Are CPTs meant to be used for listings (like books, movies)?

Are CPTs meant to be used for listings (like books, movies)?

Aahan Krish
Hello,

I have a problem with CPTs. It's not about creating or using them, but
knowing whether they are suitable (or meant) for my use-case.

This is about my personal website. The major part of the site is very
blog-like. I use the permalink structure /%category%/%postname%/ to
organize posts by subject (e.g. notes, science, maths, etc.).

Now I am also planning to list Books and Movies I've read/watched or plan
to read/watch. As for books, I also need three custom taxonomies --
subject, writer, and publisher.

Given the case, should I use CPTs, or simply create 2 new categories
(movies, books) and the three custom taxonomies for use with these
categories? What's the right (or better) way to go about doing it?

PS: I did read Otto's article on this very topic (
http://ottopress.com/2010/wordpress-3-0-and-custom-post-types/), and it
only left me even more confused -- he can only cover so much in a single
post.

best,
Aahan

Re: Are CPTs meant to be used for listings (like books, movies)?

Simon Vart
CPT are posts. Same behaviors, but they are automatically listed in posts
lists (you need to add code to add them in main query or uses CPT archives).
CPT don't use permalinks with the % category% - only the % postname% will
work out of the box.
So if you plan to deal with those posts to be listed and accounted with
regular posts, just use categories.
If they are going to be on separate lists and pages, use CPT.