Hacking wp-admin/edit-pages.php Page listing

Hacking wp-admin/edit-pages.php Page listing

Paul Menard-2
Greeting all,

I have a client using WP 2.0.2. They seems to really like the concept
of Pages for creating somewhat static content and controlling the
page slug. They like WP Pages  so much they called me last week with
a problem. Seems they have over 100 pages with 5 levels of nesting.
These of course all list on a single page when the editor navigates
to the edit-pages.php page. They requested I provide some hack to
filter the listing or provide some paging process to limit the
display to 20-30 Pages at a time. Not that they have a slow server or
database. I logged in with my admin-level account and it took close
to 15 second for the page to finish loading.

On another client project I've been playing around with some AJAX
Tree view controls for remote server-side directory browsing. I was
thinking I could modify edit-pages.php to provide the display of the
parent-child nodes via a tree view. This should be pretty simple to
implement. As an extra step I'd like to allow the user to drag and
drop a node/item which would in effect change the post_parent value
in WP.

Just wondering if the end result would be useful to anyone else. I've
been looking for some admin plugins or listing of admin area filters
or hooks. This area seems totally vacant. So far I've only found the
admin OS X template skin which is not nearly what I need.

P-

Re: Hacking wp-admin/edit-pages.php Page listing

Rob Miller-4
Paul Menard wrote:

> Greeting all,
>
> I have a client using WP 2.0.2. They seems to really like the concept
> of Pages for creating somewhat static content and controlling the page
> slug. They like WP Pages  so much they called me last week with a
> problem. Seems they have over 100 pages with 5 levels of nesting.
> These of course all list on a single page when the editor navigates to
> the edit-pages.php page. They requested I provide some hack to filter
> the listing or provide some paging process to limit the display to
> 20-30 Pages at a time. Not that they have a slow server or database. I
> logged in with my admin-level account and it took close to 15 second
> for the page to finish loading.
>
> On another client project I've been playing around with some AJAX Tree
> view controls for remote server-side directory browsing. I was
> thinking I could modify edit-pages.php to provide the display of the
> parent-child nodes via a tree view. This should be pretty simple to
> implement. As an extra step I'd like to allow the user to drag and
> drop a node/item which would in effect change the post_parent value in
> WP.
>
> Just wondering if the end result would be useful to anyone else. I've
> been looking for some admin plugins or listing of admin area filters
> or hooks. This area seems totally vacant. So far I've only found the
> admin OS X template skin which is not nearly what I need.
>
> P-

This was mentioned by Matt and I also had the idea of a nested tree view
[1] but never got round to coding anything up. If you do, post it up on
that Trac ticket :)

[1]: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2004

--
Rob Miller