Link Subcategories

vissud
I've made some changes that will allow you to have true separate link
categories for Wordpress 2.0.  I'm including a small file with the tiny
schema changes and the diff.  I hope someone finds this useful.

http://www.shanebrady.com/files/wp2.0LinkSubCat.tgz

Regards,

Shane P Brady

Re: Link Subcategories

Matt Mullenweg
Shane Brady wrote:
> I've made some changes that will allow you to have true separate link
> categories for Wordpress 2.0.  I'm including a small file with the tiny
> schema changes and the diff.  I hope someone finds this useful.
>
> http://www.shanebrady.com/files/wp2.0LinkSubCat.tgz

This is highly unlikely to be included, given the changes already in the
trunk and the combining of the category and link category system. I
would recommend checking out the latest unstable code and giving it a
whirl to see if it addresses your needs, and it if not consider sending
a patch to our bug tracker here:

http://trac.wordpress.org/

Which is where patches and bugs are reviewed and included.

--
Matt Mullenweg
  http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org

Re: Link Subcategories

vissud
I did check it out, and I didn't like the idea of categories being shared.
I realize from #wordpress that my approach is the opposite of the current
codebase direction.  And that's fine, from discussions on #wordpress, I
thought some people might find it useful.  About 50 people have downloaded
it so far, so at least a few people are interested. :)

On 4/4/06, Matt Mullenweg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Shane Brady wrote:
> > I've made some changes that will allow you to have true separate link
> > categories for Wordpress 2.0.  I'm including a small file with the tiny
> > schema changes and the diff.  I hope someone finds this useful.
> >
> > http://www.shanebrady.com/files/wp2.0LinkSubCat.tgz
>
> This is highly unlikely to be included, given the changes already in the
> trunk and the combining of the category and link category system. I
> would recommend checking out the latest unstable code and giving it a
> whirl to see if it addresses your needs, and it if not consider sending
> a patch to our bug tracker here:
>
> http://trac.wordpress.org/
>
> Which is where patches and bugs are reviewed and included.
>
> --
> Matt Mullenweg
>   http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com

Re: Link Subcategories

Chris Lott
On 4/4/06, Shane Brady <[hidden email]> wrote:
> at least a few people are interested. :)

I, for one, appreciate it. Combining the categorization schemes is a
step backwards in my opinion.

Re: Link Subcategories

Craig-16
I was discussing this in #wordpress earlier today. It seems that part of the
rationale is in making the code that much simpler, and the other is to move
WP away from categories and essentially having a tag system which offers a
lot more flexibility.

I don't claim to know this to be the truth or 100% correct, but that is what
I got out of the talk. On my own blog, I've never conceived of bookmark
categories and post categories to be shared in any way. That's just how my
mindset works; perhaps this new way will offer me some advantages that I
don't yet understand.

Regardless, I'm reserving judgement on this until I understand better the
pros and cons of the changes. For now, it simply makes my list of categories
a lot longer and I have to be a bit more diligent to select the correct
category (tag?).

Craig.

Re: Link Subcategories

Stuart-13
I was involved in a discussion a while back about the differences
between categories and tags. My own opinion is that categories and
tags serve different purposes: categories are used to group posts
together in a logical, structural way, whereas tags are used for
describing the posts in a more free-flowing method. (Wikipedia says it
best: "Tags can be used to specify properties of an object that are
not obvious to the object itself")

In a Wordpress site, categories are often used as a navigational tool
to allow you to group your posts into different sections, e.g.
Politics, Tech, Sports, etc. However, when you combine this with
tagging, you can keep your distinct sections of the site separate with
categories, but then also provide tags which describes each post and
allows deeper searching and linking between posts.

The same concept can be applied to Flickr, which allows you to group
your photos into sets, but also tag each photo with as many tags as
you want. So you can group all your holiday photos from Rome together,
while still be able to bring up a page with all the photos tagged with
'museum'.

I currently use Ultimate Tag Warrior for this, but I would much rather
have the basic tag functionality built into the Wordpress core. Then
plugin authors could build on this by creating tag cloud plugins and
the such.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the original message in
this thread, so sorry if it's off topic - I'm just continuing with the
comment that Craig made above about how categories are being treated
more as tags.

Cheers - Stuart.

On 4/6/06, Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was discussing this in #wordpress earlier today. It seems that part of the
> rationale is in making the code that much simpler, and the other is to move
> WP away from categories and essentially having a tag system which offers a
> lot more flexibility.
>
> I don't claim to know this to be the truth or 100% correct, but that is what
> I got out of the talk. On my own blog, I've never conceived of bookmark
> categories and post categories to be shared in any way. That's just how my
> mindset works; perhaps this new way will offer me some advantages that I
> don't yet understand.
>
> Regardless, I'm reserving judgement on this until I understand better the
> pros and cons of the changes. For now, it simply makes my list of categories
> a lot longer and I have to be a bit more diligent to select the correct
> category (tag?).
>
> Craig.

