XML import/export in [3769]

Matt Mullenweg
I finally wrote this long-awaited feature while on the plane from Dublin
to Atlanta. It's in "works for me" stage, but I think it could use a ton
of testing and ideas.

The goals? An easy way to move pages, posts, comments, and postmeta
between WordPress blogs without doing a lossy export to the MT format
and back.

It uses RSS2 + a made up wp: namespace. I basically just mapped fields
in our DB to XML.

Import has been moved under "manage" since it's really not a top-level
priority, and there is now an "export" submenu which downloads the XML
export of your blog. WordPress is now an option under importing.

I'd love for people to bang on this, try to break it, see how big a blog
they can test it on, and generally kick the tires.

Still deciding on the name...

--
Matt Mullenweg
  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org

Re: XML import/export in [3769]

Douglas Stewart-3

Re: XML import/export in [3769]

David House
On 10/05/06, Matt Mullenweg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The goals? An easy way to move pages, posts, comments, and postmeta
> between WordPress blogs without doing a lossy export to the MT format
> and back.

Long-awaited. Long-needed. Great job :)

> It uses RSS2 + a made up wp: namespace. I basically just mapped fields
> in our DB to XML.

Can we get http://automattic.com/there.is.only.wp as the namespace
identifier à la XUL? :)

> Import has been moved under "manage" since it's really not a top-level
> priority, and there is now an "export" submenu which downloads the XML
> export of your blog. WordPress is now an option under importing.

Both good moves.

--
-David House, [hidden email]