Development for 2.next

12

Development for 2.next

Ryan Boren
A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
implementations.

* Implement the pluggable install functions we discussed earlier.

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2005-November/003321.html

* Build in capability to make a page the home/front page.

Add "Make this page the home page" checkbox to the Create/Edit Page UI.
  Set "front_page" option to the id of the selected page.
In WP_Query::get_posts(), if is_home() and "front_page" is set, set the
page_id to the "front_page" id and run the query.

* Support page drafts.

Bust "static" out of post_status and into post_type.  Add a "post"
post_type.   Reserve post_status for actual status (public, private, draft).

What else?

Ryan

Re: Development for 2.next

Chris Kelly-3
If you're going with a "make this page the home page" solution, what
would be the easiest way to use that in conjunction with a subsection/
Page as the journal?

Perhaps to specify a "make this page the journal page" checkbox as
well? You could add an "journal_page" checkbox, and then make the
wordpress loop look for Is_journal_page

For example, my dream single wordpress install scenario would be the following:

- I want to install Wordpress in my root directory at blah.com.

- I want to have a "static" (non-journal) page (front_page) as my
welcome page in the root directory, where I can list sections, etc.
and have a little welcome splash/ blurb about myself.

- I want to have Pages off of the main welcome page:
blah.com/projects, blah.com/resume, blah.com/aboutme, etc.

- I want to have my journal off of the main welcome page as well:
blah.com/journal, where all my archives would then be rooted off of:
blah.com/journal/archives.

a current WP setup would not give me all of the above (without
resorting to some hacking). I'd have pages off the journal if I
installed it to journal (to get the blog in the journal directory) and
would maybe need another wp install to get the main page working
properly (with a page as front page plugin). And this would all be
using the same theme template.

The journal_page option could also be unchecked and you'd be left with
a Pages-only site implementation, that all share a common theme, which
could be cool as well for photo portfolios and the like. The current
wordpress payout could also be recreated by having one of the pages (a
default page called "index"?) be checked as the front_page and
journal_page.

feature request #2: how about a post draft autosave feature akin to
Gmail's draft autosave?

On 2/1/06, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
> implementations.
>
> * Implement the pluggable install functions we discussed earlier.
>
> http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2005-November/003321.html
>
> * Build in capability to make a page the home/front page.
>
> Add "Make this page the home page" checkbox to the Create/Edit Page UI.
>   Set "front_page" option to the id of the selected page.
> In WP_Query::get_posts(), if is_home() and "front_page" is set, set the
> page_id to the "front_page" id and run the query.
>
> * Support page drafts.
>
> Bust "static" out of post_status and into post_type.  Add a "post"
> post_type.   Reserve post_status for actual status (public, private, draft).
>

> What else?
>
> Ryan

Re: Development for 2.next

Carthik Sharma
On 2/1/06, Chris Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you're going with a "make this page the home page" solution, what
> would be the easiest way to use that in conjunction with a subsection/
> Page as the journal?

http://www.ilfilosofo.com/blog/home-page-control is a plugin that does
precisely this - which was previously discussed on this list.
http://sabarish.net is an example of a blog driven by the plugin.
<snip>

> On 2/1/06, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
> > implementations.
> > * Build in capability to make a page the home/front page.
> >
> > Add "Make this page the home page" checkbox to the Create/Edit Page UI.
> >   Set "front_page" option to the id of the selected page.
> > In WP_Query::get_posts(), if is_home() and "front_page" is set, set the
> > page_id to the "front_page" id and run the query.
This when coupled with a "slug" for the main "blog" page  would be awesome.

Carthik.
--
Ph.D. Candidate
University of Central Florida

Re: Development for 2.next

Chris Kelly-3
Ahh, haven't seen that plugin before. Pretty new to the list :)

thanks for the heads up!

-C

On 2/1/06, Carthik Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/1/06, Chris Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > If you're going with a "make this page the home page" solution, what
> > would be the easiest way to use that in conjunction with a subsection/
> > Page as the journal?
> >
> http://www.ilfilosofo.com/blog/home-page-control is a plugin that does
> precisely this - which was previously discussed on this list.
> http://sabarish.net is an example of a blog driven by the plugin.
> <snip>
>
> > On 2/1/06, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
> > > implementations.
> > > * Build in capability to make a page the home/front page.
> > >
> > > Add "Make this page the home page" checkbox to the Create/Edit Page UI.
> > >   Set "front_page" option to the id of the selected page.
> > > In WP_Query::get_posts(), if is_home() and "front_page" is set, set the
> > > page_id to the "front_page" id and run the query.
> This when coupled with a "slug" for the main "blog" page  would be awesome.
>
> Carthik.
> --
> Ph.D. Candidate
> University of Central Florida
> Homepage: http://carthik.net

Re: Development for 2.next

Owen Winkler
Ryan Boren wrote:
> What else?

