Top level menus with different submenu titles

Top level menus with different submenu titles

Viper007Bond
So I guess my previous e-mail didn't come through, but that's okay as I
figured it out anyway.

When you make a new top-level menu (yes, I'm sure I really need one) and
then another page as a submenu under it, a submenu is also made with the
title of the top-level menu. I didn't want that.

So, I thought I'd share the code I came up with:

http://files.viper007bond.com/wordpress/menu_test.phps

Enjoy and feel free to provide improvement suggestions. :)

- Viper007Bond

Re: Top level menus with different submenu titles

Dan Kuykendall

I accomplished this in podpress without having to go back and remove
some submenu

Relevant code

if (function_exists('add_menu_page')) {
  add_menu_page(__('podPress'), __('podPress'), $permission_needed,
'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
}

if (function_exists('add_submenu_page')) {

  add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Feed/iTunes
Settings'), __('Feed/iTunes Settings'), $permission_needed,
'podpress/podpress_feed.php');

  add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('General Settings'),
__('General Settings'), $permission_needed,
'podpress/podpress_general.php');

  add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Player Settings'),
__('Player Settings'), $permission_needed, 'podpress/podpress_players.php');
  if($podPress->settings['enableStats'] == true) {

    add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Stats'),
__('Stats'), $permission_needed, 'podpress/podpress_stats.php');
  }
}
                        }
                }

Viper007Bond wrote:

> So I guess my previous e-mail didn't come through, but that's okay as I
> figured it out anyway.
>
> When you make a new top-level menu (yes, I'm sure I really need one) and
> then another page as a submenu under it, a submenu is also made with the
> title of the top-level menu. I didn't want that.
>
> So, I thought I'd share the code I came up with:
>
> http://files.viper007bond.com/wordpress/menu_test.phps
>
> Enjoy and feel free to provide improvement suggestions. :)
>
> - Viper007Bond

- --
Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
http://www.mightyseek.com

In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

Re: Top level menus with different submenu titles

Viper007Bond
But hows does that differ from the documented way? i.e. how does that
not make an item in the submenu row called "podPress"?

- Viper

Dan Kuykendall wrote:

> I accomplished this in podpress without having to go back and remove
> some submenu
>
> Relevant code
>
> if (function_exists('add_menu_page')) {
>   add_menu_page(__('podPress'), __('podPress'), $permission_needed,
> 'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
> }
>
> if (function_exists('add_submenu_page')) {
>
>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Feed/iTunes
> Settings'), __('Feed/iTunes Settings'), $permission_needed,
> 'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
>
>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('General Settings'),
> __('General Settings'), $permission_needed,
> 'podpress/podpress_general.php');
>
>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Player Settings'),
> __('Player Settings'), $permission_needed, 'podpress/podpress_players.php');
>   if($podPress->settings['enableStats'] == true) {
>
>     add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Stats'),
> __('Stats'), $permission_needed, 'podpress/podpress_stats.php');
>   }
> }
> }
> }
>

> Viper007Bond wrote:
>> So I guess my previous e-mail didn't come through, but that's okay as I
>> figured it out anyway.
>>
>> When you make a new top-level menu (yes, I'm sure I really need one) and
>> then another page as a submenu under it, a submenu is also made with the
>> title of the top-level menu. I didn't want that.
>>
>> So, I thought I'd share the code I came up with:
>>
>> http://files.viper007bond.com/wordpress/menu_test.phps
>>
>> Enjoy and feel free to provide improvement suggestions. :)
>>
>> - Viper007Bond
>
> - --
> Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
> http://www.mightyseek.com
>
> In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
> Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

RE: Top level menus with different submenu titles

Early, Joe
Hi everyone, just thought I would send round an email saying Hi and a little bit about myself, another new guy to join the ranks.

