(no subject)

Robert Cummings
Hello everyone! I just registered for the list. Does anyone have any advice for a newcomer in regard to finding ways to contribute to the WordPress project? I thought about contributing to the codex but thought my programming skills might be better utilized elsewhere.
Kindly,
Robert Cummings

Re: (no subject)

Kuba Niewiarowski

> Hello everyone! I just registered for the list. Does anyone have any
> advice for a newcomer in regard to finding ways to contribute to the
> WordPress project? I thought about contributing to the codex but thought my
> programming skills might be better utilized elsewhere.

Hi. I think that this can help you:
http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-and-submitting-a-patch-to-wordpress-core--cms-20658

--
Pozdrawiam, Kuba
Niewiarowski.IT

Re: (no subject)

Eric Andrew Lewis
Do you have any areas of expertise? User interface design? Javascript?
MySQL? Writing documentation? Testing?

On Monday, October 13, 2014, Robert Cummings <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone! I just registered for the list. Does anyone have any
> advice for a newcomer in regard to finding ways to contribute to the
> WordPress project? I thought about contributing to the codex but thought my
> programming skills might be better utilized elsewhere.
> Kindly,
> Robert Cummings

Eric Andrew Lewis
ericandrewlewis.com
610.715.8560

Re: (no subject)

Robert Cummings
Thank you, Kuba. That was a helpful read.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 02:45:16 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] (no subject)

> > Hello everyone! I just registered for the list. Does anyone have any
> > advice for a newcomer in regard to finding ways to contribute to the
> > WordPress project? I thought about contributing to the codex but thought my
> > programming skills might be better utilized elsewhere.
>

> Hi. I think that this can help you:
> http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-and-submitting-a-patch-to-wordpress-core--cms-20658
>

> --
> Pozdrawiam, Kuba
> Niewiarowski.IT

Re: (no subject)

Robert Cummings
Hello Eric, thanks for the response!
My expertise includes UI/UX design and programming but not so much Javascript. I would still consider myself a novice with JS and jQuery. I would probably be useful writing documentation or testing but even still, I wouldn't know where to begin without some guidance. Any further input would be much appreciated.
Kindly,
Robert Cummings

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:07:10 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] (no subject)
>
> Do you have any areas of expertise? User interface design? Javascript?
> MySQL? Writing documentation? Testing?
>
> On Monday, October 13, 2014, Robert Cummings <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone! I just registered for the list. Does anyone have any
> > advice for a newcomer in regard to finding ways to contribute to the
> > WordPress project? I thought about contributing to the codex but thought my
> > programming skills might be better utilized elsewhere.
> > Kindly,
> > Robert Cummings

> Eric Andrew Lewis
> ericandrewlewis.com
> 610.715.8560

Re: (no subject)

Eric Andrew Lewis
Cool! So.

If you’re interested in UI/UX design, you can take a look at what the UI group has been working on (http://make.wordpress.org/ui/), which has been mainly the Image Flow feature plugin. Of course, that’s not the only place UI/UX design is discussed. You can check out tickets in Trac that have a UI focus (https://core.trac.wordpress.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&status=reviewing&focuses=~ui&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority).

There’s also the core development team “Make” blog (https://make.wordpress.org/core/).

I would suggest participating in a dev chat (https://make.wordpress.org/core/weekly-developer-chats/), and you might hear about a project that piques your interest to help with.

--
Eric Andrew Lewis

On Monday, October 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:

> Hello Eric, thanks for the response!
> My expertise includes UI/UX design and programming but not so much Javascript. I would still consider myself a novice with JS and jQuery. I would probably be useful writing documentation or testing but even still, I wouldn't know where to begin without some guidance. Any further input would be much appreciated.
> Kindly,
> Robert Cummings
> > Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:07:10 -0400
> > From: [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])
> > To: [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])
> > Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] (no subject)
> >
> > Do you have any areas of expertise? User interface design? Javascript?
> > MySQL? Writing documentation? Testing?
> >
> > On Monday, October 13, 2014, Robert Cummings <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everyone! I just registered for the list. Does anyone have any
> > > advice for a newcomer in regard to finding ways to contribute to the
> > > WordPress project? I thought about contributing to the codex but thought my
> > > programming skills might be better utilized elsewhere.
> > > Kindly,
> > > Robert Cummings
> > >

> > --
> > Eric Andrew Lewis
> > ericandrewlewis.com (http://ericandrewlewis.com)
> > 610.715.8560

Re: (no subject)

Pascal Birchler
There's a reason for having contributor handbooks.

If you want to get involved, I recommend you to check out the handbooks
here:
https://make.wordpress.org/docs/handbook/developer-resources/handbooks/