Re: Link Subcategories

Ryan Boren
Stuart wrote:
> That doesn't really have anything to do with the original message in
> this thread, so sorry if it's off topic - I'm just continuing with the
> comment that Craig made above about how categories are being treated
> more as tags.

Categories are for those folks who organize their sock drawers.  Sick
and wrong, I tell ya.  ;-P

I guess the new combined categories does show a tag bias.  I suppose I'm
in a tag mindset since we've been giving wp.com a very clear tag bias.
We have a global categories pool and encourage using them as tags.  Some
people have over a hundred tags/cats.  If you are a tagger, the combined
categories makes sense and is quite nice.  I had a lot of overlap
between categories and link categories and don't miss the separation one
bit.   If you are a taxonomist, the new system probably doesn't fit your
old, crusty, in-need-of-a-fresh-new-look style. :-)

Let us build a bridge, link hands, and sing bad folk tunes.  How about
this?  If a category has only links assigned to it, don't show it in the
categories box on the post page.  If a category only has posts assigned
to it, don't show it on the links page.  Categories that have neither
links nor posts assigned will show up in both and wait to be claimed.
Typing in a category name in the little create-on-the-fly widget will
create and display the category if it doesn't already exist or just
display the category if it does already exist.

Ryan

Re: Link Subcategories

Chris Lott
Intuitively, the problem is that (and I love tags), I apply (or at
least would like to apply) tags differently to posts than I do links.
For one thing, posts are mine and most links are to sites that are
not. So posts tagged "composition" or "rhetoric" or "consume" as
applied to my own content are pretty different from what one would
find looking at links tagged that way.

I don't go so far as to want to maintain two sets of tags (for me/for
others) or any such thing, but forcing an aggregation seems backwards.

Re: Link Subcategories

Owen Winkler
Chris Lott wrote:
> Intuitively, the problem is that (and I love tags), I apply (or at
> least would like to apply) tags differently to posts than I do links.

Putting aside the tags vs. category argument (which is pointless
considering that the committers are apparently both avid taggers) I'm
still somewhat baffled by the combination of the two.

I certainly see the benefit of having a single shared datastore for the
categories of both links and posts, but I see no utility to users of
WordPress that these two be shared.

If the original intention was as ryan recently said, to make it seem
like they are separate things even though they are not, then everything
makes sense.  But I'm curious about the intentions of having mixed
link/post categories - maybe you're onto something I didn't think of and
I just need it explained a little better.

That said, categories and tags are certainly not the same thing.  Of
course, I do organize my socks - in a manner of speaking.  [1]  :p

Owen

[1]: http://spoken-for.org/archives/2004/10/29/584/

Re: Link Subcategories

Stuart-13
I wish my socks were as organised as my blog...

On 4/6/06, Owen Winkler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Lott wrote:
> > Intuitively, the problem is that (and I love tags), I apply (or at
> > least would like to apply) tags differently to posts than I do links.
>
> Putting aside the tags vs. category argument (which is pointless
> considering that the committers are apparently both avid taggers) I'm
> still somewhat baffled by the combination of the two.
>
> I certainly see the benefit of having a single shared datastore for the
> categories of both links and posts, but I see no utility to users of
> WordPress that these two be shared.
>
> If the original intention was as ryan recently said, to make it seem
> like they are separate things even though they are not, then everything
> makes sense.  But I'm curious about the intentions of having mixed
> link/post categories - maybe you're onto something I didn't think of and
> I just need it explained a little better.
>
> That said, categories and tags are certainly not the same thing.  Of
> course, I do organize my socks - in a manner of speaking.  [1]  :p
>
> Owen
>
> [1]: http://spoken-for.org/archives/2004/10/29/584/

Re: Link Subcategories

Andy Skelton
On 4/5/06, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Categories are for those folks who organize their sock drawers.  Sick
> and wrong, I tell ya.  ;-P

You keep your socks together in a "sock drawer?" THAT is sick. ;-)

Andy

Re: Link Subcategories

Robert Deaton
On 4/6/06, Andy Skelton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Categories are for those folks who organize their sock drawers.  Sick
> > and wrong, I tell ya.  ;-P
>
> You keep your socks together in a "sock drawer?" THAT is sick. ;-)

You all wear socks? THAT'S sick, leather thongs all the way, baby.
(get your mind out of the gutter!)

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com