Regarding trailing slashes and a desire to lose them

Regarding trailing slashes and a desire to lose them

Rob Mientjes
Hello all,

I was informed that this is a touchy subject, but I want to raise it
anyhow as I just really want to see it change.

Basically, everywhere I look I see WordPress people endorsing trailing
slashes and shooting down people who want it otherwise. I can see why
trailing slashes make sense. For me, personally, they don't on posts
and Pages, however. I consider my posts and Pages objects in the
folder [root]/ or /2006/05/. That itself may be a topic of discussion,
but it is possible, I know it is: why isn't there the option to make
it so? Abolishing non-trailing-slash URIs should be the default
option, tops. Not the sole option.

On that topic, is it possible to modify WordPress (preferably through
a plug-in) to kill the trailing slash on posts and Pages and make sure
everything adheres to that, i.e. w/ trailing slash 301 forwards to
slashless?

-Rob.

Re: Regarding trailing slashes and a desire to lose them

Evan Broder

Re: Regarding trailing slashes and a desire to lose them

Mark Jaquith
On May 2, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Rob Mientjes wrote:

> Basically, everywhere I look I see WordPress people endorsing trailing
> slashes and shooting down people who want it otherwise. I can see why
> trailing slashes make sense. For me, personally, they don't on posts
> and Pages, however. I consider my posts and Pages objects in the
> folder [root]/ or /2006/05/. That itself may be a topic of discussion,
> but it is possible, I know it is: why isn't there the option to make
> it so? Abolishing non-trailing-slash URIs should be the default
> option, tops. Not the sole option.

See this Trac ticket for some history on this issue:
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1485
--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/

On 03/05/06, Mark Jaquith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> See this Trac ticket for some history on this issue:
> http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1485

Hm, that's some slow-moving decision-making. Thanks for that.

On this topic, Joen Asmussen had this idea that, when a page has
subpages (/about has /about/me and /about/weblog), it should be
trailing-slashed, because it is in a sense a folder. This made me
doubt many things. I believe that /about is an object (and don't
anyone start on the server side of this with some folder-redirecting
nonsense), but /about/me would be an object in an object treated as a
folder. I'm not sure how this fits into my scheme yet.

So once again, does anyone have any clueful insights into this? I like
it when the Pages and posts are being treated as objects, but want to
make sure the practice makes sense. (As usual, I will just ignore
extremism.)

Thanks!
-Rob.