Rewrite problem with %category%

Michael Heilemann
Hey guys n' gals,

I have a fairly peculiar problem on my hands. For K2 we've implemented
an AJAX solution for pages. It's still in infancy, but it works by and
large. That is unless you use %category% in your permalink rewrites,
then it totally breaks, resulting in the loop returning no posts.

We have it well documented here:
http://getk2.com/bugs/view.php?id=247, and currently I'm thinking the
blame lies with WP somehow, though I'm unsure how to go about finding
out whether that's the case or not.

Anyone know anything about this or have any bright ideas?

---
Aloha,
Michael Heilemann
http://binarybonsai.com

Re: Rewrite problem with %category%

Mike Little
On 3/15/06, Michael Heilemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys n' gals,
>
> I have a fairly peculiar problem on my hands. For K2 we've implemented
> an AJAX solution for pages. It's still in infancy, but it works by and
> large. That is unless you use %category% in your permalink rewrites,
> then it totally breaks, resulting in the loop returning no posts.
>
> We have it well documented here:
> http://getk2.com/bugs/view.php?id=247, and currently I'm thinking the
> blame lies with WP somehow, though I'm unsure how to go about finding
> out whether that's the case or not.
>
> Anyone know anything about this or have any bright ideas?

Michael,
Could it perhaps be related to the category-in-url related problem
that Alex mentioned here
http://www.alexking.org/blog/2006/03/13/changes-in-wp-20/

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/

Re: Rewrite problem with %category%

Michael Heilemann
Might be. There seems to be a whole load of issues with using %category% in
rewrites. I found a bunch on the rewrite codex page as well...

Am I right to assume this is a WP issue?

On 3/15/06, Mike Little <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/15/06, Michael Heilemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hey guys n' gals,
> >
> > I have a fairly peculiar problem on my hands. For K2 we've implemented
> > an AJAX solution for pages. It's still in infancy, but it works by and
> > large. That is unless you use %category% in your permalink rewrites,
> > then it totally breaks, resulting in the loop returning no posts.
> >
> > We have it well documented here:
> > http://getk2.com/bugs/view.php?id=247, and currently I'm thinking the
> > blame lies with WP somehow, though I'm unsure how to go about finding
> > out whether that's the case or not.
> >
> > Anyone know anything about this or have any bright ideas?
> >

> Michael,
> Could it perhaps be related to the category-in-url related problem
> that Alex mentioned here
> http://www.alexking.org/blog/2006/03/13/changes-in-wp-20/
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Little
> http://zed1.com/

Aloha,
Michael Heilemann
http://binarybonsai.com

Re: Rewrite problem with %category%

Mike Little
On 3/15/06, Michael Heilemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Might be. There seems to be a whole load of issues with using %category% in
> rewrites. I found a bunch on the rewrite codex page as well...
>
> Am I right to assume this is a WP issue?

It certainly looks that way, though I haven't looked too closely.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/

Re: Rewrite problem with %category%

Jefte Puente
It is unlikely to be WP. I have heard on this list that it is a matter of
the server configuration and the version of Apache running. I've run into
problems with %category% in the past - and others' results vary.

Does %category% work on your site sans-AJAX?

Are you using:
http://boren.nu/archives/2004/10/08/alternative-rewrite-rules/
or: http://boren.nu/archives/2005/03/08/ungreedy-rewrite-plugin/ ?

On 3/15/06, Michael Heilemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Might be. There seems to be a whole load of issues with using %category%
> in
> rewrites. I found a bunch on the rewrite codex page as well...
>
> Am I right to assume this is a WP issue?
>

> On 3/15/06, Mike Little <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 3/15/06, Michael Heilemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hey guys n' gals,
> > >
> > > I have a fairly peculiar problem on my hands. For K2 we've implemented
> > > an AJAX solution for pages. It's still in infancy, but it works by and
> > > large. That is unless you use %category% in your permalink rewrites,
> > > then it totally breaks, resulting in the loop returning no posts.
> > >
> > > We have it well documented here:
> > > http://getk2.com/bugs/view.php?id=247, and currently I'm thinking the
> > > blame lies with WP somehow, though I'm unsure how to go about finding
> > > out whether that's the case or not.
> > >
> > > Anyone know anything about this or have any bright ideas?
> > >

> > Michael,
> > Could it perhaps be related to the category-in-url related problem
> > that Alex mentioned here
> > http://www.alexking.org/blog/2006/03/13/changes-in-wp-20/
> >
> > Mike
> > --
> > Mike Little
> > http://zed1.com/

> Aloha,
> Michael Heilemann
> http://binarybonsai.com

Re: Rewrite problem with %category%

Michael Heilemann
On the rewrite page on the Codes, it says that while the %category%
rewriting was a problem on 1.5 due to Apache versions, on 2.0 it's not
supposed to be...

Yes, it works if you just feed the parameter directly into the site, without
AJAX.

On 3/15/06, Jefte Puente <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is unlikely to be WP. I have heard on this list that it is a matter of
> the server configuration and the version of Apache running. I've run into
> problems with %category% in the past - and others' results vary.
>
> Does %category% work on your site sans-AJAX?
>
> Are you using:
> http://boren.nu/archives/2004/10/08/alternative-rewrite-rules/
> or: http://boren.nu/archives/2005/03/08/ungreedy-rewrite-plugin/ ?
>
> On 3/15/06, Michael Heilemann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Might be. There seems to be a whole load of issues with using %category%
> > in
> > rewrites. I found a bunch on the rewrite codex page as well...
> >
> > Am I right to assume this is a WP issue?

> implemented
> and

> the
> finding

> > > Michael,
> > > Could it perhaps be related to the category-in-url related problem
> > > that Alex mentioned here
> > > http://www.alexking.org/blog/2006/03/13/changes-in-wp-20/
> > >
> > > Mike
> > > --
> > > Mike Little
> > > http://zed1.com/
> > >

> > --
> > Aloha,
> > Michael Heilemann
> > http://binarybonsai.com

Aloha,
Michael Heilemann
http://binarybonsai.com

Re: Rewrite problem with %category%

Jefte Puente
Ok, well I defer to the giants of this list. Sorry I can't help any further.

jefte
http://jefte.net