atom:link to self in RSS feeds

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

atom:link to self in RSS feeds

Danny Ayers
A note for later really.

Discussion of "feed:" came up over on the Apple Syndication list [1] (carnage!)

Anyhow the problem most browsers have in not being able to hand the
URI of the feed over to a helper app was mentioned. E.g. you click on
a PDF link, Acrobat gets the data content but no reference to where it
came from.

Tim Bray pointed to Atom's construct which fills this hole:

<link rel="self" href="feed URI" />

But he mentioned something else I'd not heard before - using it in RSS
2.0 feeds. Suitably namespace-qualified, it's entirely valid, and it
might well prove useful - for example if Safari adds support.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://lists.apple.com/archives/syndication-dev/2006/Jan/index.html

--

http://dannyayers.com
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: atom:link to self in RSS feeds

Matt Mullenweg
Danny Ayers wrote:
> But he mentioned something else I'd not heard before - using it in RSS
> 2.0 feeds. Suitably namespace-qualified, it's entirely valid, and it
> might well prove useful - for example if Safari adds support.

Could you make a patch for this on Trac for inclusion in 2.1? I like
this idea. If there are any other areas where RSS 2.0 is unusably vague
or has a hole like this, including an atom element in addition might
help smart aggregators. (And would be ignored by others, so doesn't hurt
anything.)

--
Matt Mullenweg
  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: atom:link to self in RSS feeds

Danny Ayers
On 1/31/06, Matt Mullenweg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Danny Ayers wrote:
> > But he mentioned something else I'd not heard before - using it in RSS
> > 2.0 feeds. Suitably namespace-qualified, it's entirely valid, and it
> > might well prove useful - for example if Safari adds support.
>
> Could you make a patch for this on Trac for inclusion in 2.1?

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

I like
> this idea. If there are any other areas where RSS 2.0 is unusably vague
> or has a hole like this, including an atom element in addition might
> help smart aggregators. (And would be ignored by others, so doesn't hurt
> anything.)

I'll have a scout around.

Cheers,
Danny.



--

http://dannyayers.com
_______________________________________________
wp-hackers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-hackers
Loading...