/author/ is still broken.

David House
We _really_ need to get the WordPress responsibilites framework going,
so we can get proper QA. Another really basic bug slipped into 2.0.1
which is just totally dumbass and really should not have happened.

/author/someone is broken. It 404s. I'm looking into it, any insight
would be great.

--
-David House, [hidden email], http://xmouse.ithium.net

Re: /author/ is still broken.

Ryan Boren
David House wrote:
> We _really_ need to get the WordPress responsibilites framework going,
> so we can get proper QA. Another really basic bug slipped into 2.0.1
> which is just totally dumbass and really should not have happened.
>
> /author/someone is broken. It 404s. I'm looking into it, any insight
> would be great.

Works for me.

Ryan

Re: /author/ is still broken.

Peter Westwood

Re: /author/ is still broken.

David House
On 01/02/06, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Works for me.

If you've been creating users with Firefox this could cause the
problem. Because user_login is a disabled field on user-edit.php,
Firefox choses not to send the value of the field when you hit submit.
This means that user_nicename doesn't get properly filled from the
login; each user's user_nicename is something like '10' or '4', so the
correct URL for them ends up being something like /author/10, not what
you expect.

I've written a patch which just displays the user login as text on
user-edit.php (this makes more sense as you can't edit it anyway), and
puts the user login in a hidden field. This should fix it when
creating new users. For now the easiest way to fix this bug is to go
through the database and set the user_nicenames to something more
sane.

Patch attached as above.

--
-David House, [hidden email], http://xmouse.ithium.net

user-edit-fix.txt (634 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: /author/ is still broken.

Peter Westwood

Re: /author/ is still broken.

Jamie Talbot

Re: /author/ is still broken.

Dan Li-5
> Looking at the query for my admin user that didn't work the . in the
> username is being stripped out so:
>
> http://trunk.wp.sandbox.ftwr.co.uk/author/peter.westwood/
>
> Causes the following query:
>
> SELECT ID FROM trunk_users WHERE user_nicename='peterwestwood';
>
> Maybe we need to ban the . or fix the code stripping it?
>
> westi
> - --
> Peter Westwood
> http://blog.ftwr.co.uk

Does the user nickname go through sanitize_title? If it does, then it
suffers from http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1972

Regards,
  - Dan Li