Poposal to improve Admin menu

Stefano-10
I think that the functionality actually provided by the great plugin
from Ozh: Admin Drop Down Menu
(http://frenchfragfactory.net/ozh/my-projects/wordpress-admin-menu-drop-down-css/)
should be included in 2.next release. It' improve the usability,
making jump aorun various admin screen fast.

What do you think?

Email: [hidden email] [hidden email]
Sites: http://www.40annibuttati.it (personal blog)
       http://www.wordpress-it.it (WordPress Italia)

Re: Poposal to improve Admin menu

Douglas Stewart-3
Stefano wrote:
> I think that the functionality actually provided by the great plugin
> from Ozh: Admin Drop Down Menu
> (http://frenchfragfactory.net/ozh/my-projects/wordpress-admin-menu-drop-down-css/)
> should be included in 2.next release. It' improve the usability,
> making jump aorun various admin screen fast.
>
> What do you think?

I get artifacts using Ozh's plugin due to the large number of plugins
that have admin pages on my install. The Options menu is constantly
overrunning the other menus.

Re: Poposal to improve Admin menu

Stefano-10
Il Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:07:01 -0500, Doug Stewart
<[hidden email]> scrive:

>Stefano wrote:
>> I think that the functionality actually provided by the great plugin
>> from Ozh: Admin Drop Down Menu
>> (http://frenchfragfactory.net/ozh/my-projects/wordpress-admin-menu-drop-down-css/)
>> should be included in 2.next release. It' improve the usability,
>> making jump aorun various admin screen fast.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

>I get artifacts using Ozh's plugin due to the large number of plugins
>that have admin pages on my install. The Options menu is constantly
>overrunning the other menus.

 didn't notice it but i have only 5 or 6 plugin with admin page, maybe
turning the 2 level menu to a dropdown menu would help solving the
problem. Moving the plugin admin pages in a specific mennu should
help.

The idea is to have something that allow you to access the second
level options directly without the need to reload page just to have
access to a second level menu, people using slow connection will
apreciate it a lot. :)

Email: [hidden email] [hidden email]
Sites: http://www.40annibuttati.it (personal blog)
       http://www.wordpress-it.it (WordPress Italia)

Re: Poposal to improve Admin menu

Craig-16
On 2/17/06, Stefano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that the functionality actually provided by the great plugin
> from Ozh: Admin Drop Down Menu
> (
> http://frenchfragfactory.net/ozh/my-projects/wordpress-admin-menu-drop-down-css/
> )
> should be included in 2.next release. It' improve the usability,
> making jump aorun various admin screen fast.
>
> What do you think?

I have this plugin installed, and I too have artifacts showing up. Also, I
find it annoying and frustrating that unless I move my mouse in a precisely
linear fashion, the drop down menu continually disappears. In this respect,
it does not add any value to my admin panel workflow, as it is easier to
simply click and click as needed without having to worry about where my
mouse pointer is hovering.

This plugin is best left as a plugin, IMO, and not be part of the core. If
it was part of the core, I would disable it.

Craig.

Re: Poposal to improve Admin menu

Dan Li-5
> Also, I
> find it annoying and frustrating that unless I move my mouse in a precisely
> linear fashion, the drop down menu continually disappears.
[...]
> This plugin is best left as a plugin, IMO, and not be part of the core. If
> it was part of the core, I would disable it.

+1 for frustration and keeping it out of the core.

Regards,
  - Dan Li

Re: Poposal to improve Admin menu

Mark Jaquith
On Feb 17, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Craig wrote:

> This plugin is best left as a plugin, IMO, and not be part of the
> core. If
> it was part of the core, I would disable it.

As-is, I wouldn't put it in core either... but a core patch opens up
more possibilities... things that Ozh couldn't have done with a
strict plugin.  The idea has merit, it just needs the right execution.
--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/

Re: Poposal to improve Admin menu

Dan Li-5
> As-is, I wouldn't put it in core either... but a core patch opens up
> more possibilities... things that Ozh couldn't have done with a
> strict plugin.  The idea has merit, it just needs the right execution.

Yeah...if somebody can make a nice menu like the one on
http://www.foxnews.com/ (a random site from google news), then the
plugin would be very useful.

Regards,
  - Dan Li

Re: Poposal to improve Admin menu

Stefano-10
Il Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:09:50 -0500, Mark Jaquith
<[hidden email]> scrive:

>On Feb 17, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Craig wrote:
>
>> This plugin is best left as a plugin, IMO, and not be part of the
>> core. If
>> it was part of the core, I would disable it.
>
>As-is, I wouldn't put it in core either... but a core patch opens up
>more possibilities... things that Ozh couldn't have done with a
>strict plugin.  The idea has merit, it just needs the right execution.

That's was the idea of my post, the "including" proposal was more
referred to the idea itself than how the plugin actually works.
Getting rid of the 2 click to go to a panel page having a direct
access mayb with a dropdown mmenu or other nice tricks will open the
way to have a 3rd level menu.

Actually plugin can put menus in everyplace they want, i would prefere
to have them acting as the themes that since the new default add
settings menu directly under the theme root menu. if they stay on
Plugins root menu and there is chanche for a 3rd level menu, comlex
plugin can show a structure like:

Plugins-|

        - Plugin1--|
        |   - Setup
        |   - Config
        |   - Remove

        - Plugin2--|
                   - Basic Option
                   - Advanced Option

This will avoid having varius menu around, messng up the standard menu
and avoiding a to much cluttered second level menu for people having
dozens of plugin active