MU Wordpress?

Stuart-13
I know this probably isn't the right place for this question, but I
was wondering if anyone knew when the mu.wordpress.org site will be
back up and running. Apparently the site was moving servers last week,
but the forums are still down - even though they "should be back
tomorrow" (it's been saying this since last week!) :-)

Cheers - Stuart

Re: MU Wordpress?

Matt Mullenweg
Stuart wrote:
> I know this probably isn't the right place for this question, but I
> was wondering if anyone knew when the mu.wordpress.org site will be
> back up and running. Apparently the site was moving servers last week,
> but the forums are still down - even though they "should be back
> tomorrow" (it's been saying this since last week!) :-)

For some value of tomorrow.

--
Matt Mullenweg
  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org

Re: MU Wordpress?

Stuart-13
Err - OK... thanks?

Does anyone else know what the situation is with MU??

On 4/5/06, Matt Mullenweg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stuart wrote:
> > I know this probably isn't the right place for this question, but I
> > was wondering if anyone knew when the mu.wordpress.org site will be
> > back up and running. Apparently the site was moving servers last week,
> > but the forums are still down - even though they "should be back
> > tomorrow" (it's been saying this since last week!) :-)
>
> For some value of tomorrow.
>
> --
> Matt Mullenweg
>   http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Robert Deaton
On 4/5/06, Stuart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Err - OK... thanks?
>
> Does anyone else know what the situation is with MU??

You just got an e-mail from the man himself, the founder of WP, the
guy who is in charge of all the servers, etc. It is doubtful that
anyone else will know anything regarding getting a wp.org site up and
running.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Stuart-13
Yeah - I know who Matt is... just hoping to get a better response from
someone else - "For some value of tomorrow." didn't seem to make sense
to me..??

On 4/5/06, Robert Deaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/5/06, Stuart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Err - OK... thanks?
> >
> > Does anyone else know what the situation is with MU??
>
> You just got an e-mail from the man himself, the founder of WP, the
> guy who is in charge of all the servers, etc. It is doubtful that
> anyone else will know anything regarding getting a wp.org site up and
> running.
>
> --
> --Robert Deaton
> http://somethingunpredictable.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Peter Westwood

On Wed, April 5, 2006 12:41 pm, Stuart wrote:
> Yeah - I know who Matt is... just hoping to get a better response from
> someone else - "For some value of tomorrow." didn't seem to make sense
> to me..??

Maybe "mañana" fits better:
   1. Tomorrow.
   2. At an unspecified future time.

I think what Matt means is it will be back when its back when he has the
time to finish the migration of mu.wordpress.org to the new server

westi
--
Peter Westwood <[hidden email]>
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk

Re: MU Wordpress?

Dave Pappas
Tomorrow = April 5, 2006

On 4/5/06, Peter Westwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, April 5, 2006 12:41 pm, Stuart wrote:
> > Yeah - I know who Matt is... just hoping to get a better response from
> > someone else - "For some value of tomorrow." didn't seem to make sense
> > to me..??
> >

> Maybe "mañana" fits better:
>   1. Tomorrow.
>   2. At an unspecified future time.
>
> I think what Matt means is it will be back when its back when he has the
> time to finish the migration of mu.wordpress.org to the new server
>
> westi
> --
> Peter Westwood <[hidden email]>
> http://blog.ftwr.co.uk

Re: MU Wordpress?

Robert Deaton
On 4/5/06, Stuart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yeah - I know who Matt is... just hoping to get a better response from
> someone else - "For some value of tomorrow." didn't seem to make sense
> to me..??

Tomorrow's value is constantly changing. Today is April 5, and today
tomorrow is April 6th, but on April 6th tomorrow is April 7th, so
really tomorrow has an infinite number of possible values. His point
is, at some point, it will be fixed, but not necessarily by April 6th,
just at some point in the future.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Chris Lott
On 4/5/06, Robert Deaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>His point
> is, at some point, it will be fixed, but not necessarily by April 6th,
> just at some point in the future.

A point which didn't need to be made (clearly it will be back someday)
and whose smug and sarcastic uselesness in response to a valid
question characterizes a lot of what turns people off when they
encounter the WP community. Imagine getting that answer to a question
that was important to YOU?

