AutoTheme for WordPress Introduction

Shawn McKenzie
Hi All,

Just to introduce myself, I am Shawn McKenzie, the author of the AutoTheme HTML
Theme System for PHP-Nuke, MDPro, PostNuke, osCommerce and CRE Loaded.

It was fairly easy, so at the request of many users, I adapted AutoTheme to be
used with WordPress.  This opens the door to thousands of great themes for
WordPress users.

AutoTheme allows users to theme any page on their site easily using just an HTML
editor.  AutoTheme also brings the concept of blocks to WordPress, replacing the
side bar with individual blocks that can be placed anywhere on the site.

You can Download a copy and learn all about AutoTheme at http://www.spidean.com/

I look forward to working with all of you, helping as needed, and  I appreciate
any feedback.

Thanks!
-Shawn

Re: AutoTheme for WordPress Introduction

Phu-2
I don't mean to be harsh but I really don't understand the need of such a
system when WP has a fairly capable theme system. It doesn't appear to offer
any significant advantages beyond what's already provided by the core theme
engine.

On 3/15/06, Shawn McKenzie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just to introduce myself, I am Shawn McKenzie, the author of the AutoTheme
> HTML
> Theme System for PHP-Nuke, MDPro, PostNuke, osCommerce and CRE Loaded.
>
> It was fairly easy, so at the request of many users, I adapted AutoTheme
> to be
> used with WordPress.  This opens the door to thousands of great themes for
> WordPress users.
>
> AutoTheme allows users to theme any page on their site easily using just
> an HTML
> editor.  AutoTheme also brings the concept of blocks to WordPress,
> replacing the
> side bar with individual blocks that can be placed anywhere on the site.
>
> You can Download a copy and learn all about AutoTheme at
> http://www.spidean.com/
>
> I look forward to working with all of you, helping as needed, and  I
> appreciate
> any feedback.
>
> Thanks!
> -Shawn

Re: AutoTheme for WordPress Introduction

Jefte Puente
I visited the site hoping to see "thousands" of themes, thinking it would be
nice to see an injection of designs. Seems to be ~495 themes, ported to
various webapps. Upon review, I can with confidence say this is a merchant
peddling his wares. Caveat emptor.

Jefte

On 3/15/06, Phu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't mean to be harsh but I really don't understand the need of such a
> system when WP has a fairly capable theme system. It doesn't appear to
> offer
> any significant advantages beyond what's already provided by the core
> theme
> engine.
>
> On 3/15/06, Shawn McKenzie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just to introduce myself, I am Shawn McKenzie, the author of the
> AutoTheme
> > HTML
> > Theme System for PHP-Nuke, MDPro, PostNuke, osCommerce and CRE Loaded.
> >
> > It was fairly easy, so at the request of many users, I adapted AutoTheme
> > to be
> > used with WordPress.  This opens the door to thousands of great themes
> for
> > WordPress users.
> >
> > AutoTheme allows users to theme any page on their site easily using just
> > an HTML
> > editor.  AutoTheme also brings the concept of blocks to WordPress,
> > replacing the
> > side bar with individual blocks that can be placed anywhere on the site.
> >
> > You can Download a copy and learn all about AutoTheme at
> > http://www.spidean.com/
> >
> > I look forward to working with all of you, helping as needed, and  I
> > appreciate
> > any feedback.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Shawn

Re: AutoTheme for WordPress Introduction

steve caturan
i'm curious what advantage would Autotheme present over using ? is it an
offline html editor that needs to be installed locally, or a remote
server? a WordPress plugin? a PHP-based app that operates outside of
WordPress?

how would I explain to my users that Autotheme is something better than
doing it themselves through
http://codex.wordpress.org/Designing_Themes_for_Public_Release? is it free?

Jefte Puente wrote:

> I visited the site hoping to see "thousands" of themes, thinking it would be
> nice to see an injection of designs. Seems to be ~495 themes, ported to
> various webapps. Upon review, I can with confidence say this is a merchant
> peddling his wares. Caveat emptor.
>
> Jefte
>
> On 3/15/06, Phu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't mean to be harsh but I really don't understand the need of such a
>> system when WP has a fairly capable theme system. It doesn't appear to
>> offer
>> any significant advantages beyond what's already provided by the core
>> theme
>> engine.
>>
>> On 3/15/06, Shawn McKenzie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Just to introduce myself, I am Shawn McKenzie, the author of the
>> AutoTheme
>>> HTML
>>> Theme System for PHP-Nuke, MDPro, PostNuke, osCommerce and CRE Loaded.
>>>
>>> It was fairly easy, so at the request of many users, I adapted AutoTheme
>>> to be
>>> used with WordPress.  This opens the door to thousands of great themes
>> for
>>> WordPress users.
>>>
>>> AutoTheme allows users to theme any page on their site easily using just
>>> an HTML
>>> editor.  AutoTheme also brings the concept of blocks to WordPress,
>>> replacing the
>>> side bar with individual blocks that can be placed anywhere on the site.
>>>
>>> You can Download a copy and learn all about AutoTheme at
>>> http://www.spidean.com/
>>>
>>> I look forward to working with all of you, helping as needed, and  I
>>> appreciate
>>> any feedback.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> -Shawn

