WP as CMS examples

Matt Mullenweg
What are your favorite examples of WordPress being used for something
other than a blog, primarily? Feel free to toot your own horn.

--
Matt Mullenweg
  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org

Re: WP as CMS examples

Roy Schestowitz-2
_____/ On Wed 08 Feb 2006 04:40:17 GMT, [Matt Mullenweg] wrote : \_____

> What are your favorite examples of WordPress being used for something
> other than a blog, primarily? Feel free to toot your own horn.

Apart from heavily-hacked WordPress like < http://www.kingdesign.net/ >,
WordPress can be officially used to reflect on project development and
downloads of nightlies < http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/ >. Mozilla
Firefox has used WordPress for at least 6 months.

I choose mention this particular aspect because it involves 'out of the box'
WordPress. It illustrates the point that WordPress can serve a non-blogger
without programming inclinations.

With kind regards,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Re: WP as CMS examples

Matt Mullenweg
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Apart from heavily-hacked WordPress like < http://www.kingdesign.net/ >,
> WordPress can be officially used to reflect on project development and
> downloads of nightlies < http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/ >. Mozilla
> Firefox has used WordPress for at least 6 months.

Alex's site is great, thanks for pointing that out.

--
Matt Mullenweg
  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com

Re: WP as CMS examples

Alex King-3
Thanks guys. I wanted to point out that the FeedLounge web site runs
nearly exclusively on WP (with PunBB for the forums and a custom
script for feature voting), and isn't nearly as "hacked" as my King
Design site is. I think the only thing I've really customized
(besides the theme and a couple of plugins) is not allowing WP to
update the mod_rewrite rules and handling those by hand.

It would be hard to convince me *not* to build a site on WP these
days. :)

Cheers,
--Alex King

Personal             Business               FeedLounge
http://alexking.org  http://kingdesign.net  http://feedlounge.com

On Feb 8, 2006, at 12:49 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Apart from heavily-hacked WordPress like < http://
>> www.kingdesign.net/ >,
>
> Alex's site is great, thanks for pointing that out.

Re: WP as CMS examples

Mani Monajjemi
well , here is an example in other language : www.sayeban.org , it's in
persian , but it uses WP as a CMS.

On 2/8/06, Alex King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks guys. I wanted to point out that the FeedLounge web site runs
> nearly exclusively on WP (with PunBB for the forums and a custom
> script for feature voting), and isn't nearly as "hacked" as my King
> Design site is. I think the only thing I've really customized
> (besides the theme and a couple of plugins) is not allowing WP to
> update the mod_rewrite rules and handling those by hand.
>
> It would be hard to convince me *not* to build a site on WP these
> days. :)
>
> Cheers,
> --Alex King
>
> Personal             Business               FeedLounge
> http://alexking.org  http://kingdesign.net  http://feedlounge.com
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 12:49 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> Apart from heavily-hacked WordPress like < http://
> >> www.kingdesign.net/ >,
> >
> > Alex's site is great, thanks for pointing that out.

Mani Monajjemi
www.manionline.org

Re: WP as CMS examples

Thomas Silkjær
I use it for www.theundersigned.net and www.theundersigned.net/book

/Thomas

Den 08/02/2006 kl. 9.40 skrev Mani Monajjemi:

> well , here is an example in other language : www.sayeban.org ,
> it's in
> persian , but it uses WP as a CMS.
>
> On 2/8/06, Alex King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks guys. I wanted to point out that the FeedLounge web site runs
>> nearly exclusively on WP (with PunBB for the forums and a custom
>> script for feature voting), and isn't nearly as "hacked" as my King
>> Design site is. I think the only thing I've really customized
>> (besides the theme and a couple of plugins) is not allowing WP to
>> update the mod_rewrite rules and handling those by hand.
>>
>> It would be hard to convince me *not* to build a site on WP these
>> days. :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --Alex King
>>
>> Personal             Business               FeedLounge
>> http://alexking.org  http://kingdesign.net  http://feedlounge.com

>>> Alex's site is great, thanks for pointing that out.

> Mani Monajjemi
> www.manionline.org

Re: WP as CMS examples

Craig-16
Personally I'm very interested in using a CMS-like version of WP to manage
some local sports leagues. The minor baseball, soccer and hockey
organizations would all benefit from this immensely.

Craig.

Re: WP as CMS examples

Peter Westwood

On Wed, February 8, 2006 4:40 am, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> What are your favorite examples of WordPress being used for something
> other than a blog, primarily? Feel free to toot your own horn.