There are at least a half-dozen professional, useful answers that
ought to come to mind before what was given. After all, presumably
"the man himself" was at least aware of-- if not responsible for-- the
fact that a specific date was given and an implied promise
unfulfilled, giving rise to the obvious and polite question.

Re: MU Wordpress?

Robert Deaton
On 4/5/06, Chris Lott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A point which didn't need to be made (clearly it will be back someday)

It obviously did need to be made, otherwise there wouldn't have been a
reponse saying:

> "For some value of tomorrow." didn't seem to make sense
> to me..??

> and whose smug and sarcastic uselesness in response to a valid
> question characterizes a lot of what turns people off when they
> encounter the WP community. Imagine getting that answer to a question
> that was important to YOU?

If I didn't understand, and someone explained it to me, I wouldn't be
quite as pissed as this mail, I'd be happy that someone stepped aside
and took the time to explain something. Your anger seems to stem from
something else, if you're pissed about the way the community is, open
another thread, don't go on about it to a perfectly fine response
here.

> There are at least a half-dozen professional, useful answers that
> ought to come to mind before what was given. After all, presumably
> "the man himself" was at least aware of-- if not responsible for-- the
> fact that a specific date was given and an implied promise
> unfulfilled, giving rise to the obvious and polite question.

And the question was answered in a not rude and sarcastic way. I
explained what was meant by "for some value of tomorrow." Where that
comes off as sarcastic, I still fail to see, but as there wasn't a
response as I skimmed the replies that explained this in a clear,
concise way, I explained it.

Perhaps your anger is slightly misdirected, it wasn't my choice that
its not fixed today, I simply explained what Matt meant in his
original response. I'm sorry my response wasn't outlined in hearts
with a wonderful "I'm so sorry its not fixed even though I have
nothing to do with the fact that its broken" apology note attached at
the top.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Stuart-13
Thanks for sticking up for me Chris. I took Matt's response as a
brush-off which is why I asked if someone else knew. To me it was a
sensible question and I was hoping for a sensible response.
And I still don't know when it will be back...

On 4/6/06, Robert Deaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/5/06, Chris Lott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > A point which didn't need to be made (clearly it will be back someday)
>
> It obviously did need to be made, otherwise there wouldn't have been a
> reponse saying:
>
> > "For some value of tomorrow." didn't seem to make sense
> > to me..??
>
> > and whose smug and sarcastic uselesness in response to a valid
> > question characterizes a lot of what turns people off when they
> > encounter the WP community. Imagine getting that answer to a question
> > that was important to YOU?
>
> If I didn't understand, and someone explained it to me, I wouldn't be
> quite as pissed as this mail, I'd be happy that someone stepped aside
> and took the time to explain something. Your anger seems to stem from
> something else, if you're pissed about the way the community is, open
> another thread, don't go on about it to a perfectly fine response
> here.
>

> > There are at least a half-dozen professional, useful answers that
> > ought to come to mind before what was given. After all, presumably
> > "the man himself" was at least aware of-- if not responsible for-- the
> > fact that a specific date was given and an implied promise
> > unfulfilled, giving rise to the obvious and polite question.
>
> And the question was answered in a not rude and sarcastic way. I
> explained what was meant by "for some value of tomorrow." Where that
> comes off as sarcastic, I still fail to see, but as there wasn't a
> response as I skimmed the replies that explained this in a clear,
> concise way, I explained it.
>
> Perhaps your anger is slightly misdirected, it wasn't my choice that
> its not fixed today, I simply explained what Matt meant in his
> original response. I'm sorry my response wasn't outlined in hearts
> with a wonderful "I'm so sorry its not fixed even though I have
> nothing to do with the fact that its broken" apology note attached at
> the top.
>

> --
> --Robert Deaton
> http://somethingunpredictable.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Robert Deaton
On 4/5/06, Stuart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for sticking up for me Chris. I took Matt's response as a
> brush-off which is why I asked if someone else knew. To me it was a
> sensible question and I was hoping for a sensible response.
> And I still don't know when it will be back...

Even if you see Matt's response as a brush off, it was no reason for
Chris to attack at me personally.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Stuart-13
I don't know what Chris's agenda is, but I didn't think he was
attacking you personally. I thought he was just commenting on Matt's
original response, and then how the other posters didn't help with the
original question either. Matt's response was a brush-off, and the
other responses were no help either. Chris has obviously seen a bunch
of these smug, no-help posts before.

