choosing plural vs singular words in taxonony names in URIs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

choosing plural vs singular words in taxonony names in URIs

Haluk Karamete
I know this is very subjective, but the more I pick the highly up-scale
brains like the great minds of this list, the better it is. so excuse me if
you find this question a little odd.

here is the situation

say, you got a taxonomy called "Channels" and you got terms under it such
as "Debates", "Interviews", "PodCasts" etc...

should the url's for these terms read as

your-site.com/channels/debates

or

your-site.com/channel/debates

If this was a straight english grammar, we'd be saying "Debates Channel".
No dispute on that...

But here in a url structure, can't start with the term first.

So I'm wondering which of the above structures, in the
broken-english-structure-of URLs be better?  channels/debates or
channel/debates

Or is this something like case by case? What's the handle or guide in
deciding on these things?

I hope you don't find this question odd and shoot me down. :)

Please note the only difference between the two is on the taxonomy name,
NOT on the term. For some reason, it seems to be pretty clear that the term
( the "debates" part ) needs to be plural. But, please feel free to
challenge me even on that. I'd only appreciate it.

Thank you
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: choosing plural vs singular words in taxonony names in URIs

Haluk Karamete
my feedback on my own question is that I'd pick channels/debates over
channel/debates, because of the following reason;

first off, they both are pretty close...  if you pick one over the other,
regardless of the pick, no body is gonna come after you and put you on the
spot as if you have done something drastically wrong..

given that....

the former ( channels/debates ) suggests that I've got MANY channels on my
site.. So, my visitors are indirectly inspired & suggested, that he can go
ahead and check out what other channels we got in the site...  a wordpress
page slugged as your-site.com/channels may have an alphabetical listing of
all those channels.. to explore..

whereas the latter ( channel/debates ) ( though it is closer to the
day-t-day english we use ) would not make that sort of a suggestion to the
user that yoo got many channels...

that's the only reason I'd pick the former...  unless you bring a different
perspective that I am failing to see...




On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Haluk Karamete <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I know this is very subjective, but the more I pick the highly up-scale
> brains like the great minds of this list, the better it is. so excuse me if
> you find this question a little odd.
>
> here is the situation
>
> say, you got a taxonomy called "Channels" and you got terms under it such
> as "Debates", "Interviews", "PodCasts" etc...
>
> should the url's for these terms read as
>
> your-site.com/channels/debates
>
> or
>
> your-site.com/channel/debates
>
> If this was a straight english grammar, we'd be saying "Debates Channel".
> No dispute on that...
>
> But here in a url structure, can't start with the term first.
>
> So I'm wondering which of the above structures, in the
> broken-english-structure-of URLs be better?  channels/debates or
> channel/debates
>
> Or is this something like case by case? What's the handle or guide in
> deciding on these things?
>
> I hope you don't find this question odd and shoot me down. :)
>
> Please note the only difference between the two is on the taxonomy name,
> NOT on the term. For some reason, it seems to be pretty clear that the term
> ( the "debates" part ) needs to be plural. But, please feel free to
> challenge me even on that. I'd only appreciate it.
>
> Thank you
>
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: choosing plural vs singular words in taxonony names in URIs

David Ernst-2
Both are probably safe.

Thinking of these as subfolders -- i.e. a traditional non-routed webserver
--  the plural feels more natural to me. If I'm in the index /, I would
expect to see folders with names like "Channels", "Debates", etc., not the
singular.

Re your point that the plural invites visitors to check that out directly
for an index: Isn't that exactly right? If they do go straight to the
taxonomy, they *should* see an index. Maybe you don't have a highly
populated one now, but you could in the future!

And some counter references:
  * http://theme.wordpress.com/themes/p2/
  * https://www.youtube.com/user/Google
  * https://twitter.com/hashtag/WordPress
  * http://www.reddit.com/user/PresidentObama


On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Haluk Karamete <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> my feedback on my own question is that I'd pick channels/debates over
> channel/debates, because of the following reason;
>
> first off, they both are pretty close...  if you pick one over the other,
> regardless of the pick, no body is gonna come after you and put you on the
> spot as if you have done something drastically wrong..
>
> given that....
>
> the former ( channels/debates ) suggests that I've got MANY channels on my
> site.. So, my visitors are indirectly inspired & suggested, that he can go
> ahead and check out what other channels we got in the site...  a wordpress
> page slugged as your-site.com/channels may have an alphabetical listing of
> all those channels.. to explore..
>
> whereas the latter ( channel/debates ) ( though it is closer to the
> day-t-day english we use ) would not make that sort of a suggestion to the
> user that yoo got many channels...
>
> that's the only reason I'd pick the former...  unless you bring a different
> perspective that I am failing to see...
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 6:42 AM, Haluk Karamete <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I know this is very subjective, but the more I pick the highly up-scale
> > brains like the great minds of this list, the better it is. so excuse me
> if
> > you find this question a little odd.
> >
> > here is the situation
> >
> > say, you got a taxonomy called "Channels" and you got terms under it such
> > as "Debates", "Interviews", "PodCasts" etc...
> >
> > should the url's for these terms read as
> >
> > your-site.com/channels/debates
> >
> > or
> >
> > your-site.com/channel/debates
> >
> > If this was a straight english grammar, we'd be saying "Debates Channel".
> > No dispute on that...
> >
> > But here in a url structure, can't start with the term first.
> >
> > So I'm wondering which of the above structures, in the
> > broken-english-structure-of URLs be better?  channels/debates or
> > channel/debates
> >
> > Or is this something like case by case? What's the handle or guide in
> > deciding on these things?
> >
> > I hope you don't find this question odd and shoot me down. :)
> >
> > Please note the only difference between the two is on the taxonomy name,
> > NOT on the term. For some reason, it seems to be pretty clear that the
> term
> > ( the "debates" part ) needs to be plural. But, please feel free to
> > challenge me even on that. I'd only appreciate it.
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> _______________________________________________
> wp-hackers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
>
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers