Rename the wp-admin directory

kaiiser
Hi list members,

I stumbled upon this Q on WPSE<http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/43560/how-do-i-rename-the-wp-admin-folder-with-the-admin-url-filter#comment55078_43560>.
I found it interesting, but never tried it myself, so I have no starting
point to help this guy.

1) Is it actually possible to change the /wp-admin directory name?
2) Is it the correct way he's trying it?
3) Where should he start debugging?

Best wishes,
Kaiser.

*) I'm the 2nd guy in the comments.

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

Dion Hulse (dd32)
Put simply: You can't.

Longer answer: You can hack around things, and get it working, but
you'll loose all ability to upgrade without issue (potentially causing
security issues thanks to running an out of date version), you'll
loose access to certain plugins that rely on /wp-admin/, you'll
potentially loose styling when images are embedded in some
stylesheets, etc.

puclic_html/wordpress-trunk$ grep -r wp-admin * | grep -v '\.svn' |
grep -v 'wp-content' | grep '\.php'
provides 498 good reasons not to attempt it.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying WordPress doesn't
support it, and that it's a waste of your time attempting it.
Both from a "you can do it" perspective, AND from a security
perspective, it's going to provide little protection, given the
alternatives available (proper passwords.. SSL, .htaccess HTTP
Authentication, combination of all of the previous.. etc)

On 27 February 2012 19:48, 24/7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list members,
>
> I stumbled upon this Q on WPSE<http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/43560/how-do-i-rename-the-wp-admin-folder-with-the-admin-url-filter#comment55078_43560>.
> I found it interesting, but never tried it myself, so I have no starting
> point to help this guy.
>
> 1) Is it actually possible to change the /wp-admin directory name?
> 2) Is it the correct way he's trying it?
> 3) Where should he start debugging?
>
> Best wishes,
> Kaiser.
>

> *) I'm the 2nd guy in the comments.

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

kaiiser
@Dion Hulse

Would you mind if I copy/paste your answer to the Q for later readers?

Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012 10:02:40 UTC+1 schrieb Dion Hulse (dd32):

> Put simply: You can't.
>
> Longer answer: You can hack around things, and get it working, but
> you'll loose all ability to upgrade without issue (potentially causing
> security issues thanks to running an out of date version), you'll
> loose access to certain plugins that rely on /wp-admin/, you'll
> potentially loose styling when images are embedded in some
> stylesheets, etc.
>
> puclic_html/wordpress-trunk$ grep -r wp-admin * | grep -v '\.svn' |
> grep -v 'wp-content' | grep '\.php'
> provides 498 good reasons not to attempt it.
>
> I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying WordPress doesn't
> support it, and that it's a waste of your time attempting it.
> Both from a "you can do it" perspective, AND from a security
> perspective, it's going to provide little protection, given the
> alternatives available (proper passwords.. SSL, .htaccess HTTP
> Authentication, combination of all of the previous.. etc)
>
> On 27 February 2012 19:48, 24/7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi list members,
> >
> > I stumbled upon this Q on WPSE<
> http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/43560/how-do-i-rename-the-wp-admin-folder-with-the-admin-url-filter#comment55078_43560
> >.
> > I found it interesting, but never tried it myself, so I have no starting
> > point to help this guy.
> >
> > 1) Is it actually possible to change the /wp-admin directory name?
> > 2) Is it the correct way he's trying it?
> > 3) Where should he start debugging?
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Kaiser.
> >

> > *) I'm the 2nd guy in the comments.

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

Dion Hulse (dd32)
It's a public mailing list. Do whatever you want with the reply, just
don't take things out of context.

