WP Backend "All Pages" Times Out From 6000+ Pages?

WP Backend "All Pages" Times Out From 6000+ Pages?

Greg Gibson
Hi,

Does anyone know if our problem below is due to Wordpress core?

We have 6000+ pages. No problems on the frontend. And no

problems on the backend, except "All Pages." When we try to access

All Pages (leading to our 6000 pages) it often times out after several

minutes.

Godaddy and Cloudflare said it wasn't their problem. Cloudflare

showed errors 504 and 520 which they explained.

"This indicates a timeout after establishing a TCP connection and waiting
for a response from your origin. If your origin does not return any data
after about a minute or so, we will close the connection and serve an error.
This can happen if your server is simply taking too long because it has too
much work to do - e.g. a large data query, or because the server is
struggling for resources and cannot return any data in time. You should
check your server health metrics such as available CPU & RAM and if you're
using a Database server that should be checked too for long running queries,
for example. An Error 520 happens when your origin returns a response that
is unexpected. Your web server or networking equipment (Firewall, Load
Balancer) reset the TCP connection after it was established. Sometimes when
a web server crashes it will reset the connection. Check your web server
error log for the timescale that the error occurred in and look for any
error messages.504 errors are normally caused by a 504 being presented on
the origin server itself, we however send a branded CloudFlare page in order
to hide any information that may be given away from the error page to
attackers"

Since then, I've paused Cloudflare. So I assume the problem has to

be Godaddy or Wordpress? Do you know if this is a Wordpress core

problem? If so, will Object Cache plugin(s) solve it? Which one(s)?

Thank you,

Greg Gibson

www.ComparingVitamins.com

Re: WP Backend "All Pages" Times Out From 6000+ Pages?

John Blackbourn
6,000 pages is going to cause you problems in the admin area in
WordPress prior to the upcoming version 4.2, due to the way the page
tree is constructed.

In WordPress 4.2 the algorithm used on the Pages screen has been
greatly improved (ref: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15459),
so it operates in less time and uses much less memory. You can try a
beta from here if you like:
https://wordpress.org/news/2015/04/wordpress-4-2-beta-4/, or wait a
week or so for the actual release.

John

On 15 April 2015 at 02:16, Greg Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Does anyone know if our problem below is due to Wordpress core?
>

> We have 6000+ pages. No problems on the frontend. And no
>
> problems on the backend, except "All Pages." When we try to access
>
> All Pages (leading to our 6000 pages) it often times out after several
>
> minutes.
>

> Godaddy and Cloudflare said it wasn't their problem. Cloudflare
>
> showed errors 504 and 520 which they explained.
>
> "This indicates a timeout after establishing a TCP connection and waiting
> for a response from your origin. If your origin does not return any data
> after about a minute or so, we will close the connection and serve an error.
> This can happen if your server is simply taking too long because it has too
> much work to do - e.g. a large data query, or because the server is
> struggling for resources and cannot return any data in time. You should
> check your server health metrics such as available CPU & RAM and if you're
> using a Database server that should be checked too for long running queries,
> for example. An Error 520 happens when your origin returns a response that
> is unexpected. Your web server or networking equipment (Firewall, Load
> Balancer) reset the TCP connection after it was established. Sometimes when
> a web server crashes it will reset the connection. Check your web server
> error log for the timescale that the error occurred in and look for any
> error messages.504 errors are normally caused by a 504 being presented on
> the origin server itself, we however send a branded CloudFlare page in order
> to hide any information that may be given away from the error page to
> attackers"
>
> Since then, I've paused Cloudflare. So I assume the problem has to
>
> be Godaddy or Wordpress? Do you know if this is a Wordpress core
>
> problem? If so, will Object Cache plugin(s) solve it? Which one(s)?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Greg Gibson
>
> www.ComparingVitamins.com

Re: WP Backend "All Pages" Times Out From 6000+ Pages?

Scott Herbert (via Phone)
I'd say it was unlikely. We have north of 50,000 pages on our intranet and the backend runs fine. We did have an issues with speed for editors (as opposed to admins) but that was a plugin issue.

i'd suggest that's where you start if you have a stage site start deactivating plugins and see if on of them is the issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Re: WP Backend "All Pages" Times Out From 6000+ Pages?

Jeffrey Nolte
Move off of Godaddy and those problems will very likely clear up. It seems you are running a significant site, imho shared hosting is never an option if you are looking for any real performance / reliability.

As a fail safe you should also install some debugging tools and check if any of your theme queries are taking an extreme amount of time.

Jeffrey Nolte