Extra columns in 3.8?

Luke Bryan
Greetings all,

I noticed wp3.8 dashboard home shows extra columns when the screen is
resized - although it's not obvious to the user what or why there is a box
to drag more widgets to.

Is there a hook or global to set to change it to two columns all the time?
I tried setting the global $screen_layout_columns = 2; but it doesn't work.
Do I need to wait for this bug to be fixed?

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26354

Best regards,
Luke

Re: Extra columns in 3.8?

Andrew Nacin-2
Your screen needs to be at least 1500px for it to jump to three columns.
It's responsive, based on CSS media queries, not anything in PHP. The
obviousness of it could be looked at post-3.8.

There is probably a way to restrict the dashboard to 2 columns in PHP. It
might require adding back the screen option that had existed in 3.7. I'm
not aware of the global $screen_layout_columns doing anything.