Question on Nav speed

Luke Bryan
Greetings all,

I have noticed that in profiling Wordpress, wp_get_nav_menu_items() seems
to be a slow function overall in any given page load. Looking through
tickets, it seems others would agree...

It *needs caching*:
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27120

Saving menus apparently can be slow and we shouldn't "call
wp_get_nav_menu_items() in wp_update_nav_menu_item() unless we need to.
(Huge.)"
https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22189

I was wondering if there is any recommendation for optimizing the navs or
if there's anything in-the-works that would improve performance without,
say, adding a site cache plugin?

Best regards,
Luke

Re: Question on Nav speed

Simon Vart
Hi,

Maybe use a transient to cache the menu items ?

> Greetings all,
>
> I have noticed that in profiling Wordpress, wp_get_nav_menu_items() seems
> to be a slow function overall in any given page load. Looking through
> tickets, it seems others would agree...
>
> It *needs caching*:
> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27120
>
> Saving menus apparently can be slow and we shouldn't "call
> wp_get_nav_menu_items() in wp_update_nav_menu_item() unless we need to.
> (Huge.)"
> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22189
>
> I was wondering if there is any recommendation for optimizing the navs or
> if there's anything in-the-works that would improve performance without,
> say, adding a site cache plugin?
>
> Best regards,
> Luke

Re: Question on Nav speed

J.D. Grimes
This is a good place to use fragment caching. Since menus don't change very often, just cache the entire rendered menu in  a transient. I think there are plugins that do this out there. See for example https://github.com/Rarst/fragment-cache <https://github.com/Rarst/fragment-cache>

-J.D.

> On Apr 29, 2017, at 12:48 AM, Luke Bryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings all,
>
> I have noticed that in profiling Wordpress, wp_get_nav_menu_items() seems
> to be a slow function overall in any given page load. Looking through
> tickets, it seems others would agree...
>
> It *needs caching*:
> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27120
>
> Saving menus apparently can be slow and we shouldn't "call
> wp_get_nav_menu_items() in wp_update_nav_menu_item() unless we need to.
> (Huge.)"
> https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22189
>
> I was wondering if there is any recommendation for optimizing the navs or
> if there's anything in-the-works that would improve performance without,
> say, adding a site cache plugin?
>
> Best regards,
> Luke

Re: Question on Nav speed