Well am Joe, also known as diesel online. Currently a software tester for Northbrook Technology of Northern Ireland while doing some home development with php/mysql is which am still learning. Most of my development is done with C#.NET/ASP.NET but am moving to open source development more and more. Anyone want to know anything else just hit me up.

Thanks
Joe

Dan Kuykendall wrote:

> I accomplished this in podpress without having to go back and remove
> some submenu
>
> Relevant code
>
> if (function_exists('add_menu_page')) {
>   add_menu_page(__('podPress'), __('podPress'), $permission_needed,
> 'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
> }
>
> if (function_exists('add_submenu_page')) {
>
>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Feed/iTunes
> Settings'), __('Feed/iTunes Settings'), $permission_needed,
> 'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
>
>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('General Settings'),
> __('General Settings'), $permission_needed,
> 'podpress/podpress_general.php');
>
>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Player Settings'),
> __('Player Settings'), $permission_needed, 'podpress/podpress_players.php');
>   if($podPress->settings['enableStats'] == true) {
>
>     add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Stats'),
> __('Stats'), $permission_needed, 'podpress/podpress_stats.php');
>   }
> }
> }
> }
>

> Viper007Bond wrote:
>> So I guess my previous e-mail didn't come through, but that's okay as I
>> figured it out anyway.
>>
>> When you make a new top-level menu (yes, I'm sure I really need one) and
>> then another page as a submenu under it, a submenu is also made with the
>> title of the top-level menu. I didn't want that.
>>
>> So, I thought I'd share the code I came up with:
>>
>> http://files.viper007bond.com/wordpress/menu_test.phps
>>
>> Enjoy and feel free to provide improvement suggestions. :)
>>
>> - Viper007Bond
>
> - --
> Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
> http://www.mightyseek.com
>
> In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
> Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

A request.

Podz
On the forums list we are working toward a Free Installation service.
We have hit a stumbling block though and we need some code.

The last part of the process for a person using this (which is a
standard blog) will be a form.
The contact form plugin will do the job but we need 3 additions:
1 - that WP generates a number, shows the number to the person and then
when the form is submitted that number comes through to us. This will be
the PIN for authentication.
2 - a check box that indicates they have read everything, agree with it
all etc.
3 - And the appropriate error messages should anything be missing.

I'm aware that the collective minds here may think another method is
better - and that may be the case - but right now the above would be
great. We tend to not be that good with code on the forums list though
so any help offered would be really great.
You could email me or post to the wp-forums list.

Podz

Re: Top level menus with different submenu titles

Ryan Scheuermann
I've done this without removing it later.   You just have to create the
submenu item first, and then add the top level menu right after it using
the same filename and function combination.  This will even keep the
first submenu highlighted when you click on the top level menu.

add_submenu_page("myfile.php",'First Submenu','First
Submenu',"do_stuff", "myfile.php", 'first_sub_page' );

add_menu_page('Menu Tests', 'Menu Tests',"do_stuff","myfile.php",
'first_sub_page');

add_submenu_page("myfile.php",'Second Submenu','Second
Submenu',"do_stuff",'new_page_name', 'second_sub_page');

My example assumes you're using functions in 1 file for each page, of
course.  There is some quirky reason why this works and I remember
really investigating the code for the reason, but I can't remember it at
this moment.  This was a few months ago...

Hope that helps.  :-)

Ryan Scheuermann

----
Concept 64, Inc. | Phone: 610.349.0703 | Web: www.concept64.com

Viper007Bond wrote:

