GSoC 2014: Form / Survey Plugin

Quincy Kwende
Hello,

I'm a student looking forward to take part in GSoC 2014. I would love to
take part in the Form / Survey Plugin; "This project would focus on
creating a forms/surveys plugin based on the needs of the community
outreach team to support WordCamps and Meetups. "

I haven't been active in the WordPress development community before, but
I'm very interested to one day become a core contributor to the WordPress
project. As part of the requirements to take part in GSoC 2014, I have
written a WordPress Plugin called "Quote me".
Quote me displays a quote rotator and the admin is able to add, edit and
delete Quotes. When Quote me is install, the first time a visitor lands on
your site, she sees a Quote Rotator and she can choose to opt out. When the
visitor lands on the Quote, Quote me sets a session and the visitor won't
see the quote Rotator again until her session expires.  I got my
inspiration for Quote me from Forbes.com. When you visit Forbes for the
first time, Forbes first display a "Thought of the day" before redirecting
to the page you are requesting. I did some modifications in my version; For
instance, I display several quotes (Quote Ratator). You can find Quote me
at https://github.com/quincykwende/quote-me. Also, I just submitted Quote
me for review.

For the Form / Survey Plugin, here is a summary of my User Requirements:

   - Users (admin privilege) would be able to manage forms / surveys (add,
   edit, delete).
   - Users (admin privilege) would be able to set a variety of question
   types / form item; Multiple choice with check boxes, Multiple choice with
   radio button, Multiple choice to select from a drop down, Multiple choice
   for multiple select from a drop down, Single and multiple file upload,
   Regular questions with input field and or text-area for answers
   - Users (admin privilege) would be able to easily add question types and
   do basic theming on the forms (use jQuery to add new form item). (Similar
   to Google Forms)
   - Users (admin privilege) would be able to place form any where on their
   site, For instance on a page, post
   - Users would be able to invite their contacts, colleagues and or
   friends to participate in surveys.
   - Users would be able to share their forms / surveys via Google+,
   Facebook, Twitter etc.
   - Users (admin privilege) would be able view basic reporting / analytics
   of surveys (system shall display statistics and analysis using
   Highercharts; http://www.highcharts.com/ )

I would be glad, if I can get advice and more ideas on the above project in
order to have an awesome plugin.

--
Quincy Kwende
Co-founder at Wasamundi <http://wasamundi.com>

--
Quincy Kwende
Co-founder at Wasamundi <http://wasamundi.com>
Mobile: +23775598106
twitter: quincy_k
gtalk: quincykwende
skype: quincy.kwende
fb: www.facebook.com/quincy.kwende

Re: GSoC 2014: Form / Survey Plugin

Ian Dunn
On 2/27/14, 2:23 PM, Quincy Kwende wrote:
> I haven't been active in the WordPress development community before, but
> I'm very interested to one day become a core contributor to the WordPress
> project.

Hi Quincy, if you're interested in working on Core, then the Forms
project might not be the best one for you. It will focus on building a
plugin, rather than contributing something to WordPress itself. Most of
the other project are related directly to Core, though.

> For the Form / Survey Plugin, here is a summary of my User Requirements:
> [...]
> I would be glad, if I can get advice and more ideas on the above project in
> order to have an awesome plugin.

Don't worry too much about that at this phase; we'll get into details
once an applicant is chosen. For now, just focus on learning more about
WordPress development in general and working on some patches on the Core
trac (if you want to work on a Core project), or the Meta trac (if you
want to work on a Community project).

On 3/1/14, 5:41 PM, Ian Dunn wrote:

> On 2/27/14, 2:23 PM, Quincy Kwende wrote:
>> For the Form / Survey Plugin, here is a summary of my User Requirements:
>> [...]
>> I would be glad, if I can get advice and more ideas on the above
>> project in
>> order to have an awesome plugin.
>
> Don't worry too much about that at this phase; we'll get into details
> once an applicant is chosen. For now, just focus on learning more about
> WordPress development in general and working on some patches on the Core
> trac (if you want to work on a Core project), or the Meta trac (if you
> want to work on a Community project).

