Re: Contents of wp-hackers digest...

David Anderson-29

On 22/11/15 12:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> Firstly, searching for single words is not the best way to search the
> plugin directory. Single word searches are largely useless. We're searching
> the readme.txt files. What did you expect to find with simplistic searching?
Hi Otto,

Thanks for replying. I wasn't personally suggesting searching using
single-word terms. I was assuming that real-world users do that, and
that giving them better results where possible would be a reasonable
thing to do.

I don't have access to the search engine stats. Some stats on the
average length of searches would be interesting. It may be a non-problem.
> However, "backup" was modified 7 hours ago,
Something interesting seems to have happened on this one. Here's the
ancient "backup" plugin I was referring to via the Internet Archive,
which was the 'live' one until I sent my email:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150905125725/https://wordpress.org/plugins/backup/
It seems that someone then got in with a different one for 1 day:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151122192417/https://wordpress.org/plugins/backup/
. It's now gone: https://wordpress.org/plugins/backup/ - returns no
direct result for that slug.
>   "contact" in the last year, and
That's what I said: '"Contact" - brings up a plugin last modified > a
year ago, tested up to WP 4.0.'. My point wasn't that they're all
necessarily ancient; just that they're not good #1 results for the
search term entered, when all the possible search factors that could be
involved are taken into account (reviews + ratings, downloads, whether
the plugin is maintained, + other indicators of how much the author
cares (e.g. using a banner/icon)).
> "pinterest" I've closed because you brought it up and it is indeed 4 years
> old.
>
> Bringing these up to the plugins email address is indeed the correct
> approach. We weed too.
Thanks. I will do this in future. I was asking because based on a
previous conversation (can't recall which one of the people on the
mailbox it was with), I'd understood that ancient plugins aren't removed
from the directory search because of the possibility that someone may
find their code useful even if they can't run on recent WP versions.
Since that's not the case, I'll just report them directly in future.

David

Re: Contents of wp-hackers digest...

Otto-19
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 4:31 AM, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> However, "backup" was modified 7 hours ago,
>>
> Something interesting seems to have happened on this one.

Yes, something interesting did. I'm still working on that particular one at
the moment. Special case.

My point wasn't that they're all necessarily ancient; just that they're not
> good #1 results for the search term entered, when all the possible search
> factors that could be involved are taken into account

Search is not a popularity contest. Always showing the same plugins all the
time is not good for the community. The results do vary quite a lot, but
really, if somebody is looking for a particular plugin, then we should show
it to them first. As much as possible.

Thanks. I will do this in future. I was asking because based on a previous
> conversation (can't recall which one of the people on the mailbox it was
> with), I'd understood that ancient plugins aren't removed from the
> directory search because of the possibility that someone may find their
> code useful even if they can't run on recent WP versions. Since that's not
> the case, I'll just report them directly in future

We definitely remove plugins from the directory if installing them will
break your site. But not just because they're "old".

-Otto