Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.

Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.

Mike Little
On 4/25/06, WordPress Trac <[hidden email]> wrote:
> #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
>        Id:  2691       |      Status:  new
> Component:  General    |    Modified:  Tue Apr 25 07:51:49 2006
>  Severity:  normal     |   Milestone:
>     Owner:  anonymous  |    Reporter:  gord
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------

>  When an HTML comment is added in a post, autop adds paragraph ( <p> ) tags
>  around the comment and for multi-line comments line breaks ( <br /> ) are
>  added after every line.  This should not happen in HTML comments.
>
>  This ticket is similar to #712 which was closed with wontfix.  I would
>  like to know why this isn't seen as an issue?  It prevents the addition of
>  RDF and other metadata, not to mention just plain old HTML comments in
>  posts.

> Comment (by skeltoac):
>
>  This is what is implied: nobody who has seen this has found it important
>  enough to spend their time rewriting autop to work around comments. The
>  applicable mantra is "edge case." You are welcome to work up a patch and
>  submit it for testing and consideration.

So, along with dropping the accessibility of WordPress admin, because,
presumably, all those blind, partially-sighted, and physically
disabled people are 'edge case'; we are now dropping the 'standards
compliant' part of WordPress

Whatever happened to:

"WordPress is a state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform
with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability."

Oh wait! It's still there on the web site, perhaps it needs removing.
Or perhaps it needs rewording: Try dropping 'usability' and 'web
standards'. Perhaps add 'coolness' and 'buzz word compliance'.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/

Re: Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.

Andrew Krespanis
I had a look at wpautop and took a stab at it some time last weekend,
unfortunately my regex skillz aren't up to the task :(
At the moment HTML comments cause extra whitespace on-screen caused by
break precedes the comment)

+1 for someone with skills taking it on :)

Re: Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.

Elliotte Harold
Mike Little wrote:

>>  This ticket is similar to #712 which was closed with wontfix.  I would
>>  like to know why this isn't seen as an issue?  It prevents the addition of
>>  RDF and other metadata, not to mention just plain old HTML comments in
>>  posts.

>> Comment (by skeltoac):
>>
>>  This is what is implied: nobody who has seen this has found it important
>>  enough to spend their time rewriting autop to work around comments. The
>>  applicable mantra is "edge case." You are welcome to work up a patch and
>>  submit it for testing and consideration.

If you're willing to accept a patch, please don't close it as wontfix.
First of all, people looking for something to contribute usually won't
search for wontfix issues. Secondly wontfix usually indicates that
you've made a conscious decision that fixing the bug would have other
negative consequences, and therefore you're going to live with the bug.

If that's not the case, then it would be helpful to leave the bug open
or schedule it to a future version of WordPress so other people may
eventually find it and fix it.

--
´╗┐Elliotte Rusty Harold  [hidden email]

Re: Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.

Roy Schestowitz-2
___/ On Tue 25 Apr 2006 09:35:44 BST, [ Mike Little ] wrote : \___

> On 4/25/06, WordPress Trac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.
>>        Id:  2691       |      Status:  new
>> Component:  General    |    Modified:  Tue Apr 25 07:51:49 2006
>>  Severity:  normal     |   Milestone:
>>     Owner:  anonymous  |    Reporter:  gord
>
>>  <snip />
>>
>> Comment (by skeltoac):
>>
>>  This is what is implied: nobody who has seen this has found it important
>>  enough to spend their time rewriting autop to work around comments. The
>>  applicable mantra is "edge case." You are welcome to work up a patch and
>>  submit it for testing and consideration.
>
> So, along with dropping the accessibility of WordPress admin, because,
> presumably, all those blind, partially-sighted, and physically
> disabled people are 'edge case'; we are now dropping the 'standards
> compliant' part of WordPress
>
> Whatever happened to:
>
> "WordPress is a state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform
> with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability."
>
> Oh wait! It's still there on the web site, perhaps it needs removing.
> Or perhaps it needs rewording: Try dropping 'usability' and 'web
> standards'. Perhaps add 'coolness' and 'buzz word compliance'.

Regarding  accessibility, there is a tradeoff involved. Perhaps making the
presentation layer more isolated and less reliant on JS (I know there is a
fallback, but it's iffy) is the way to go. Modularity has been compromised
and lack of compliance with standard further contributes to such issues.

The  administration  panel  is not as 'skinnable' as it  once  was,  which
prevents simplification/enhancement for a variety of purposes. I am yet to
see  how WordPress can be managed from Lynx or a PDA with a small  display
(a  mobile  telephone  perhaps).  The disabled could  contribute  to  such
discussions.  I  can  vividly recall one blind girl from  the  Forum.  She
struggled to run her blog with 2.0.

With  WYSIWYG editing, as well as AJAX-type interfaces, it often  appeared
as  though this idealogy of extension through plug-ins had been  forsaken.
While Windows Vista, KDE and iTunes have fallen victim to greed for flash,
Firefox gives a contrary example.

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     ┬Ž     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E