* Rework the main post query to use post_status "future" or some other
similar technique.
* Built-in pseudo-cron with matching hooks to go along with future posting.
* Atom 1.0/Feed Engine.
* Implement Atom *commenting/posting* API.
* Rework comments to use API (with new filtering hooks!) instead of
direct queries.
* Rework categories to use API (with new filtering hooks!) instead of
direct queries.
* Include vital notices ("Upgrade available!", "Security release
available!"), customize the feeds, and add more plugin hooks to the
Dashboard.
* Rewrite the rewrite class to be understood by mortals, and perhaps to
better handle (or allow) custom URL structures directly from the admin
panel.
* Better/new default theme - something more easily customized by casual
HTML coders.
* More/better integrated help - direct links on every page to relevant
Codex documentation.
* Improved post/page search functionality.
* Extend themes to the login page, add login hardening (3 strikes, etc.)
* OpenID.
* SQLite.
* Produce fudge swirl ice cream.

Gimme a few minutes to think about it, and I'll come up with more.

Owen

Re: Development for 2.next

Carthik Sharma
On 2/1/06, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
> implementations.
> What else?

A review of the milestone tagets on
http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_1.6

might be beneficial.

Carthik.

> Ryan

Ph.D. Candidate
University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net

Re: Development for 2.next

Sam Angove
On 2/2/06, Owen Winkler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Rework comments to use API (with new filtering hooks!) instead of
> direct queries.

+ comment meta [1]

[1]: http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2006-January/004044.html

* no more serialized arrays in usermeta [2]

[2]: http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2005-December/003630.html

(Incidentally, it might also be nice to move the prefix to its own
column, or replace with the global blog_id -- it's annoyingly hard to
(e.g.) get a list of blogs that a user has access to.)

Re: Development for 2.next

David House
On 02/02/06, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What else?

Revamp the Write Post screen.

--
-David House, [hidden email], http://xmouse.ithium.net

Re: Development for 2.next

Stefano-10
Il Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:33:13 -0800, Ryan Boren <[hidden email]> scrive:

>A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
>implementations.
>What else?

- Improving Rich Editor lallowing more option be available like text
justify coloured text etc.

- Allow internationalization of RIche Editor in tooltips etc.

- GIve in the editors image insertion inside a predefined div classes
(imgright, imgleft, imagecenter) that can be defined by theme to give
framed or dropshadowed picture alligned as user like, with or without
float.

- Improving image uploader, allowing setting thumbails dimension,
clerify better the image menu, allowing few peration on uploaded
image, like resize and rotation.

- Rewiew for IM contact in user profile, actually are shown only few
of the ones abvailable, we have to show all or noone.

If you think could be usuefull i can take a little survey for italian
users and suggest here the 10 top request.

Email: [hidden email] [hidden email]
Sites: http://www.40annibuttati.it
       http://www.wordpress-it.it

Re: Development for 2.next

Michael E. Hancock
From: "Ryan Boren" <[hidden email]>

> A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
> implementations.
>
> What else?

How about discussing, developing, and implementing the framework to properly
TEST the next release?

Urgently need comments regarding the 'framework' proposed in this article:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Testing/XML-RPC_and_Atom_API

Michael E. Hancock

Re: Development for 2.next

Scott johnson-5
Better search.  I don't really understand why Search within Wordpress blogs
doesn't seem to work all that well.  Example:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afuzzyblog.com+money&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
(181 hits)

http://fuzzyblog.com/?s=money
(2 hits)

http://blogdigger.com/search.jsp?q=site%3Afuzzyblog.com+money&sortby=date
(17 hits)

Yes they shouldn't be equivalent since Google is indexing N different HTML
views of the same but there aren't ONLY 2 posts I've written with the term
money.

And, yeah, since I'm a search dork I know that even suggesting this means
I'm basically jumping up and down and saying "I'll do it" (to some extent).
But before I take a hit for the team, anyone willing to go off list with me
on the issue so I understand the details before I ante up to the table and
take it on?

Thanks in advance.
Scott

On 2/2/06, Michael E. Hancock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: "Ryan Boren" <[hidden email]>
>
> > A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
> > implementations.
> >
> > What else?
>
> How about discussing, developing, and implementing the framework to
> properly
> TEST the next release?
>
> Urgently need comments regarding the 'framework' proposed in this article:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Testing/XML-RPC_and_Atom_API
>
> Michael E. Hancock

Re: Development for 2.next

Jon Abad
A little TLC for the Plugin Management screen.
Something along the lines of check boxes and "Turn on selected" and
"turn off selected" would make mass management useful.

It would be nice for upgrading if it also remembered which plugins you
last had on.

