GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Adam Czyszczoń
Hi,

I'm new to the Wordpress Community but I've already worked with Wordpress
for some time. I would like to contribute to the community and take part in
GSOC 2014.

My idea is to add categorization to the Media Library. This means that when
you add files, you can select category for them. The category can be
selected from predefined categories list, just like it is currently done
when you add posts. Moreover, if you checked "Organize my uploads into
category folders" your media files will be stored in category folders,
which is great. Finally, when you add media files to your post or page you
can browse media by categories so you don't have to browse through
thousands of not related images to find a particular one.

Now you would probably say that there are plugins which can do that. This
is true but those plugins, despite the fact that they look ugly, they
always miss something. For example, even if you find a plugin that allows
you to categorize media properly, still you won't be able to browse with
categories when adding media files to posts/pages or to browse with
categories when making a gallery. Moreover, you will have to move you media
files to created category folders manually. In other words -- media
categorization must be in the core :)

I would like to ask for your opinion concerning this idea. Do you think it
qualifies for GSOC 2014?

Best regards,
Adam

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Frank Bueltge
maybe this help you:
http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/76720/how-to-use-taxonomies-on-attachments-with-the-new-media-library

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Adam Czyszczoń <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the Wordpress Community but I've already worked with Wordpress
> for some time. I would like to contribute to the community and take part in
> GSOC 2014.
>
> My idea is to add categorization to the Media Library. This means that when
> you add files, you can select category for them. The category can be
> selected from predefined categories list, just like it is currently done
> when you add posts. Moreover, if you checked "Organize my uploads into
> category folders" your media files will be stored in category folders,
> which is great. Finally, when you add media files to your post or page you
> can browse media by categories so you don't have to browse through
> thousands of not related images to find a particular one.
>
> Now you would probably say that there are plugins which can do that. This
> is true but those plugins, despite the fact that they look ugly, they
> always miss something. For example, even if you find a plugin that allows
> you to categorize media properly, still you won't be able to browse with
> categories when adding media files to posts/pages or to browse with
> categories when making a gallery. Moreover, you will have to move you media
> files to created category folders manually. In other words -- media
> categorization must be in the core :)
>
> I would like to ask for your opinion concerning this idea. Do you think it
> qualifies for GSOC 2014?
>
> Best regards,
> Adam

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Ian Dunn
On 3/17/14, 6:02 AM, Adam Czyszczoń wrote:
> My idea is to add categorization to the Media Library.

Hi Adam, how long do you think it would take to create a plugin with
that functionality? The project needs to be big enough to fill ~3 months.

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Adam Czyszczoń
Thank you for the info. The plugin you suggested is one of the best
among media categories/taxonomy plugins. However, it lacks some features
that I would like to include (in core media library):

1. no category filter in "insert media",
2. no upload directly to category,
3. media still organized in 'year-month' order, not according to categories.

W dniu 17.03.2014 14:24, Frank Bueltge pisze:

> maybe this help you:
> http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/76720/how-to-use-taxonomies-on-attachments-with-the-new-media-library
>

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Adam Czyszczoń <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to the Wordpress Community but I've already worked with Wordpress
>> for some time. I would like to contribute to the community and take part in
>> GSOC 2014.
>>
>> My idea is to add categorization to the Media Library. This means that when
>> you add files, you can select category for them. The category can be
>> selected from predefined categories list, just like it is currently done
>> when you add posts. Moreover, if you checked "Organize my uploads into
>> category folders" your media files will be stored in category folders,
>> which is great. Finally, when you add media files to your post or page you
>> can browse media by categories so you don't have to browse through
>> thousands of not related images to find a particular one.
>>
>> Now you would probably say that there are plugins which can do that. This
>> is true but those plugins, despite the fact that they look ugly, they
>> always miss something. For example, even if you find a plugin that allows
>> you to categorize media properly, still you won't be able to browse with
>> categories when adding media files to posts/pages or to browse with
>> categories when making a gallery. Moreover, you will have to move you media
>> files to created category folders manually. In other words -- media
>> categorization must be in the core :)
>>
>> I would like to ask for your opinion concerning this idea. Do you think it
>> qualifies for GSOC 2014?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Adam

