016 07:47 AM, David F. Carr wrote:
>> The translations page for my plugin RSVPMaker displays the message shown
>> above
>>
>> https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/rsvpmaker
>>
>> That warning links to the instructions for internationalization, which I
>> have tried to follow. Most of the key output strings are encoded with __()
>> or _e(). I've created a POT file, and a few translations have been produced
>> by users of the plugin. I fixed one issue with the header, where the
>> "domain path" for the translation files wasn't specified, but I'm still
>> getting the same message.
>>
>> How do I figure out what I'm missing?
>>
>> David F. Carr, versatile and inventive writer, editor, and web consultant
>> Author, Social Collaboration for Dummies
>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/111865854X?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=393185&creativeASIN=111865854X&linkCode=shr&tag=carrcomminc-20&linkId=EZ7CIRPGUSZ7LXLP&qid=1416786890&sr=8-1&keywords=social+collaboration+for+dummies&utm_content=bufferef24a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
>> See my work on Forbes <http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidcarr/>, connect
>> with me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/davidfcarr>, LinkedIn
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidfcarr>, or Facebook
>> <http://www.facebook.com/carrcomm>

Re: "This plugin is not properly prepared for localization" - what am I missing

J.D. Grimes
I found the link to where I first read this:
https://make.wordpress.org/plugins/2015/12/06/plugin-translations-for-all-plugins/

-J.D.