Actually, nevermind, I was wrong about that. The instructions on the
Codex do say to work out the basic approach that you'd take. Some of the
other discussions on the Forms project were getting too deep into the
details, but yours was fine.

Your requirements are pretty good. A few things that are missing are:
Question branching; pre-defined forms; And automating data entry from
some form responses into WordCamp.org-specific custom post types. Check
out the some of the other threads for details on those. Sharing forms on
social media networks won't really be needed.

You're on the right track. The next thing I'd do would be to think about
some of the implementation details. How will the data be stored? What
parts of the WordPress API will you use? How will the admin place the
form on their site? etc.

Re: GSoC 2014: Form / Survey Plugin

Quincy Kwende
Hello Ian,

Thanks for  reviewing my requirements. I would start thinking about
the implementation in detail. Also, I have looked at
http://polldaddy.com/ to get some inspirations too.

Also, I have checked out the official coding standards on the Core
Contributor Handbook and related articles as you recommended. I'm
presently modifying my plugin  "Quote me"

Thanks and Best Regards
Quincy

On 3/3/14, Ian Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/1/14, 5:41 PM, Ian Dunn wrote:
>> On 2/27/14, 2:23 PM, Quincy Kwende wrote:
>>> For the Form / Survey Plugin, here is a summary of my User Requirements:
>>> [...]
>>> I would be glad, if I can get advice and more ideas on the above
>>> project in
>>> order to have an awesome plugin.
>>
>> Don't worry too much about that at this phase; we'll get into details
>> once an applicant is chosen. For now, just focus on learning more about
>> WordPress development in general and working on some patches on the Core
>> trac (if you want to work on a Core project), or the Meta trac (if you
>> want to work on a Community project).
>
> Actually, nevermind, I was wrong about that. The instructions on the
> Codex do say to work out the basic approach that you'd take. Some of the
> other discussions on the Forms project were getting too deep into the
> details, but yours was fine.
>
> Your requirements are pretty good. A few things that are missing are:
> Question branching; pre-defined forms; And automating data entry from
> some form responses into WordCamp.org-specific custom post types. Check
> out the some of the other threads for details on those. Sharing forms on
> social media networks won't really be needed.
>
> You're on the right track. The next thing I'd do would be to think about
> some of the implementation details. How will the data be stored? What
> parts of the WordPress API will you use? How will the admin place the
> form on their site? etc.

Quincy Kwende
Co-founder at Wasamundi <http://wasamundi.com>
Mobile: +23775598106
twitter: quincy_k
gtalk: quincykwende
skype: quincy.kwende
fb: www.facebook.com/quincy.kwende

Re: GSoC 2014: Form / Survey Plugin

Quincy Kwende
Hello Ian,

Considering your review of my requirements for the Form / Survey Plugin, I
have been able to come up with a draft proposal,
it can be found @
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tPLCKGRCIWMgYP0kLWXjoSlddbYbT8FSj7VGfoDPolY/edit?usp=sharing

I would be glad if you can review my proposal.

Thanks and Best Regards

On 3/11/14, 6:36 PM, Quincy Kwende wrote:
> Considering your review of my requirements for the Form / Survey Plugin, I
> have been able to come up with a draft proposal,
> it can be found @
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tPLCKGRCIWMgYP0kLWXjoSlddbYbT8FSj7VGfoDPolY/edit?usp=sharing

Hi Quincy, I read through it and it looks great :)

Let me know if you have any questions or need anything else.

Re: GSoC 2014: Form / Survey Plugin

Quincy Kwende
Thanks Ian,

I would keep working on it to make it better.

Is the structure ok ? I used the 2013 GSoc WordPress Template.

Sent from my iPhone

On 3/12/14, 10:06 AM, Quincy Kwende wrote:
> Is the structure ok ? I used the 2013 GSoc WordPress Template.

Yup, that's perfect :)