Automatic Plugin Updater

Dave Grijalva
I'm working on a plugin to make it easy to upgrade installed plugins to
their latest versions.  It will operate similarly to the FireFox extension
update system.  I'm wondering if maybe this should be part of the core
instead of a plugin.  Any thoughts?

-dave

Re: Automatic Plugin Updater

Andy Skelton
On 2/17/06, Dave Grijalva <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm working on a plugin to make it easy to upgrade installed plugins to
> their latest versions.  It will operate similarly to the FireFox extension
> update system.  I'm wondering if maybe this should be part of the core
> instead of a plugin.  Any thoughts?

We've learned from the uploading and caching functions just how tricky
it can be to make directories and write files on some setups. Remember
that most people don't leave their plugins directory writable by the
server. Hunt down the people who had the worst troubles (see trac and
the wp-hackers and wp-testers archives) and ask them to test for you.

In the interest of making your work viable as a core feature, take
very good care with security and making it work on as many platforms
as possible.

Andy

Re: Automatic Plugin Updater

Dave Grijalva
Yeah.  I think I'll write it as a plugin and look into core integration once
its stable and tested.  For users without write permissions on the plugins
folder, I can at least allow them to see when there's updates and perhaps
even download them right from there.

-dave

On 2/17/06, Andy Skelton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/17/06, Dave Grijalva <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm working on a plugin to make it easy to upgrade installed plugins to
> > their latest versions.  It will operate similarly to the FireFox
> extension
> > update system.  I'm wondering if maybe this should be part of the core
> > instead of a plugin.  Any thoughts?
>
> We've learned from the uploading and caching functions just how tricky
> it can be to make directories and write files on some setups. Remember
> that most people don't leave their plugins directory writable by the
> server. Hunt down the people who had the worst troubles (see trac and
> the wp-hackers and wp-testers archives) and ask them to test for you.
>
> In the interest of making your work viable as a core feature, take
> very good care with security and making it work on as many platforms
> as possible.
>
> Andy

Re: Automatic Plugin Updater

Ryan Duff-2
Andy Skelton wrote:

> On 2/17/06, Dave Grijalva <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm working on a plugin to make it easy to upgrade installed plugins to
>> their latest versions.  It will operate similarly to the FireFox extension
>> update system.  I'm wondering if maybe this should be part of the core
>> instead of a plugin.  Any thoughts?
>
> We've learned from the uploading and caching functions just how tricky
> it can be to make directories and write files on some setups. Remember
> that most people don't leave their plugins directory writable by the
> server. Hunt down the people who had the worst troubles (see trac and
> the wp-hackers and wp-testers archives) and ask them to test for you.
>
> In the interest of making your work viable as a core feature, take
> very good care with security and making it work on as many platforms
> as possible.
>
> Andy

As a short time user of Dr Dave's plugin manager, I learned how quickly
things can get messed up. Permissions, plugins not working because of
bad permissions, not being able to delete plugins, etc.. I still think
this is a difficult proposition. It would be nice to see it working, but
installing things automatically on a web server and keeping them working
is very different than installing them in a PC environment.

--
Ryan Duff
http://ryanduff.net

Re: Automatic Plugin Updater

Dave Grijalva
Difficult, yes.  Worthwhile if i can make it work, also yes.  At the very
least, being able to quickly see which plugins have updates available and
download them all from within the admin would be very helpful.

On 2/17/06, Ryan Duff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andy Skelton wrote:
> > On 2/17/06, Dave Grijalva <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I'm working on a plugin to make it easy to upgrade installed plugins to
> >> their latest versions.  It will operate similarly to the FireFox
> extension
> >> update system.  I'm wondering if maybe this should be part of the core
> >> instead of a plugin.  Any thoughts?
> >
> > We've learned from the uploading and caching functions just how tricky
> > it can be to make directories and write files on some setups. Remember
> > that most people don't leave their plugins directory writable by the
> > server. Hunt down the people who had the worst troubles (see trac and
> > the wp-hackers and wp-testers archives) and ask them to test for you.
> >
> > In the interest of making your work viable as a core feature, take
> > very good care with security and making it work on as many platforms
> > as possible.
> >
> > Andy
>
> As a short time user of Dr Dave's plugin manager, I learned how quickly
> things can get messed up. Permissions, plugins not working because of
> bad permissions, not being able to delete plugins, etc.. I still think
> this is a difficult proposition. It would be nice to see it working, but
> installing things automatically on a web server and keeping them working
> is very different than installing them in a PC environment.
>
> --
> Ryan Duff
> http://ryanduff.net
> AIM: ryancduff
> irc.freenode.net #wordpress

Re: Automatic Plugin Updater

Owen Winkler
Dave Grijalva wrote:
> Difficult, yes.  Worthwhile if i can make it work, also yes.  At the very
> least, being able to quickly see which plugins have updates available and
> download them all from within the admin would be very helpful.

Mostly already done here:
http://mattread.com/projects/wp-plugins/installer-the-plugin/

Matt also has a more recent version that supports some of the XML-RPC
stuff that we were talking about.  I'm not sure where he is in terms of
release for that version yet, though.

Owen