Jon

Scott johnson wrote:

> Better search.  I don't really understand why Search within Wordpress blogs
> doesn't seem to work all that well.  Example:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afuzzyblog.com+money&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
> (181 hits)
>
> http://fuzzyblog.com/?s=money
> (2 hits)
>
> http://blogdigger.com/search.jsp?q=site%3Afuzzyblog.com+money&sortby=date
> (17 hits)
>
> Yes they shouldn't be equivalent since Google is indexing N different HTML
> views of the same but there aren't ONLY 2 posts I've written with the term
> money.
>
> And, yeah, since I'm a search dork I know that even suggesting this means
> I'm basically jumping up and down and saying "I'll do it" (to some extent).
> But before I take a hit for the team, anyone willing to go off list with me
> on the issue so I understand the details before I ante up to the table and
> take it on?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Scott
>
> On 2/2/06, Michael E. Hancock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> From: "Ryan Boren" <[hidden email]>
>>

>>> A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
>>> implementations.
>>>
>>> What else?
>>>
>> How about discussing, developing, and implementing the framework to
>> properly
>> TEST the next release?
>>
>> Urgently need comments regarding the 'framework' proposed in this article:
>> http://codex.wordpress.org/Testing/XML-RPC_and_Atom_API
>>
>> Michael E. Hancock

Re: Development for 2.next

Dougal Campbell
Owen Winkler wrote:
> Ryan Boren wrote:
>> What else?
>
> * Built-in pseudo-cron with matching hooks to go along with future posting.

I'd be in favor of pseudo-cron in the core. It would just be such a
useful thing. Interesting plugins could arise from hooks like
'new_hour', 'new_day', 'new_week', 'new_month', and 'new_year', among
other ideas.

> * Atom 1.0/Feed Engine.

+1. Atom 0.3 was deprecated before we released 2.0. We really need to go
ahead and add a proper Atom 1.0 feed.

> * Implement Atom *commenting/posting* API.

+1. However, unless the specs have changed a lot from last time I
looked, this might be problematic. From what I saw, the posting API
required the use of the PUT and DELETE HTTP verbs, in addition to the
usual GET and POST. PUT is supported in most places, but *many* server
configurations don't support HTTP DELETE out of the box. So unless
there's an alternate method in the specs, this might only be doable on a
limited number of web servers.

> * Rework comments to use API (with new filtering hooks!) instead of
> direct queries.

+1. And also +1 for comment meta.

> * Rework categories to use API (with new filtering hooks!) instead of
> direct queries.

+1. We should have category meta, as well. Oh, and to be complete, there
should be link meta for the link manager.

> * Include vital notices ("Upgrade available!", "Security release
> available!"), customize the feeds, and add more plugin hooks to the
> Dashboard.

+1 for upgrade notices. But rather than checking every time you visit
the dashboard, I'd suggest either using a "Check for updates" button, or
a weekly pseudo-cron (see, a use case!).

> * Better/new default theme - something more easily customized by casual
> HTML coders.

Yes, more "official" default themes. Or one really cool, mega-flexible,
backend-configurable one. "Sidebar1: left/right/none", "Sidebar2:
left/right/none", "Footer: yes/no", "Archive links:
Sidebar1/Sidebar2/none", "Choose a header graphic", etc. With separate
settings for the single template. Pipe dream?

> * Improved post/page search functionality.

Global and run-time configuration allowing searching of pages and
comments in addition to posts. A simple recursive descent parser for
boolean logic searches would be pretty cool. "(boot .or. saddle) .and.
horse". I guess that could be a plugin, if we have the right API hooks.

> * Extend themes to the login page, add login hardening (3 strikes, etc.)

Yes, allowing themes to have their own login.php and register.php would
be nice.

Also, pluggable error pages. When MySQL dies, we could check for a
constant in wp-config.php that defines a user-defined error page to
display instead of our usual "Error establishing database connection"
message.

> * Produce fudge swirl ice cream.

Fudge swirl might be a good start. But I think our eventual goal should
be to produce Rocky Road and Tutti Frutti.

--
Dougal Campbell <[hidden email]>
http://dougal.gunters.org/

Re: Development for 2.next

Michael D Adams
> A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
> implementations.
>
> * Support page drafts.
>
> Bust "static" out of post_status and into post_type.  Add a "post"
> post_type.   Reserve post_status for actual status (public, private, draft).

+1 Clarity and meaning in DB columns.

Michael

Re: Development for 2.next

Scott johnson-5
+1 also.  The lack of status on pages versus posts makes my brain hurt.