I still don't know when MU will be back - nor do the others that have
been asking the same question in the forums. Would it be so hard to
just expand on the explanation a bit, instead of just saying
'tomorrow'?

On 4/6/06, Robert Deaton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/5/06, Stuart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks for sticking up for me Chris. I took Matt's response as a
> > brush-off which is why I asked if someone else knew. To me it was a
> > sensible question and I was hoping for a sensible response.
> > And I still don't know when it will be back...
>
> Even if you see Matt's response as a brush off, it was no reason for
> Chris to attack at me personally.
>
> --
> --Robert Deaton
> http://somethingunpredictable.com

RE: MU Wordpress?

Ross M. W. Bennetts
It seems to be back online now...

Ross M. W. Bennetts
[hidden email]
Assistant Webmaster
University of New England
Armidale, Australia

Re: MU Wordpress?

Chris Lott
On 4/5/06, Robert Deaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Even if you see Matt's response as a brush off, it was no reason for
> Chris to attack at me personally.

I wasn't attacking you personally. In fact, I wasn't referring to you
at all except with my rhetorical question that was meant to equate to:
"how would you like Matt's smart answer if it were you asking a
question that was important to you?"

My apologies if it seemed that I was characterizing your post!

Re: MU Wordpress?

Robert Deaton
On 4/5/06, Chris Lott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/5/06, Robert Deaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Even if you see Matt's response as a brush off, it was no reason for
> > Chris to attack at me personally.
>
> I wasn't attacking you personally. In fact, I wasn't referring to you
> at all except with my rhetorical question that was meant to equate to:
> "how would you like Matt's smart answer if it were you asking a
> question that was important to you?"
>
> My apologies if it seemed that I was characterizing your post!
Try hitting the reply button on a post further up in the thread next
time, then. When my name is quoted as the first one with a post like
that, you come off like... well, let's leave it at that.

Ross M. W. Bennetts wrote:
> It seems to be back online now...

They've been up since I sent the first message, which makes the whole
thread rather humorous.

--
Matt Mullenweg
  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Stuart-13
You could have just said that.

On 4/6/06, Matt Mullenweg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ross M. W. Bennetts wrote:
> > It seems to be back online now...
>
> They've been up since I sent the first message, which makes the whole
> thread rather humorous.
>
> --
> Matt Mullenweg
>   http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com

Re: MU Wordpress?

Dave Grijalva
you mean <?php $tomorrow = strtotime('tomorrow'); ?> ?

On 4/5/06, Dave Pappas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tomorrow = April 5, 2006
>
> On 4/5/06, Peter Westwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, April 5, 2006 12:41 pm, Stuart wrote:
> > > Yeah - I know who Matt is... just hoping to get a better response from
> > > someone else - "For some value of tomorrow." didn't seem to make sense
> > > to me..??
> > >

> > Maybe "mañana" fits better:
> >   1. Tomorrow.
> >   2. At an unspecified future time.
> >
> > I think what Matt means is it will be back when its back when he has the
> > time to finish the migration of mu.wordpress.org to the new server
> >
> > westi
> > --
> > Peter Westwood <[hidden email]>
> > http://blog.ftwr.co.uk

Re: MU Wordpress?

Abhay Kumar
I think it's nice to take a step back from frivolous arguments and
focus on some more interesting and rewarding ways to pass the time.

If you're bored, I'm sure someone somewhere has something for you to do :)

Close your eyes, Inhale deeply, Exhale completely, open your eyes and
continue to breathe normally.

It's either that or take your worries out with a good ol-fashioned
barenuckled throwdown in the back alley across from the commercial
area of <insert your city here>.

*sigh*

On 4/6/06, Dave Grijalva <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you mean <?php $tomorrow = strtotime('tomorrow'); ?> ?
>
> On 4/5/06, Dave Pappas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Tomorrow = April 5, 2006

> > > Maybe "mañana" fits better:
> > >   1. Tomorrow.
> > >   2. At an unspecified future time.
> > >
> > > I think what Matt means is it will be back when its back when he has the
> > > time to finish the migration of mu.wordpress.org to the new server
> > >
> > > westi
> > > --
> > > Peter Westwood <[hidden email]>
> > > http://blog.ftwr.co.uk