Archive versions

Luke Bryan
Greetings all,

I noticed something odd when checking the archive page
<https://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/>today:
"None of these are safe to use, except the *latest* in the 4.2 series,
which is actively maintained."

However, you'll notice that there's 4.1.5, 4.0.5, etc. It looks like the
security update the other day is applied to all the major Wordpress
versions that support auto-update?

Why does it say "None of these are safe"? Has this statement just not been
updated since auto-updates for most major versions was implemented?

Best regards,
Luke

Re: Archive versions

abdussamad
Hi,

I think you are being pedantic. If you want to start a new site you
should use the latest version and that's what they mean.

Critical security updates are provided for older versions because auto
updates are restricted to minor versions and if admins haven't logged in
and updated to the latest major version they could find their sites
compromised. Doesn't mean we all should stick to old versions.

Regards,
Abdussamad