> But hows does that differ from the documented way? i.e. how does that
> not make an item in the submenu row called "podPress"?
>
> - Viper
>
> Dan Kuykendall wrote:
>>
>> I accomplished this in podpress without having to go back and remove
>> some submenu
>>
>> Relevant code
>>
>> if (function_exists('add_menu_page')) {
>>   add_menu_page(__('podPress'), __('podPress'), $permission_needed,
>> 'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
>> }
>>
>> if (function_exists('add_submenu_page')) {
>>
>>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Feed/iTunes
>> Settings'), __('Feed/iTunes Settings'), $permission_needed,
>> 'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
>>
>>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('General Settings'),
>> __('General Settings'), $permission_needed,
>> 'podpress/podpress_general.php');
>>
>>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Player Settings'),
>> __('Player Settings'), $permission_needed,
>> 'podpress/podpress_players.php');
>>   if($podPress->settings['enableStats'] == true) {
>>
>>     add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Stats'),
>> __('Stats'), $permission_needed, 'podpress/podpress_stats.php');
>>   }
>> }
>>             }
>>         }
>>

>> Viper007Bond wrote:
>>> So I guess my previous e-mail didn't come through, but that's okay as I
>>> figured it out anyway.
>>>
>>> When you make a new top-level menu (yes, I'm sure I really need one)
>>> and
>>> then another page as a submenu under it, a submenu is also made with
>>> the
>>> title of the top-level menu. I didn't want that.
>>>
>>> So, I thought I'd share the code I came up with:
>>>
>>> http://files.viper007bond.com/wordpress/menu_test.phps
>>>
>>> Enjoy and feel free to provide improvement suggestions. :)
>>>
>>> - Viper007Bond
>>
>> - --
>> Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
>> http://www.mightyseek.com
>>
>> In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
>> Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

Re: Top level menus with different submenu titles

Viper007Bond
Ooo, I'll try that. Thanks. :)

-Viper

Ryan Scheuermann wrote:

> I've done this without removing it later.   You just have to create the
> submenu item first, and then add the top level menu right after it using
> the same filename and function combination.  This will even keep the
> first submenu highlighted when you click on the top level menu.
>
> add_submenu_page("myfile.php",'First Submenu','First
> Submenu',"do_stuff", "myfile.php", 'first_sub_page' );
> add_menu_page('Menu Tests', 'Menu Tests',"do_stuff","myfile.php",
> 'first_sub_page');
>
> add_submenu_page("myfile.php",'Second Submenu','Second
> Submenu',"do_stuff",'new_page_name', 'second_sub_page');
>
> My example assumes you're using functions in 1 file for each page, of
> course.  There is some quirky reason why this works and I remember
> really investigating the code for the reason, but I can't remember it at
> this moment.  This was a few months ago...
>
> Hope that helps.  :-)
>
> Ryan Scheuermann
>
> ----
> Concept 64, Inc. | Phone: 610.349.0703 | Web: www.concept64.com
>

> Viper007Bond wrote:
>> But hows does that differ from the documented way? i.e. how does that
>> not make an item in the submenu row called "podPress"?
>>
>> - Viper
>>
>> Dan Kuykendall wrote:
>>>
>>> I accomplished this in podpress without having to go back and remove
>>> some submenu
>>>
>>> Relevant code
>>>
>>> if (function_exists('add_menu_page')) {
>>>   add_menu_page(__('podPress'), __('podPress'), $permission_needed,
>>> 'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
>>> }
>>>
>>> if (function_exists('add_submenu_page')) {
>>>
>>>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Feed/iTunes
>>> Settings'), __('Feed/iTunes Settings'), $permission_needed,
>>> 'podpress/podpress_feed.php');
>>>
>>>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('General Settings'),
>>> __('General Settings'), $permission_needed,
>>> 'podpress/podpress_general.php');
>>>
>>>   add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Player Settings'),
>>> __('Player Settings'), $permission_needed,
>>> 'podpress/podpress_players.php');
>>>   if($podPress->settings['enableStats'] == true) {
>>>
>>>     add_submenu_page('podpress/podpress_feed.php', __('Stats'),
>>> __('Stats'), $permission_needed, 'podpress/podpress_stats.php');
>>>   }
>>> }
>>>             }
>>>         }

>>> - --
>>> Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
>>> http://www.mightyseek.com
>>>
>>> In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
>>> Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.

Re: A request.