On 29 February 2012 07:25, 24/7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @Dion Hulse
>
> Would you mind if I copy/paste your answer to the Q for later readers?
>
> Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012 10:02:40 UTC+1 schrieb Dion Hulse (dd32):
>>
>> Put simply: You can't.
>>
>> Longer answer: You can hack around things, and get it working, but
>> you'll loose all ability to upgrade without issue (potentially causing
>> security issues thanks to running an out of date version), you'll
>> loose access to certain plugins that rely on /wp-admin/, you'll
>> potentially loose styling when images are embedded in some
>> stylesheets, etc.
>>
>> puclic_html/wordpress-trunk$ grep -r wp-admin * | grep -v '\.svn' |
>> grep -v 'wp-content' | grep '\.php'
>> provides 498 good reasons not to attempt it.
>>
>> I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying WordPress doesn't
>> support it, and that it's a waste of your time attempting it.
>> Both from a "you can do it" perspective, AND from a security
>> perspective, it's going to provide little protection, given the
>> alternatives available (proper passwords.. SSL, .htaccess HTTP
>> Authentication, combination of all of the previous.. etc)
>>
>> On 27 February 2012 19:48, 24/7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi list members,
>> >
>> > I stumbled upon this Q on WPSE<
>> http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/43560/how-do-i-rename-the-wp-admin-folder-with-the-admin-url-filter#comment55078_43560
>> >.
>> > I found it interesting, but never tried it myself, so I have no starting
>> > point to help this guy.
>> >
>> > 1) Is it actually possible to change the /wp-admin directory name?
>> > 2) Is it the correct way he's trying it?
>> > 3) Where should he start debugging?
>> >
>> > Best wishes,
>> > Kaiser.
>> >

>> > *) I'm the 2nd guy in the comments.

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

zhaiziming@gmail.com
Why don't you put wp-admin into a subdomain, and block the access to the
main domain of wp-admin?
I use this method in one of my wordpress site, and all admin features
work fine. Check here
<http://www.zhaiziming.com/zZ/2012/put-wordpress-admin-into-a-subdomain/>.

James

On 2/28/2012 3:11 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:

> It's a public mailing list. Do whatever you want with the reply, just
> don't take things out of context.
>
> On 29 February 2012 07:25, 24/7<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> @Dion Hulse
>>
>> Would you mind if I copy/paste your answer to the Q for later readers?
>>
>> Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012 10:02:40 UTC+1 schrieb Dion Hulse (dd32):
>>> Put simply: You can't.
>>>
>>> Longer answer: You can hack around things, and get it working, but
>>> you'll loose all ability to upgrade without issue (potentially causing
>>> security issues thanks to running an out of date version), you'll
>>> loose access to certain plugins that rely on /wp-admin/, you'll
>>> potentially loose styling when images are embedded in some
>>> stylesheets, etc.
>>>
>>> puclic_html/wordpress-trunk$ grep -r wp-admin * | grep -v '\.svn' |
>>> grep -v 'wp-content' | grep '\.php'
>>> provides 498 good reasons not to attempt it.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying WordPress doesn't
>>> support it, and that it's a waste of your time attempting it.
>>> Both from a "you can do it" perspective, AND from a security
>>> perspective, it's going to provide little protection, given the
>>> alternatives available (proper passwords.. SSL, .htaccess HTTP
>>> Authentication, combination of all of the previous.. etc)

>>> http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/43560/how-do-i-rename-the-wp-admin-folder-with-the-admin-url-filter#comment55078_43560

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

Daniel Fenn
Hey, I been trying to do that for some time, looking into that now.
Thankyou for sharing :)

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why don't you put wp-admin into a subdomain, and block the access to the
> main domain of wp-admin?
> I use this method in one of my wordpress site, and all admin features work
> fine. Check here
> <http://www.zhaiziming.com/zZ/2012/put-wordpress-admin-into-a-subdomain/>.
>
> James
>

> On 2/28/2012 3:11 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
>>
>> It's a public mailing list. Do whatever you want with the reply, just
>> don't take things out of context.
>>
>> On 29 February 2012 07:25, 24/7<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> @Dion Hulse
>>>
>>> Would you mind if I copy/paste your answer to the Q for later readers?

