pingomatic problem?

Scott Merrill
A user of my subscribe2 plugin just emailed me, complaining that any
post to his blog _after_ the first post resulted in a long delay.  If
the user logged out after posting his first item, then logged in again,
his next post would proceed as normal with no delay (but posts after
this would be slow -- lather, rinse, repeat).

This user suspected my subscribe2 plugin, but could not articulate why.
 Diagnosis involved trying to load other admin screens after posting
before going back to Write to post a subsequent item.  This did not
work.  Finally, the user shared the following error with me:

Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\[website
name]\wp-includes\class-IXR.php on line 513

I had him remove rpc.pingomatic.com from his update services list, and
successive posts went through lickety split.

Is pingomatic employing some sort of throttle to prevent DOS attacks?
If so, is there a published value for the delay between successive posts
that I might point my user toward?  Or can that value be posted here?
Or, is there something else at work?

Thanks!
Scott

--
[hidden email] | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35

Re: pingomatic problem?

Podz
Scott Merrill wrote:

> Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\[website
> name]\wp-includes\class-IXR.php on line 513

I saw this in an error log a few days ago but had no idea what it did.
A while ago when I clicked Publish I started getting white screens but
the post was being published to the blog. No obvious cause and a forum
search showed this was happening back in 1.2.x
I just removed the pingomatic link and made 3 test posts which went
through much faster than my posts had been doing. I also got no white
screen. Put pingomatic back - 15 seconds to publish + white screen.

I know the structure has been changed about the pinging and someone
might say upgrade but someone posted to the forum who is having the same
problem and using 2.0.1 (
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/59516?replies=3#post-319397 )

So if it is pingomatic that would explain the white screens in every
version and the lack of an obvious cause.

P.

Re: pingomatic problem?

Amit Gupta-3
Podz <[hidden email]> wrote:
|  Scott Merrill wrote:
|  > Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in
C:\Inetpub\[website
|  > name]\wp-includes\class-IXR.php on line 513
|
|  I saw this in an error log a few days ago but had no idea what it
did.
|  A while ago when I clicked Publish I started getting white screens
but
|  the post was being published to the blog. No obvious cause and a
forum
|  search showed this was happening back in 1.2.x
|  I just removed the pingomatic link and made 3 test posts which went
|  through much faster than my posts had been doing. I also got no white
|  screen. Put pingomatic back - 15 seconds to publish + white screen.

I've been getting connection timeouts on one of my blogs, the post is
published though!! and I've been picking the brains of the host thinking
that its something on my server!! :(

gotta try removing pingomatic from the "update services", though its the
only one there!!

but a reply from one of the guys would be quite cool. matt?

Re: pingomatic problem?

Andy Skelton
On 2/3/06, Podz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know the structure has been changed about the pinging and someone
> might say upgrade but someone posted to the forum who is having the same
> problem and using 2.0.1 (
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/59516?replies=3#post-319397 )

The structure that changed was for pingbacks, trackbacks and enclosures.

The kind you're talking about is related to the generic_ping function,
which I swear I never touched :-)

Andy

Re: pingomatic problem?

Constantinos Kouloumbris

On 3 Feb 2006, at 21:43, Amit Gupta wrote:

> I've been getting connection timeouts on one of my blogs, the post is
> published though!! and I've been picking the brains of the host
> thinking
> that its something on my server!! :(
>
> gotta try removing pingomatic from the "update services", though
> its the
> only one there!!

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but it looks like a problem
I am having. When I am Saving a post or posting a comment into the
blog, in firefox it asks me to save  the corresponding .php file. In
Safari i get a white page. On the post part the post has been saved
but on the comment part it wasn't published and sometimes i have to
press publish 3 times or more to get the comment on the post.

I didn't try removing pingomatic but, i will do that. It was also
reported to me by a friend experiencing the same problem commenting
on my blog.

Constantinos

--
GPG: 0x2502604D
http://kouloumbris.com

"A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train
stops. On my desk, I have a workstation…go figure."
~ Steven Wright ~

Re: pingomatic problem?

Jeff Minard
Andy Skelton wrote:
> The kind you're talking about is related to the generic_ping function,
> which I swear I never touched :-)

Just adding to the fray:

That one was causing me tons of trouble too. I was getting post times of
30-90 seconds in order to get through that function -- I disabled it for
what I was doing.

Jeff

Re: pingomatic problem?

Amit Gupta-3
CK <[hidden email]> wrote:
|  I don't know if this is relevant or not, but it looks like a problem
|  I am having. When I am Saving a post or posting a comment into the
|  blog, in firefox it asks me to save  the corresponding .php file. In
|  Safari i get a white page. On the post part the post has been saved
|  but on the comment part it wasn't published and sometimes i have to
|  press publish 3 times or more to get the comment on the post.

looks like a server problem to me, in handling of file types. which
WordPress version are you using? I'm having my problem in WP1.5.2

Re: pingomatic problem?

Constantinos Kouloumbris

On 5 Feb 2006, at 22:06, Amit Gupta wrote:
> looks like a server problem to me, in handling of file types. which
> WordPress version are you using? I'm having my problem in WP1.5.2

I am having this in two separate installations of wp2.0.1

Constantinos