Podz
Podz wrote:

> On the forums list we are working toward a Free Installation service.
> We have hit a stumbling block though and we need some code.
>
> The last part of the process for a person using this (which is a
> standard blog) will be a form.
> The contact form plugin will do the job but we need 3 additions:
> 1 - that WP generates a number, shows the number to the person and then
> when the form is submitted that number comes through to us. This will be
> the PIN for authentication.
> 2 - a check box that indicates they have read everything, agree with it
> all etc.
> 3 - And the appropriate error messages should anything be missing.

Anyone?
If no-one by the end of the day I'll take it to rentacoder.

P.

RE: Re: A request.

Brian Layman
>Podz wrote:
>The contact form plugin will do the job but we need 3 additions:
> 1 - that WP generates a number, shows the number to the person and
> 2 - a check box that indicates they have read everything, agree with > 3 - And the appropriate error messages should anything be missing.
>If no-one by the end of the day I'll take it to rentacoder.

Generating a unique number, displaying it, putting that value in a hidden field that is part of a submit along with a verification check box, and checking all of that when the submit is done, is probably a 5 minute task for most of us.

You're probably not getting any responses, because we're a little unsure that that's all you'll be wanting. To me, it sounds like you're asking how to do a fairly basic task that will be used with something that already required a much higher skill level to create.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Do you just want one of us to toss up a basic example php file that does what I've described in the first sentence? And if so, would you want the options to be shown in the URL (such that the user could type them all in), or do you want the submitted values to be hidden (probably better)?  Also, do you care how long the number is?  And will it become the user's ID (so that each user MUST get a unique one) or is it just going to be used to verify the person came from the registration page?   If that's not what you want, could you give me/us more information?

Re: A request.

Podz
[hidden email] wrote:

>> Podz wrote:
>> The contact form plugin will do the job but we need 3 additions:
>> 1 - that WP generates a number, shows the number to the person and
>> 2 - a check box that indicates they have read everything, agree with > 3 - And the appropriate error messages should anything be missing.
>> If no-one by the end of the day I'll take it to rentacoder.
>
> Generating a unique number, displaying it, putting that value in a hidden field that is part of a submit along with a verification check box, and checking all of that when the submit is done, is probably a 5 minute task for most of us.
>
> You're probably not getting any responses, because we're a little unsure that that's all you'll be wanting. To me, it sounds like you're asking how to do a fairly basic task that will be used with something that already required a much higher skill level to create.  Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> Do you just want one of us to toss up a basic example php file that does what I've described in the first sentence? And if so, would you want the options to be shown in the URL (such that the user could type them all in), or do you want the submitted values to be hidden (probably better)?  Also, do you care how long the number is?  And will it become the user's ID (so that each user MUST get a unique one) or is it just going to be used to verify the person came from the registration page?   If that's not what you want, could you give me/us more information?

Thanks for replying :)
It's not complex:
http://www.tamba2.org.uk/install/
Follow that through.

What we need is for the person submitting their data to be sure when
they are contacted that the person who contacts them is the real deal.
They have to see the number.
Ideally that number is cc'd to them.
They get an email from us with that number.

Trust issues are another matter - we are just after the authentication.

It's part of something that will live at wordpress.net and operated by
established WP users. The above is just getting it looking and working well.

P.

RE: A request.

Vogel, Andrew (vogelap)
I swear by
http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/secure-form-mailer-plugin-for-wordpr
ess/. It may be able to do what you require.

-drew vogel
www.drewvogel.com

Re: A request.

Podz
Vogel, Andrew (vogelap) wrote:
> I swear by
> http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/secure-form-mailer-plugin-for-wordpr
> ess/. It may be able to do what you require.

Sort of - but the other way round.

The end result is that the user authenticates us because they will be
giving us all their webhost details.

Process:
User completes form and is shown a unique code '56789'
They get a confirmation email that also has that code.
We get the completed form and that unique code as well.
The installer then emails saying "Here is the code 56789, you can trust me."
-so we are proving who we are.