I am currently using it for http://www.costaricabikeride.org and working
on replacing the outdated design at http://www.pompe.org.uk with a
WordPress powered site

westi
--
Peter Westwood
Blog: http://blog.ftwr.co.uk

Re: WP as CMS examples

Mark Harwood-2
Well ive got quite a list of sites based apon wordpress, used it for our
extranet, for a online store for reseller of our stairlifts. But these
are not open to public viewing.

heres a few URL's

www.jamesjakes.com
www.teamaka.co.uk
www.eurocss.net

WP is now the base of all my sites.

Re: WP as CMS examples

Roy Schestowitz-2
_____/ On Wed 08 Feb 2006 08:46:18 GMT, [Craig] wrote : \_____

> Personally I'm very interested in using a CMS-like version of WP to manage
> some local sports leagues. The minor baseball, soccer and hockey
> organizations would all benefit from this immensely.

Have a look at DragonFly CMS. It is quite a decent 'off-the-shelf' package
which can handle many different aspects that commercial content management
systems address. It is actually a PHP CPGNuke derivative.

It integrates the WordPress, the Coppermine Photo Gallery, and phpBB. It's a
little hard to administer, but should be rather stable and reliable. Your
mileage may vary nonetheless.

With kind regards,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Re: WP as CMS examples

Craig-16
Roy,
Thank you for the information.
Craig.

RE: WP as CMS examples

Vogel, Andrew (vogelap)
Oh yeah... I use WP on www.drewvogel.com, which is a CMS.

-andrew vogel
Manager of Professional Programs
University of Cincinnati
College of Pharmacy

Re: WP as CMS examples

Jefte Puente
http://blogsoftheday.com/ provides some non-WordPress functionality.

I have to echo some sentiments heard earlier. I too am a WordPress addict
and find myself not wanting to deploy a website unless its WP-powered.

Jefte Puente
http://jefte.net

RE: WP as CMS examples

Phil Hart-2
My cheap implementation of WordPress as a CMS is at http://www.whootah.com
<http://www.whootah.com/>

Re: WP as CMS examples

Paul Menard-2
I work for Mindshare Interactive Campaigns. We build web sites mostly
for non-profit and activist groups. We've been offering a hacked
version of MT as a back-end CMS solution that will allow the client
to maintain the content. Since Thanksgiving 2005 I've been working to
get WP used as out default CMS offering. Note I use CMS very liberally.

Two site I've developed are:

http://www.equalityforall.com/
http://www.cgcareers.org

And even our company's site: http://www.mindshare.net is now using
WP. Note the previous Mindshare website was written and maintained in
a hybrid of MT and some other custom applications. Now the internal
group that maintains the copy can edit nearly 99% of the information
on the site.

True all of these have a News feed and/or Blog but they are not the
primary vehicle used to drive the content.

The one big plus is we can develop a new site for a client in just a
few hours time using WP and a new theme.

See you all at SXSW 2006 here in Austin.

Paul

On Feb 7, 2006, at 10:40 PM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> What are your favorite examples of WordPress being used for
> something other than a blog, primarily? Feel free to toot your own
> horn.
>
> --
> Matt Mullenweg
>  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com

Re: WP as CMS examples

Stephen Yeargin
http://sigep.utm.edu/ -- Fraternity Web site.
http://www.tfcd.org/ -- Political Web site.
http://www.utm.edu/organizations/utmdems/ (Using an old blogger
template for now)

I've got a few others that I'm converting over to WordPress from
static files. As a side topic, has anyone ever tried to use it for a
non-fsily newspaper Web site? The framework is great, but I run into
trouble when trying to group certain articles together by a particular
issue date.

--
Stephen Yeargin ([hidden email])

Re: WP as CMS examples

Jeff Minard
Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> What are your favorite examples of WordPress being used for something
> other than a blog, primarily? Feel free to toot your own horn.

http://tlfutures.org/
- Used, not only for CMS, but as a calendar hack up as well.

http://eastwestbest.net/
- WP for product management, pages for a few stats elements.

Fun projects both :D

Jeff Minard

Re: WP as CMS examples

JARRET NETSPC
Why would you not want WP updating the mod_rewrite rules?

cheerio

Jarret

On Feb 8, 2006, at 1:57 PM, JARRET NETSPC wrote:
> Why would you not want WP updating the mod_rewrite rules?

Because the automatically written rules were breaking - they weren't
really intended to handle my link structure:

/pagename - page
/pagename/pagename - page
/blog/ - blog
/blog/YYYY/MM/DD/postname - blog post
/blog/categoryname - blog category

A /pagename and a /blog/categoryname of the same name (for example: /
features and /blog/features) would cause conflicts (and there were
some other related issues I don't recall anymore).

Manually handling the rewrite rules solves this nicely.

Cheers,
--Alex