WordPress Importer

Aaron Brazell
Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about writing a WordPress import script – useful for combining existing WordPress blogs perhaps from different versions?

Re: WordPress Importer

MWinther

I was thinking the exact same thing... Preferrably with posts functionality, so that I can come up with a new post on my development blog, which won't exist on my regular blog until I'm finished, and decide to import it!

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:52:15 -0500, "Aaron Brazell" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about writing a WordPress import
> script – useful for combining existing WordPress blogs perhaps from
> different versions?

Re: WordPress Importer (Cross-Post)

Douglas Daulton
Along the same lines, it would be cool if there were a "cross-post" function
which would allow you to set up one or more additional blogs in the Admin
section.  Then, each of these blogs would appear in a drop down on the post
page.  Select the other blogs you want to send that post to as well and it
auto-posts them.

Doug

On 2/4/06 10:31 AM, "Mattias Winther" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was thinking the exact same thing... Preferrably with posts functionality,
> so that I can come up with a new post on my development blog, which won't
> exist on my regular blog until I'm finished, and decide to import it!
>
> On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:52:15 -0500, "Aaron Brazell" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about writing a WordPress import
>> script – useful for combining existing WordPress blogs perhaps from
>> different versions?

Re: WordPress Importer (Cross-Post)

Jason Salaz
Douglas Daulton wrote:
> Along the same lines, it would be cool if there were a "cross-post" function
> which would allow you to set up one or more additional blogs in the Admin
> section.  Then, each of these blogs would appear in a drop down on the post
> page.  Select the other blogs you want to send that post to as well and it
> auto-posts them.

There's next to no reason for this in wordpress (core) itself.
I wouldn't want this feature to be available to me.

This should only exist as a plugin, at least for WP core.  Something
like this is perfectly suited for WPMU however.

One side question, however.
Is there a plugin hook to add a expand/collapse drop box anywhere on the
 write post/page screen?

If not, I officially hijack the thread and request those hooks to be
added :).

Re: WordPress Importer (Cross-Post)

Jamie Talbot

RE: WordPress Importer (Cross-Post)

Aaron Brazell

> As a side-issue, I want to place a checkbox next to the Delete Button on
> the edit page.  I added it
> in edit_form_advanced with javascript to append it in the right place, but
> IE dies with a fatal
> error every time.  Apparently, it doesn't like the DOM being altered
> before the page is fully
> loaded, which I think is because the preview pane is still loading at that
> time.  Anybody think of a
>  way to do this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jamie.
>
> PS: Don't mention hijack, or you'll go on "The List"!

Hijacked Twice.

Re: WordPress Importer (Cross-Post)

Austin Matzko
On 2/5/06, Jamie Talbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As a side-issue, I want to place a checkbox next to the Delete Button on the edit page.  I added it in edit_form_advanced with javascript to append it in the right place, but IE dies with a fatal error every time.  Apparently, it doesn't like the DOM being altered before the page is fully
loaded, which I think is because the preview pane is still loading at
that time.  Anybody think of a way to do this?

How about using the addEvent event listener function ( seen here:
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/structural-markup-javascript ) to add
your JavaScript only when the page has finished loading?

Re: WordPress Importer (Cross-Post)

Jamie Talbot

Re: WordPress Importer (Cross-Post)

Unteins (Jason Goldsmith)

>>> Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about writing a
>>> WordPress import
>>> script ˆ useful for combining existing WordPress blogs perhaps from
>>> different versions?

I don't even care if it is from different versions, I'd just be happy
with the ability to import my two dead blogs into my current undead
(semi-alive?) blog and move forward. Trying to do a manual combine
stinks, especially since certain categories exist across blogs.

Oh, and I don't know if it is possible in 2.01, but I do find it
annoying in 1.5.x that category names are globally unique. I do
understand some of the reason for it, but I would really like the
ability to create something like:

Work
        Code
        Design