How that code is passed from the form to us (email / database) is up for
discussion - I only thought email because it's simple and straightforward.
But generating, displaying and then distributing the code to the two
parties is beyond what we have been doing. If we can get this going and
tested then we can launch the project - it's the final piece of the jigsaw.

P.

RE: A request.

h0bbel
This is the exact behaviour the Gallery project uses. A user files a ticket
with details (gallery version and so on). A unique code is generated and
displayed to the user (as well as emailed to him). When someone from the
support team contacts the user, we copy the details the user submitted in
the email including the unique identifier.

We have a very basic admin interface where all tickets are listed, and we
can change the status of the tickets like open/pending/in
progress/abandoned/invalid/completed. When someone changes a status for a
ticket from open to pending it gets assigned that user and removed from the
open list.

RE: RE: A request.

Brian Layman
>This is the exact behaviour the Gallery project uses.

I've modified a version of the Contact form to do this too.  I might get time to test it some this afternoon.  It sounds like this Gallery project is already up, tested and working.  But if that doesn't work out for you, I can send you a link for the altered version of the Ryan's ContactForm plugin. (BTW it will work side by side with contact form).

RE: RE: A request.

h0bbel
We, as in Gallery, has this running as a custom Drupal module so it's not
directly portable. I just wanted to help out Podz illustrating what he
needs. :)

Christian

RE: RE: RE: A request.

Brian Layman
>We, as in Gallery, has this running as a custom Drupal module so it's not
>directly portable. I just wanted to help out Podz illustrating what he
>needs. :)
>
>Christian

Ah, well then he should try this blatent hack of Ryan's good work...

http://www.thecodecave.com/downloads/wp-contractform.zip

RE: Re: A request.

Brian Layman
>Podz wrote:
>> On the forums list we are working toward a Free Installation service.
>> We have hit a stumbling block though and we need some code.
>>
>> The last part of the process for a person using this (which is a
>> standard blog) will be a form.
>> The contact form plugin will do the job but we need 3 additions:
>> 1 - that WP generates a number, shows the number to the person and then
>> when the form is submitted that number comes through to us. This will be
>> the PIN for authentication.
>> 2 - a check box that indicates they have read everything, agree with it
>> all etc.
>> 3 - And the appropriate error messages should anything be missing.
>>

>Anyone?
>If no-one by the end of the day I'll take it to rentacoder.
>
>P.

Podz,
I updated the plugin I put together for you. If you tried it over the weekend, it might not have worked as designed.  Here's the link to the updated version:

http://www.thecodecave.com/downloads/plugins/wp-contract-form.zip

http://www.thecodecave.com/?p=133

0.2 REQUIRED RELEASE
Fixed the MD5.  It now uses website instead of email too.  Then the same email contact can be used for multiple websites.
    Removed the CSS styles that were incompatible with my theme (and probably others). They are renamed and can be put back in easily.
    Added carraige returns to the email where needed.
    Made the whole thing WC3 <a href="http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecodecave.com%2F%3Fp%3D133&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline">compliant</a>

0.1 Initial version
    Automatically sends the email to the destination AND the user, reversing the From and To.
    Required the website to be filled in.
    Added a terms field that is customizable.
    Added a customizable “I agree” line
    Added a checkbox and verified it is filled out in the end.
    I did not bother creating a legit POT file for language localization
    Generated a unique ID for the contract.

RE: Re: A request.

Brian Layman
New wp-contract-form Release - This should be the last one.
In anycase it will be the last update posted to the hackers list unless
someone requests otherwise.
>http://www.thecodecave.com/downloads/plugins/wp-contract-form.zip
>http://www.thecodecave.com/?p=133

0.3 REQUIRED RELEASE
    Removed debugging messages
    When Website was blank, Email was highlighted.
    When Agree was blank, an error message was not displayed.