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Adam Czyszczoń
Hi Ian,

I think that creating such a functionality as a plugin would take less than
3 months. However, making it as a core functionality, considering proper
testing and contributor's handbook for proper coding and project
organization, it would fit to 3 months.
I believe that such a functionality included in a new wordpress release
would be appreciated by the users. What do you think?

On 3/17/14, 12:19 PM, Adam Czyszczoń wrote:
> I think that creating such a functionality as a plugin would take less than
> 3 months. However, making it as a core functionality, considering proper
> testing and contributor's handbook for proper coding and project
> organization, it would fit to 3 months.
> I believe that such a functionality included in a new wordpress release
> would be appreciated by the users. What do you think?

Sounds good, just wanted to make sure :)

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Adam Czyszczoń
It's good to hear that :) Just wanted to know if the project qualifies
for GSoC:)

W dniu 18.03.2014 19:07, Ian Dunn pisze:

> On 3/17/14, 12:19 PM, Adam Czyszczoń wrote:
>> I think that creating such a functionality as a plugin would take
>> less than
>> 3 months. However, making it as a core functionality, considering proper
>> testing and contributor's handbook for proper coding and project
>> organization, it would fit to 3 months.
>> I believe that such a functionality included in a new wordpress release
>> would be appreciated by the users. What do you think?
>
> Sounds good, just wanted to make sure :)

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Adam Czyszczoń
Hi Ian,

Could I ask you for some feedback concerning my GSoC application? There is
still some time left before the deadline. I've put the application on my
blog:
http://czyszczon.com.pl/gsoc-2014-wordpress-proposal-media-categories-in-core/
Full application is already submitted on GSOC website.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter :)
Adam

> On 3/17/14, 12:19 PM, Adam Czyszczoń wrote:
>
>> I think that creating such a functionality as a plugin would take less
>> than
>> 3 months. However, making it as a core functionality, considering proper
>> testing and contributor's handbook for proper coding and project
>> organization, it would fit to 3 months.
>> I believe that such a functionality included in a new wordpress release
>> would be appreciated by the users. What do you think?
>>

> Sounds good, just wanted to make sure :)

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Jen Mylo
Adam,
At this point you should move the questions/commenting to the
application comments section, so that all the reviewing mentors can see
what's said.

On 3/21/14 7:10 AM, Adam Czyszczoń wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Could I ask you for some feedback concerning my GSoC application? There is
> still some time left before the deadline. I've put the application on my
> blog:
> http://czyszczon.com.pl/gsoc-2014-wordpress-proposal-media-categories-in-core/
> Full application is already submitted on GSOC website.
>
> Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter :)
> Adam

>> On 3/17/14, 12:19 PM, Adam Czyszczoń wrote:
>>
>>> I think that creating such a functionality as a plugin would take less
>>> than
>>> 3 months. However, making it as a core functionality, considering proper
>>> testing and contributor's handbook for proper coding and project
>>> organization, it would fit to 3 months.
>>> I believe that such a functionality included in a new wordpress release
>>> would be appreciated by the users. What do you think?
>>>
>> Sounds good, just wanted to make sure :)

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Adam Czyszczoń
Thank you for the information. Do you mean posting the feedback request on
GSOC application comments section or there is some other place for that?

On 3/21/14, 7:50 AM, Adam Czyszczoń wrote:
> Thank you for the information. Do you mean posting the feedback request on
> GSOC application comments section or there is some other place for that?

I pulled up your application and it looks like Mike has already started
giving you some feedback. Myself and the other mentors will be viewing
it and giving feedback over the next few weeks.

Re: GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Adam Czyszczoń
Ok, thanks again.