Thoughts for handy features

John Elliot
Hey there.

I love MediaWiki and have been using it everywhere for years. Recently
I've been doing some rather major documentation and I realised there
were two features which would be really handy for me (if these or
similar already exist I would love to know!):

1. For links to articles in sections on the same page it would be really
handy if we had syntax like: [[#unity|]] which would auto-complete to
[[#unity|unity]] for you.

2. For duplicated content it would be handy if you could define a bunch
of "variables" down the bottom of a page and then reference them from
elsewhere. I am aware of templates, but those are overkill and difficult
to maintain per my use case (my use case is documenting the "purpose" of
a computer, I duplicate this in various places, but don't want to
maintain templates for that).

Since I'm here, quick thanks to the MediaWiki community for creating
such wonderful wiki software!

Regards,
John Elliot V
--
E: [hidden email]
P: +61 4 3505 7839

Re: Thoughts for handy features

J.D. Grimes
Hi John,

This list is actually for WordPress developers, but we do use MediawWiki for the docs on the WP Codex, so that's probably where things got confusing. :-) These sound like good ideas though, and things that would have been useful in our own docs, which I've contributed to quite a bit.

I'm not familiar with the MediaWiki mailing lists (if there are any), so I'm afraid I don't know where to direct you from here. Good luck on getting in touch with them though, and hopefully they'll use your suggestions.

-J.D.

> On Aug 29, 2017, at 9:36 AM, John Elliot V <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey there.
>
> I love MediaWiki and have been using it everywhere for years. Recently
> I've been doing some rather major documentation and I realised there
> were two features which would be really handy for me (if these or
> similar already exist I would love to know!):
>
> 1. For links to articles in sections on the same page it would be really
> handy if we had syntax like: [[#unity|]] which would auto-complete to
> [[#unity|unity]] for you.
>
> 2. For duplicated content it would be handy if you could define a bunch
> of "variables" down the bottom of a page and then reference them from
> elsewhere. I am aware of templates, but those are overkill and difficult
> to maintain per my use case (my use case is documenting the "purpose" of
> a computer, I duplicate this in various places, but don't want to
> maintain templates for that).
>
> Since I'm here, quick thanks to the MediaWiki community for creating
> such wonderful wiki software!
>
> Regards,
> John Elliot V
> --
> E: [hidden email]
> P: +61 4 3505 7839
> W: https://www.jj5.net/

Re: Thoughts for handy features

John Elliot
Heya J.D.

Oh my! Imagine making that mistake! :)

Thanks, I'll see if I can track down the right list for my suggestions...

And, well, since I'm here, I've been using WordPress for years too, so
thanks to the WordPress community for creating such wonderful blogging
software! :)

Regards,
John Elliot V

On 29/08/17 23:52, J.D. Grimes wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> This list is actually for WordPress developers, but we do use MediawWiki for the docs on the WP Codex, so that's probably where things got confusing. :-) These sound like good ideas though, and things that would have been useful in our own docs, which I've contributed to quite a bit.
>
> I'm not familiar with the MediaWiki mailing lists (if there are any), so I'm afraid I don't know where to direct you from here. Good luck on getting in touch with them though, and hopefully they'll use your suggestions.
>
> -J.D.
>
>> On Aug 29, 2017, at 9:36 AM, John Elliot V <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey there.
>>
>> I love MediaWiki and have been using it everywhere for years. Recently
>> I've been doing some rather major documentation and I realised there
>> were two features which would be really handy for me (if these or
>> similar already exist I would love to know!):
>>
>> 1. For links to articles in sections on the same page it would be really
>> handy if we had syntax like: [[#unity|]] which would auto-complete to
>> [[#unity|unity]] for you.
>>
>> 2. For duplicated content it would be handy if you could define a bunch
>> of "variables" down the bottom of a page and then reference them from
>> elsewhere. I am aware of templates, but those are overkill and difficult
>> to maintain per my use case (my use case is documenting the "purpose" of
>> a computer, I duplicate this in various places, but don't want to
>> maintain templates for that).
>>
>> Since I'm here, quick thanks to the MediaWiki community for creating
>> such wonderful wiki software!
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Elliot V
>> --