from time to time, publish/update becomes disabled.

from time to time, publish/update becomes disabled.

Haluk Karamete
Anybody know what triggers the "disabled" attribute to be enforced to make
the dashboard's PUBLISH / UPDATE button?

This is happening on 3.7 with chrome & firebox when working on my
localhost.

for a weird reason, I keep getting that button getting disabled which is
about %20 to %30 of  the time.

Every time, that happens, I go to the chrome developer tools by right
clicking on the blue publish(or update) button whichever the case may be,
and selecting the "inspect element" option and then locate & physically
remove the 'disabled' attribute by editing the generated HTML. Only and
only then, the button becomes clickable.

The generated code by WordPress is normally this;

<input name="save" type="submit" class="button button-primary button-large"
id="publish" accesskey="p" value="Update">

but from time to time, it becomes

<input name="save" type="submit" class="button button-primary button-large"
id="publish" accesskey="p" value="Update" disabled="">

which is usually after 1 min or so.

I cannot find any trace of any warning/notice/error under the developer
console when this happens.

does anyone know what condition inserts the 'disabled' in there?

Re: from time to time, publish/update becomes disabled.

Daniel Fenn
Does it auto save the post or not? That the only thing that I can think of

On 11/4/13, Haluk Karamete <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody know what triggers the "disabled" attribute to be enforced to make
> the dashboard's PUBLISH / UPDATE button?
>
> This is happening on 3.7 with chrome & firebox when working on my
> localhost.
>

> for a weird reason, I keep getting that button getting disabled which is
> about %20 to %30 of  the time.
>
> Every time, that happens, I go to the chrome developer tools by right
> clicking on the blue publish(or update) button whichever the case may be,
> and selecting the "inspect element" option and then locate & physically
> remove the 'disabled' attribute by editing the generated HTML. Only and
> only then, the button becomes clickable.
>
> The generated code by WordPress is normally this;
>
> <input name="save" type="submit" class="button button-primary button-large"
> id="publish" accesskey="p" value="Update">
>
> but from time to time, it becomes
>
> <input name="save" type="submit" class="button button-primary button-large"
> id="publish" accesskey="p" value="Update" disabled="">
>
> which is usually after 1 min or so.
>
> I cannot find any trace of any warning/notice/error under the developer
> console when this happens.
>
> does anyone know what condition inserts the 'disabled' in there?

Daniel Fenn

Re: from time to time, publish/update becomes disabled.

Thomas Belknap
When WordPress autosaves revisions, for the split second it takes to update
the information, the publish button becomes "greyed out." But this
shouldn't happen over extended periods of time. If it does, I'd want to
start looking into plugins that filter on save.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does it auto save the post or not? That the only thing that I can think of
>
> On 11/4/13, Haluk Karamete <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Anybody know what triggers the "disabled" attribute to be enforced to
> make
> > the dashboard's PUBLISH / UPDATE button?
> >
> > This is happening on 3.7 with chrome & firebox when working on my
> > localhost.
> >

> > for a weird reason, I keep getting that button getting disabled which is
> > about %20 to %30 of  the time.
> >
> > Every time, that happens, I go to the chrome developer tools by right
> > clicking on the blue publish(or update) button whichever the case may be,
> > and selecting the "inspect element" option and then locate & physically
> > remove the 'disabled' attribute by editing the generated HTML. Only and
> > only then, the button becomes clickable.
> >
> > The generated code by WordPress is normally this;
> >
> > <input name="save" type="submit" class="button button-primary
> button-large"
> > id="publish" accesskey="p" value="Update">
> >
> > but from time to time, it becomes
> >
> > <input name="save" type="submit" class="button button-primary
> button-large"
> > id="publish" accesskey="p" value="Update" disabled="">
> >
> > which is usually after 1 min or so.
> >
> > I cannot find any trace of any warning/notice/error under the developer
> > console when this happens.
> >
> > does anyone know what condition inserts the 'disabled' in there?

> Regards,
> Daniel Fenn

Tom Belknap
Owner/Editor, DragonFlyEye.Net
Join me:

   - *Inbox:* http://dragonflyeye.net/subscribe
   - *Web*: http://dragonflyeye.net/
   - *Facebook*: https://www.facebook.com/DragonFlyEye.Net
   - *Twitter*: https://twitter.com/dragonflyeye
   - *Google*: https://plus.google.com/u/1/103251482414903117843/posts

Re: from time to time, publish/update becomes disabled.

Haluk Karamete

> Does it auto save the post or not? That the only thing that I can think of

It does auto save Daniel. In fact, before I figured out the
inspect-element-and-then-remove-the-disabled-attr trick, I used the use the
autosaved revisions to recover my keystrokes.
But your comment did stimulate my brain. After your comment, I did realize
that this might have to do with the autosave process.

So this time, I waited for the sucker to go disabled on me again,... while
keeping my eyes on that status line,...  I had to answer my kids again who
thought their dad went weirdo again with that laser focus look at the
screen for a while :) But the wait paid off; I observed that the blue
button goes disabled the moment it auto saves its first revision!

And at that time, the status line gets stuck at "Saving Draft… Last edited
by adminx on November 4, 2013 at 2:29 am"

for the time being, I am gonna extend the autosave frequency to a more
bearable level,
Later, when/if I find out what is it that  causes that behavior, I'll share
with you.

thx