On 2/2/06, Michael D. Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > A few development ideas for the next release, including proposed
> > implementations.
> >
> > * Support page drafts.
> >
> > Bust "static" out of post_status and into post_type.  Add a "post"
> > post_type.   Reserve post_status for actual status (public, private,
> draft).
>
> +1 Clarity and meaning in DB columns.
>
> Michael

J. Scott Johnson
Ookles launches 2/28/06 - have you signed up yet?
new startup: http://ookles.com/
blog: http://fuzzyblog.com/
podcast: http://techwarstories.com/
[hidden email]
aim: fuzzygroup
cell: 857 222 6459

Re: Development for 2.next

Stefano-10
Il Thu, 02 Feb 2006 14:47:07 -0500, Dougal Campbell
<[hidden email]> scrive:

>> * Include vital notices ("Upgrade available!", "Security release
>> available!"), customize the feeds, and add more plugin hooks to the
>> Dashboard.
>
>+1 for upgrade notices. But rather than checking every time you visit
>the dashboard, I'd suggest either using a "Check for updates" button, or
>a weekly pseudo-cron (see, a use case!).

+1 for the idea to have it a pseudo-cron.

>> * Better/new default theme - something more easily customized by casual
>> HTML coders.
>
>Yes, more "official" default themes. Or one really cool, mega-flexible,
>backend-configurable one. "Sidebar1: left/right/none", "Sidebar2:
>left/right/none", "Footer: yes/no", "Archive links:
>Sidebar1/Sidebar2/none", "Choose a header graphic", etc. With separate
>settings for the single template. Pipe dream?

SOund quite similar a Them i'm working on, with for example space in
Admin Panle to insert the plugins tags and let them shw up without
need to edit core file of the theme, random images in header, bloglogo
fi present, author pict and bio, show calendar or not, programmable
menu and some other stuff. Acytualliy I used Ozh's Theme Toolkit but
planning to switch to self made controla panel for localization
problems.

Email: [hidden email] [hidden email]
Sites: http://www.40annibuttati.it (personal blog)
       http://www.wordpress-it.it (WordPress Italia)

Re: Development for 2.next

Pete Prodoehl

Dougal Campbell wrote:

> Owen Winkler wrote:
>> Ryan Boren wrote:
>>> What else?
>>
>> * Built-in pseudo-cron with matching hooks to go along with future
>> posting.
>
> I'd be in favor of pseudo-cron in the core. It would just be such a
> useful thing. Interesting plugins could arise from hooks like
> 'new_hour', 'new_day', 'new_week', 'new_month', and 'new_year', among
> other ideas.

Hasn't Drupal had a cron-like thing forever? Any Drupal hackers here?
Would it be worth looking at what they did?

Pete

Re: Development for 2.next

Scott johnson-5
I used to hack on drupal and, yes, they do have it.  As a general rule of
thumb the Drupal project's code is *excellent*.  The overall product is too
complex (imho; send flames to /dev/null) but the code quality is great.  I
respect those guys deeply.

If I need to "borrow" code for a project they are often where I turn
honestly.

On 2/2/06, Pete Prodoehl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dougal Campbell wrote:
> > Owen Winkler wrote:
> >>
> >> * Built-in pseudo-cron with matching hooks to go along with future
> >> posting.
> >
> > I'd be in favor of pseudo-cron in the core. It would just be such a
> > useful thing. Interesting plugins could arise from hooks like
> > 'new_hour', 'new_day', 'new_week', 'new_month', and 'new_year', among
> > other ideas.
>
> Hasn't Drupal had a cron-like thing forever? Any Drupal hackers here?
> Would it be worth looking at what they did?
>

> Pete

J. Scott Johnson
Ookles launches 2/28/06 - have you signed up yet?
new startup: http://ookles.com/
blog: http://fuzzyblog.com/
podcast: http://techwarstories.com/
[hidden email]
aim: fuzzygroup
cell: 857 222 6459

Re: Development for 2.next

Douglas Stewart-3
Pete Prodoehl wrote:
> Hasn't Drupal had a cron-like thing forever? Any Drupal hackers here?
> Would it be worth looking at what they did?

Yes, they do.  It's called "cron.php" and you (wait for it) set up a
cron job to run it at regular intervals.

Not quite what we're looking for here, IMNSHO.

Re: Development for 2.next

Scott johnson-5
*chuckle*  That sounds right.  It also sounds a lot like Kjartan's work if I
had to guess.

One approach that's tricky to pull of but I've seen before is to leverage
existing click stream traffic i.e. people reading your blog to trigger the
"cron".  Given that most wordpress blogs have feeds - or are being crawled
by google, etc there should be more than enough traffic to manage this if
there's a hook into the raw traffic stream (I still qualify is noob so I
can't say if there is such a hook or not).

That said this isn't the type of coding that I do well and I'd likely screw
it up if I was to do it so I'm not volunteering for this.

I do think that this type of "psuedo cron" approach would work well and be
very generically useful.

Scott