Preview template

12

Preview template

Kaf Oseo
Who's for adding a preview.php to the template hierarchy? I'm itching
to add something barely useful to the core today...

-Kaf

RE: Preview template

Denis de Bernardy
Can't this be added using the template_redirect hook?

D.

Re: Preview template

Kaf Oseo
Denis de Bernardy wrote:
> Can't this be added using the template_redirect hook?

Yes. It's an easy plugin. But I'm wondering what the consensus is
on it as belonging in the core.

-Kaf

Re: Preview template

Craig-16
Preview would be most welcome as a standard feature.

Craig.

RE: Preview template

Denis de Bernardy
You mean to preview the theme?

Denis

Re: Preview template

Robert Deaton
On 4/14/06, Kaf Oseo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Who's for adding a preview.php to the template hierarchy? I'm itching
> to add something barely useful to the core today...

Barely useful is right, we have the is_preview function for this
purpose (mostly to hide ads that would otherwise 404), and adding a
preview template leaves us open to the dumb theme authors who will
make the preview page look different defeating the purpose of the
preview feature while postimg.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com

Re: Preview template

Kaf Oseo
Denis de Bernardy wrote:
> You mean to preview the theme?

Oui. As in the template used when displaying a post/Page in the post
editor.

-Kaf

Re: Preview template

Kaf Oseo
Robert Deaton wrote:
> Barely useful is right, we have the is_preview function for this
> purpose (mostly to hide ads that would otherwise 404), and adding a
> preview template leaves us open to the dumb theme authors who will
> make the preview page look different defeating the purpose of the
> preview feature while postimg.

See, now that's the sort of feedback I was looking for[1].

-Kaf

[1] I think.

Re: Preview template

Mark Jaquith
On Apr 14, 2006, at 4:54 PM, Robert Deaton wrote:

> adding a
> preview template leaves us open to the dumb theme authors who will
> make the preview page look different defeating the purpose of the
> preview feature while postimg.

+1 on that thought.  My whole goal for the iframe preview was to get
an exact preview of what the post would look like in the blog!  I
can't think of why you would want an inexact preview.
--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/

Re: Preview template

Kaf Oseo
Mark Jaquith wrote:
> I can't think of why you would want an inexact preview.

Here's several:

1. A theme is graphic-intensive and you don't want to wait for it
to load every time you save an edit.

2. You want to view just the content area of your post sans header,
sidebar, etc.

3. You only want to use post preview as a sanity-checker.

Of course, having reasons, even good ones, does not denote a need for
having it in the core (the point of this thread).

-Kaf

Re: Preview template

Andy Skelton
On 4/14/06, Kaf Oseo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Of course, having reasons, even good ones, does not denote a need for
> having it in the core (the point of this thread).

A theme can already use is_preview() to detect when it's displaying a
preview and modify its output.

Andy

Re: Preview template

Robert Deaton
On 4/14/06, Kaf Oseo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mark Jaquith wrote:
> > I can't think of why you would want an inexact preview.
>
> Here's several:
>
> 1. A theme is graphic-intensive and you don't want to wait for it
> to load every time you save an edit.

Its your own site, you should have your own graphics in your browser cache.

> 2. You want to view just the content area of your post sans header,
> sidebar, etc.

At that point, you're looking at the edit box again.

> 3. You only want to use post preview as a sanity-checker.

Same as above.

Robert Deaton wrote:
>> 2. You want to view just the content area of your post sans header,
>> sidebar, etc.
>
> At that point, you're looking at the edit box again.
>
>> 3. You only want to use post preview as a sanity-checker.
>
> Same as above.

Sorry it's not. You can't assign css from a theme to elements and
classes in the editor's textarea.

-Kaf

Re: Preview template

Andy Skelton
On 4/14/06, Kaf Oseo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry it's not. You can't assign css from a theme to elements and
> classes in the editor's textarea.

That is not correct. TinyMCE allows an external editor stylesheet and
WordPress has at least two hooks that give plugins a chance to modify
the tinymce config. You can even edit in Comic Sans.

Andy

Re: Preview template

Rob Miller-4
Robert Deaton wrote:

> On 4/14/06, Kaf Oseo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2. You want to view just the content area of your post sans header,
>> sidebar, etc.
>>

> At that point, you're looking at the edit box again.
>

>> 3. You only want to use post preview as a sanity-checker.
>>

> Same as above.

What about those of us who don't use the WYSIWYG?

--
Rob Miller
http://robm.me.uk/ | http://kantian.co.uk/

Re: Preview template

Craig-16
Good question. The first thing I do on a new install is turn off the WYSIWYG
editor.

Re: Preview template

Rob Miller-4
Craig wrote:
> Good question. The first thing I do on a new install is turn off the WYSIWYG
> editor.

Same here, as do most people I know. The WYSIWYG editor serves a vital
purpose, but it (and its users) shouldn't be accommodated for at the
expense of regular ol' text-box users. If some added functionality has
no effect on WYSIWYG users but would be useful for plain text-box users,
why dismiss it?

On 4/15/06, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  If some added functionality has
> no effect on WYSIWYG users but would be useful for plain text-box users,
> why dismiss it?

The functionality is already there, nothing is being dismissed, you
can already see how your post looks rendered.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com

Re: Preview template

Chris Lott
On 4/14/06, Kaf Oseo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Who's for adding a preview.php to the template hierarchy? I'm itching
> to add something barely useful to the core today...

Coming late, but this seems of marginal value. The delay in the
in-line preview is irksome at times (especially if your main template
uses a lot of rendered content), but it is exact. The difference
between the WYSIWYG editing area and a separate preview template
doesn't seem like it's worth that much-- some leading, etc. I guess if
one posts a lot of inline images and has a fixed width design and
perhaps is *really* obsessive about seeing the precise
font/leading/sizes beforehand...

At the very least it seems like plugin territory.

Re: Preview template

Rob Miller-4
Robert Deaton wrote:

> On 4/15/06, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  If some added functionality has
>> no effect on WYSIWYG users but would be useful for plain text-box users,
>> why dismiss it?
>>

> The functionality is already there, nothing is being dismissed, you
> can already see how your post looks rendered.
>
> --
> --Robert Deaton
> http://somethingunpredictable.com

It would be an enhancement to be able to choose just a rendering of the
text without the need to load the full site, though.