How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Steve Litt
Hi all,

How do you guys back up Wordpress sites? Do you just back
up the /var/www/blog (or whatever) and then use mysqldump to back up
the Wordpress database?

Would the preceding work on a server where you're just one of many
users (like Bluehost, etc)? If not, how do you do it there, and how do
you test the restorability of your backup?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Shasta Willson-2
I always store a backup away from the hosting account, "just in case".

BackupBuddy (not free) is an absolutely brilliant utility. It not only
makes backups automatic, including sending them to remote storage if you
have it, but it will do all of the database editing when you change a
domain (such as going from localhost development to the live server.) Worth
every single penny if you have more than a site or two to deal with, IMO. I
started looking into other products sold by the company because I'm so
rarely as impressed with the quality of software as I have been with BB.
http://ithemes.com/purchase/backupbuddy/

I'm not affiliated with BB in any way. ;-)

- Shasta

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> How do you guys back up Wordpress sites? Do you just back
> up the /var/www/blog (or whatever) and then use mysqldump to back up
> the Wordpress database?
>
> Would the preceding work on a server where you're just one of many
> users (like Bluehost, etc)? If not, how do you do it there, and how do
> you test the restorability of your backup?
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Thomas Belknap
BackupBuddy. Full stop.

* Note: not an affiliate of iThemes, just a fan-boi!

Tom Belknap
Owner/Editor, DragonFlyEye.Net
Over Drinks columnist, (585) Magazine <http://585mag.com>
Join me:

   - *Inbox:* http://dragonflyeye.net/subscribe
   - *Web*: http://dragonflyeye.net/
   - *Facebook*: https://www.facebook.com/DragonFlyEye.Net
   - *Twitter*: https://twitter.com/dragonflyeye
   - *Google*: https://plus.google.com/u/1/103251482414903117843/posts

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> How do you guys back up Wordpress sites? Do you just back
> up the /var/www/blog (or whatever) and then use mysqldump to back up
> the Wordpress database?
>
> Would the preceding work on a server where you're just one of many
> users (like Bluehost, etc)? If not, how do you do it there, and how do
> you test the restorability of your backup?
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Marcell Tisdol
Hey Steve,

That is one way of doing it. I usually ssh into the server, tar the
directory, log into mysql, dump the database and do what I wish with it...

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> How do you guys back up Wordpress sites? Do you just back
> up the /var/www/blog (or whatever) and then use mysqldump to back up
> the Wordpress database?
>
> Would the preceding work on a server where you're just one of many
> users (like Bluehost, etc)? If not, how do you do it there, and how do
> you test the restorability of your backup?
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Steve Litt
Thanks Marcell,

Do you ever do this on shared hosting where you're just another user?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:43:27 -0400
Marcell Tisdol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Steve,
>
> That is one way of doing it. I usually ssh into the server, tar the
> directory, log into mysql, dump the database and do what I wish with
> it...
>

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Steve Litt
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > How do you guys back up Wordpress sites? Do you just back
> > up the /var/www/blog (or whatever) and then use mysqldump to back up
> > the Wordpress database?
> >
> > Would the preceding work on a server where you're just one of many
> > users (like Bluehost, etc)? If not, how do you do it there, and how
> > do you test the restorability of your backup?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> > Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Marcell Tisdol
Usually shared host (hostmonster, hostgator) don't allow ssh access?

the script goes along the lines of

cd {website directory}
tar -zcvf httpdocs.tar.gz {website directory}
{do what I want :) Move to Amazon s3, another server, download}

I wrote a script last summer and published it

https://github.com/marcelltisdol/StashHouse.sh

We host all of out sites on mediatemple so it's geared more towards that
crowd. However, if you modify it to your system it should work. Lemme know
:)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks Marcell,
>
> Do you ever do this on shared hosting where you're just another user?
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
>

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:43:27 -0400
> Marcell Tisdol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey Steve,
> >
> > That is one way of doing it. I usually ssh into the server, tar the
> > directory, log into mysql, dump the database and do what I wish with
> > it...
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Steve Litt
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > How do you guys back up Wordpress sites? Do you just back
> > > up the /var/www/blog (or whatever) and then use mysqldump to back up
> > > the Wordpress database?
> > >
> > > Would the preceding work on a server where you're just one of many
> > > users (like Bluehost, etc)? If not, how do you do it there, and how
> > > do you test the restorability of your backup?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > SteveT
> > >
> > > Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> > > Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Quincy Kwende
With shared hosts like Hostmonster you can get a dedicated IP in order to use ssh

Sent from my iPhone

On 12 mars 2014, at 18:59, Marcell Tisdol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Usually shared host (hostmonster, hostgator) don't allow ssh access?
>
> the script goes along the lines of
>
> cd {website directory}
> tar -zcvf httpdocs.tar.gz {website directory}
> {do what I want :) Move to Amazon s3, another server, download}
>
> I wrote a script last summer and published it
>
> https://github.com/marcelltisdol/StashHouse.sh
>
> We host all of out sites on mediatemple so it's geared more towards that
> crowd. However, if you modify it to your system it should work. Lemme know
> :)
>

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Thanks Marcell,
>>
>> Do you ever do this on shared hosting where you're just another user?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> SteveT
>>
>> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
>> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
>>

>> On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:43:27 -0400
>> Marcell Tisdol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Steve,
>>>
>>> That is one way of doing it. I usually ssh into the server, tar the
>>> directory, log into mysql, dump the database and do what I wish with
>>> it...

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Jamie Currie
Totally agreed. Started using BackupBuddy a couple of years ago and it's
worth every penny. Have it sync'ing 30+ sites into Dropbox doing db
backups daily and full site backups weekly. If worst comes to worst I
can spin everything back up on a fresh server in under 30 minutes with
minimal data loss.

Jamie Currie
CEO www.wunderdojo.com

>* Note: not an affiliate of iThemes, just a fan-boi!
>
>Tom Belknap
>Owner/Editor, DragonFlyEye.Net
>Over Drinks columnist, (585) Magazine <http://585mag.com>
>Join me:
>
>    - *Inbox:* http://dragonflyeye.net/subscribe
>    - *Web*: http://dragonflyeye.net/
>    - *Facebook*: https://www.facebook.com/DragonFlyEye.Net
>    - *Twitter*: https://twitter.com/dragonflyeye
>    - *Google*: https://plus.google.com/u/1/103251482414903117843/posts
>

>On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Steve Litt
><[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>>  Hi all,
>>
>>  How do you guys back up Wordpress sites? Do you just back
>>  up the /var/www/blog (or whatever) and then use mysqldump to back up
>>  the Wordpress database?
>>
>>  Would the preceding work on a server where you're just one of many
>>  users (like Bluehost, etc)? If not, how do you do it there, and how
>>do
>>  you test the restorability of your backup?
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>
>>  SteveT
>>
>>  Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
>>  Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Hal Burgiss
rsync filesystem and mysqldump to different location, multiple times per
day. Code is always in a local git repo too (backed up of course).

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Jamie Currie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Totally agreed. Started using BackupBuddy a couple of years ago and it's
> worth every penny. Have it sync'ing 30+ sites into Dropbox doing db backups
> daily and full site backups weekly. If worst comes to worst I can spin
> everything back up on a fresh server in under 30 minutes with minimal data
> loss.
>
> Jamie Currie
> CEO www.wunderdojo.com

Hal

Re: How do you guys back up Wordpress sites?

Madalin Ignisca
mysqldump and git. it's the fastest, uses the lowest possible resources,
syncs only needed differences not all files. personal script, using gitlab.

*Madalin Ignisca*
*web developer*
http://imadalin.ro/