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

Chris Williams-9
Maybe you'd want to fix the type in the grep command?  I'm sure you meant
"public_html" not "puclic" :)

On 2/28/12 3:11 PM, "Dion Hulse (dd32)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>It's a public mailing list. Do whatever you want with the reply, just
>don't take things out of context.
>
>On 29 February 2012 07:25, 24/7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> @Dion Hulse
>>
>> Would you mind if I copy/paste your answer to the Q for later readers?
>>
>> Am Montag, 27. Februar 2012 10:02:40 UTC+1 schrieb Dion Hulse (dd32):
>>>
>>> Put simply: You can't.
>>>
>>> Longer answer: You can hack around things, and get it working, but
>>> you'll loose all ability to upgrade without issue (potentially causing
>>> security issues thanks to running an out of date version), you'll
>>> loose access to certain plugins that rely on /wp-admin/, you'll
>>> potentially loose styling when images are embedded in some
>>> stylesheets, etc.
>>>
>>> puclic_html/wordpress-trunk$ grep -r wp-admin * | grep -v '\.svn' |
>>> grep -v 'wp-content' | grep '\.php'
>>> provides 498 good reasons not to attempt it.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying WordPress doesn't
>>> support it, and that it's a waste of your time attempting it.
>>> Both from a "you can do it" perspective, AND from a security
>>> perspective, it's going to provide little protection, given the
>>> alternatives available (proper passwords.. SSL, .htaccess HTTP
>>> Authentication, combination of all of the previous.. etc)

>>>http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/43560/how-do-i-rename-the-w
>>>p-admin-folder-with-the-admin-url-filter#comment55078_43560
>>>starting

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

Dion Hulse (dd32)
luckily that wasn't part of the grep, and was just a manually-entered
command-line prefix ;) - But who's to say I don't name it puclic_html?
:)
(As a side note, wow, there's a lot of results for that in google...
plenty of people like me who can't spell!)

On 29 February 2012 12:40, Chris Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe you'd want to fix the type in the grep command?  I'm sure you meant
> "public_html" not "puclic" :)
>
> On 2/28/12 3:11 PM, "Dion Hulse (dd32)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>It's a public mailing list. Do whatever you want with the reply, just
>>don't take things out of context.
>>
>>On 29 February 2012 07:25, 24/7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> @Dion Hulse
>>>
>>> Would you mind if I copy/paste your answer to the Q for later readers?

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

Daniel Fenn
Dion, don't worry, I can't spell that well at times and yep I can
speak engish without too much issues

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> luckily that wasn't part of the grep, and was just a manually-entered
> command-line prefix ;) - But who's to say I don't name it puclic_html?
> :)
> (As a side note, wow, there's a lot of results for that in google...
> plenty of people like me who can't spell!)
>
> On 29 February 2012 12:40, Chris Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Maybe you'd want to fix the type in the grep command?  I'm sure you meant
>> "public_html" not "puclic" :)
>>
>> On 2/28/12 3:11 PM, "Dion Hulse (dd32)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>It's a public mailing list. Do whatever you want with the reply, just
>>>don't take things out of context.

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

Chris Williams-9
And even I couldn't do it right... "type" vs. "typo"... Sheesh :)

On 2/28/12 5:44 PM, "Dion Hulse (dd32)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>luckily that wasn't part of the grep, and was just a manually-entered
>command-line prefix ;) - But who's to say I don't name it puclic_html?
>:)
>(As a side note, wow, there's a lot of results for that in google...
>plenty of people like me who can't spell!)
>
>On 29 February 2012 12:40, Chris Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Maybe you'd want to fix the type in the grep command?  I'm sure you
>>meant
>> "public_html" not "puclic" :)
>>
>> On 2/28/12 3:11 PM, "Dion Hulse (dd32)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>It's a public mailing list. Do whatever you want with the reply, just
>>>don't take things out of context.

Re: Rename the wp-admin directory

Konstantin Kovshenin
Blocking access to wp-admin might be a good idea, but don't forget that
things like admin-ajax.php should be accessible to non-logged in users if
your front-end (theme or plugin) is using the AJAX API which WordPress
provides: http://codex.wordpress.org/AJAX_in_Plugins#Ajax_on_the_Viewer-Facing_Side