Google Summer of Code 2015

Utkarsh Dixit
Hey,

Any updates regarding GSOC 2015? Is WordPress participating this time? Has
any ideas page been created?

I would like to participate in the Google summer of Code 2015 and would
like to apply under WordPress (I also tried for GSOC 2014 but wasn't
selected). How should I proceed this time? Any ideas that have been
finalised and their mentors decided?

Thanks,
Utkarsh Dixit.
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (+91) 8471880120

Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

Ian Dunn
I haven't heard any discussions yet, and the organization applications
don't even open for another 5 weeks, but we've participated for the past
7 years, so there's a good chance that we will again this year.

You should watch https://make.wordpress.org/core for an announcement,
but it probably won't be for another month or two.

Student applications don't open until March 16th, so you've got plenty
of time to prepare. The next few months are a good time to get involved
with the community and familiar with the codebases by making
contributions. We usually receive a couple hundred applications, but
only accept a handful. The vast majority of applications are from
students with no history of contributing, so you'll have a better chance
if you've proven yourself to be a solid contributor.

Check out the following sites for more information:

* http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2014 - the 2015 guidelines, processes
and projects will probably be similar 2014
* https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/ - basic information on
contributing to Core (most of which also applies to the Meta team)
* https://core.trac.wordpress.org/tickets/good-first-bugs - Core tickets
for new contributors
* https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/report/10 - Meta tickets for new
contributors

On 12/30/14 5:23 AM, Utkarsh Dixit wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Any updates regarding GSOC 2015? Is WordPress participating this time? Has
> any ideas page been created?
>
> I would like to participate in the Google summer of Code 2015 and would
> like to apply under WordPress (I also tried for GSOC 2014 but wasn't
> selected). How should I proceed this time? Any ideas that have been
> finalised and their mentors decided?
>
> Thanks,
> Utkarsh Dixit.
> Email: [hidden email]
> Phone: (+91) 8471880120

Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

Ian Dunn
It sounds like WordPress won't be participating in GSoC this year,
because not enough people have stepped up to coordinate our participation.