Re: AutoTheme for WordPress Introduction

Shawn McKenzie-3
Hi Jefte,

Actually, I resell some of a designer's themes on my site (the 495 is
just one designer), but the thousands of themes are on many other sites,
sites of the theme designers.  Any AutoTheme runs on any AutoTheme
supported platform, even if a theme designer markets it for a specific
platform.  There are many designers in the PHP-Nuke, PostNuke and
several shopping cart system  communities that create great free and
commercial themes for AutoTheme.  Sorry to shake your confidence, but I
am no merchant, the only ware that I peddle is AutoTheme, and at present
I don't have a commercial offering for WordPress, it's all free and GPL.

Hi Phu,

I agree that WP has a capable theme system, but AutoTheme is infinitely
more capable and I didn't develop it for WP.  I had already developed it
and have had tons of requests to port it to WP.  It started out many
years ago for PostNuke and PHP-Nuke and has grown as demand has
dictated.  So now you have something for nothing.  As for the
significant advantages, you would either need to read about it and use
it, or I can briefly outline maybe 5% of the advantages:

1.  You can easily theme any page on your WP site with no PHP, just thru
a WYSIWYG editor.
- users don't have to worry about PHP or even the guts/functions of WP,
just HTML and add some comments that act as AutoTheme tags
2. Extensive Admin interface to configure and control all aspects of
every theme (block placement, what templates are used for what and when,
etc.)
3. Instead of a side bar with multiple pieces (links, pages, categories)
they are individual blocks that can be controlled via a GUI admin and
placed anywhere.
4. Many Extras (plugins that do a variety of things), i.e.:
- Ability to create and use a "printer friendly" theme for every page in
your site and add a link to it on pages.
- program a certain theme to be shown during certain periods of the day
(6pm - 6am)  another (6am - 6pm) etc
- program certain themes for certain dates or date ranges (a summer
theme during the summer or a Christmas theme on Christas, show a random
theme, etc.)
- Custom site entry pages
- Transition or ad pages that can be programed to be shown on load of
certain WP pages every X number of times, etc.

It's a choice.  It doesn't replace the current PHP themes.  You can use
one or the other or both.

If anyone is interested, I can assist with testing or explanations.
Have an open mind and try something that you may end up liking.

Thanks!
-Shawn

Jefte Puente wrote:

>I visited the site hoping to see "thousands" of themes, thinking it would be
>nice to see an injection of designs. Seems to be ~495 themes, ported to
>various webapps. Upon review, I can with confidence say this is a merchant
>peddling his wares. Caveat emptor.
>
>Jefte
>
>On 3/15/06, Phu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I don't mean to be harsh but I really don't understand the need of such a
>>system when WP has a fairly capable theme system. It doesn't appear to
>>offer
>>any significant advantages beyond what's already provided by the core
>>theme
>>engine.
>>
>>On 3/15/06, Shawn McKenzie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Just to introduce myself, I am Shawn McKenzie, the author of the
>>>

>>AutoTheme
>>

>>>HTML
>>>Theme System for PHP-Nuke, MDPro, PostNuke, osCommerce and CRE Loaded.
>>>
>>>It was fairly easy, so at the request of many users, I adapted AutoTheme
>>>to be
>>>used with WordPress.  This opens the door to thousands of great themes
>>>

>>for
>>

>>>WordPress users.
>>>
>>>AutoTheme allows users to theme any page on their site easily using just
>>>an HTML
>>>editor.  AutoTheme also brings the concept of blocks to WordPress,
>>>replacing the
>>>side bar with individual blocks that can be placed anywhere on the site.
>>>
>>>You can Download a copy and learn all about AutoTheme at
>>>http://www.spidean.com/
>>>
>>>I look forward to working with all of you, helping as needed, and  I
>>>appreciate
>>>any feedback.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>-Shawn

Re: AutoTheme for WordPress Introduction

Shawn McKenzie-3
Hi Steve,

Sorry, I just replied to another email that explains some of the
benefits.  AutoTheme actually runs the pre-created or user created HTML
themes and allows the configuration of all aspects of the display /
editing of the HTML via the WordPress admin interface.  It is written in
PHP and is uploaded to a WordPress site.

I would be glad to give a demonstration/introductory presentation if
someone has suggestions on how to accomplish this online.

Also, I would be happy to give everyone access to the admin of my
wordpress demo site as well if you wish.  I just installed it and need
to find a good theme and then I can send you a link/credentials.

Thanks!
-Shawn