Double Postings? Am I seeing double?

Ryan Prins
I'm curious, are other people seeing double postings on all of the threads
recently?

I see one from the original author, then the exact same message follows from
the following address: *Mark Harwood <[hidden email]>

*Any ideas? Just curious if I'm the only one seeing this or not.

Ryan

--
Ryan Prins
[hidden email]

Re: Double Postings? Am I seeing double?

Evan Broder
I got the same thing for 3 or 4 different threads. Actually, I found it
stranger that I got the double postings after about 2 days of complete
silence on the list.

- Evan

Ryan Prins wrote:

> I'm curious, are other people seeing double postings on all of the threads
> recently?
>
> I see one from the original author, then the exact same message follows from
> the following address: *Mark Harwood <[hidden email]>
>
> *Any ideas? Just curious if I'm the only one seeing this or not.
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> Ryan Prins
> [hidden email]
> http://www.lazyi.net

Re: Double Postings? Am I seeing double?

Mark Jaquith
On Mar 15, 2006, at 7:59 PM, Evan Broder wrote:

> I got the same thing for 3 or 4 different threads. Actually, I
> found it stranger that I got the double postings after about 2 days
> of complete silence on the list.

The lists were silent because they were down.  Unfortunately this
coincided with Matt being away at SXSW, so it went unfixed for about
36 hours.  I submitted a ticket to TextDrive, and they brought the
lists back up and said that it was processing the old messages.  The
duplicates could be a combination of people double posting or some
artifact of the system being down.  The latter would be my main
guess.  'course if this message shows up twice, we'll know that
something else is up.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/

Re: Double Postings? Am I seeing double?

Peter Westwood

Re: Double Postings? Am I seeing double?

Roy Schestowitz-2
___/ On Thu 16 Mar 2006 08:19:20 GMT, [ Peter Westwood ] wrote : \___

> Mark Jaquith wrote:
>> On Mar 15, 2006, at 7:59 PM, Evan Broder wrote:
>>
>>> I got the same thing for 3 or 4 different threads. Actually, I found
>>> it stranger that I got the double postings after about 2 days of
>>> complete silence on the list.
>>
>> The lists were silent because they were down.  Unfortunately this
>> coincided with Matt being away at SXSW, so it went unfixed for about 36
>> hours.  I submitted a ticket to TextDrive, and they brought the lists
>> back up and said that it was processing the old messages.  The
>> duplicates could be a combination of people double posting or some
>> artifact of the system being down.  The latter would be my main guess.
>> 'course if this message shows up twice, we'll know that something else
>> is up.
>>

> Suspicously all the "double postings" have the following in them:
>
> - -------------------- m2f --------------------
>
> <snip what="junk">
>
> - -------------------- m2f --------------------
>
> And come from the same server - http://wpg2.ozgreg.com/forums/
>
> Someone is reposting posts back to the lists!
>
> Thankfully it seems to have stopped

Given the sporadic lag in between such posts, it would be wise to assume
this was spam. It forged senders' addresses to get past moderation and used
identical content for  disguise. The forger was not even wise enough to
strip off the appended footer. It must the price of having decent PageRank
in the archives.

Roy

RE: Double Postings? Am I seeing double?

Les Bessant

>> Suspicously all the "double postings" have the following in them:
>>
>> - -------------------- m2f --------------------
>>
>> <snip what="junk">
>>
>> - -------------------- m2f --------------------
>>
>> And come from the same server - http://wpg2.ozgreg.com/forums/
>>
>> Someone is reposting posts back to the lists!
>>
>> Thankfully it seems to have stopped
>
>Given the sporadic lag in between such posts, it would be wise to assume
>this was spam. It forged senders' addresses to get past moderation and used
>identical content for  disguise. The forger was not even wise enough to
>strip off the appended footer. It must the price of having decent PageRank
>in the archives.
>
>Roy

Given that they came in a burst, I'd say it was much more likely that a
misconfigured, or temporarily malfunctioning mail server remailed them. I've
seen this happen a lot when a server is used to collect mail from a POP
account. Server sees that the message is addressed to an address that's not
on its domain (the list address in this case) and "helpfully" sends it out
again.

Often happens with a badly set up Microsoft Small Business Server. It's
great fun when the original recipients of a mailing get hundreds of copies
of the same message.

RE: Double Postings? Am I seeing double?

Roy Schestowitz-2
___/ On Thu 16 Mar 2006 09:01:08 GMT, [ Les Bessant ] wrote : \___

>>> Suspicously all the "double postings" have the following in them:
>>>
>>> - -------------------- m2f --------------------
>>>
>>> <snip what="junk">
>>>
>>> - -------------------- m2f --------------------
>>>
>>> And come from the same server - http:// <burp /> /forums/
>>>
>>> Someone is reposting posts back to the lists!
>>>
>>> Thankfully it seems to have stopped
>>
>> Given the sporadic lag in between such posts, it would be wise to assume
>> this was spam. It forged senders' addresses to get past moderation and used
>> identical content for  disguise. The forger was not even wise enough to
>> strip off the appended footer. It must the price of having decent PageRank
>> in the archives.
>>
>> Roy
>
> Given that they came in a burst, I'd say it was much more likely that a
> misconfigured, or temporarily malfunctioning mail server remailed them. I've
> seen this happen a lot when a server is used to collect mail from a POP
> account. Server sees that the message is addressed to an address that's not
> on its domain (the list address in this case) and "helpfully" sends it out
> again.
>
> Often happens with a badly set up Microsoft Small Business Server. It's
> great fun when the original recipients of a mailing get hundreds of copies
> of the same message.

That's a possibility too, I agree.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/10/server_bug_cripples_dublin_law_firms/

"The problem was attributed to an improper server configuration, causing
five servers to send out more than half a million emails to Dublin
solicitors. The deluge of mail originated with a publishing company's email
marketing message, which was sent to solicitors. When some solicitors
attempted to reply to the mail, a fault in the solicitors' configuration of
Microsoft Small Business Server sent the original email to their entire
email database tens of thousands of times."

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Re: Double Postings? Am I seeing double?

Eric Pierce
I think he just mis-configured Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com/
wiki/Main_Page).  It grabs the messages out of a POP account and
posts them into phpBB.  It can also forward the message on to another
email address after posting.

-Eric