Customize Uploads directory?

Stephen Rider
Hi —

There used to be a simple setting within the Admin to change the uploads directory, but it’s gone in current versions of WP.  So how are we supposed to do this, officially?

I see that there’s a constant that can be set, but that method appears to be frowned upon by TPtB.

--
Stephen Rider

[hidden email]
http://striderweb.com/nerdaphernalia

Re: Customize Uploads directory?

Otto-19
Generally speaking, you should not change the uploads directory. The
user-facing settings were removed because users were constantly changing
them incorrectly, and thus, instantly breaking their uploads because they
don't understand how web hosting works.

But if you do know what you're doing, then you can edit them directly in
the database. The options are still there and still used, there's just no
easy interface to change them. They're in the options table,
named upload_path and upload_url_path.

There is also the hidden /wp-admin/options.php screen where you can edit
all the options directly. Be careful with that one.

-Otto

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Stephen Rider <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi —
>
> There used to be a simple setting within the Admin to change the uploads
> directory, but it’s gone in current versions of WP.  So how are we supposed
> to do this, officially?
>
> I see that there’s a constant that can be set, but that method appears to
> be frowned upon by TPtB.
>
> --
> Stephen Rider
>
> [hidden email]
> http://striderweb.com/nerdaphernalia

Re: Customize Uploads directory?

Stephen Rider
Ack — How did I forget about the options.php screen.  I’ve been out of this stuff for too long.

Thanks, Otto.